Forums Latest Members
  1. calibre 007

calibre 007 Aug 20, 2015

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase my first TAG Heuer watch and I have narrowed it down to two:

2014 Aquaracer 300M Automatic Calibre 5 41mm – WAY2110.BA0910

[​IMG]

2015 Aquaracer 300M Chronograph Quartz 43mm – CAY1110.BA0925

[​IMG]

One is a plain analog and one is a chronograph. One is an automatic, while the other ticks from quartz. They are both priced identically, so I must ask, which market or demographic is each designed for? Since I am in my late 20s, am I too old for a chronograph? Which would you choose?

The retailer I will be most likely purchase from is Macy's.com as I have a 15% discount there which will save me about $150. I understand Grey Markets have both of these watches at about 40% off, and it feels a bit uneasy knowing that it sells for that much less somewhere else. Is it due to lack in demand? I see that Rolex watches in GM sell near MRSP. And the 2015 Chronograph is just off the production line and depreciating quite fast.

Should I try an AD like Tourneau? Will I get better discounts there? The thing about Macy's is that they offer their own 1-year warranty and if something fitting of warranty guidelines occurs to the watch, they will supposedly replace it with a new one. At least, this is what they tell me.

It seems both watches are for different lifestyles and priced accordingly. Your inputs are greatly appreciated in helping choose the correct one. Thank you.

Calibre11 likes this.
  2. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2015

I would 100% go for the automatic Calibre 5. The Aquaracer in its purest form is a clean 3 hand diver with a thin, very reliable automatic movement. I got a WAB2011 older version for my nephew and he has beaten the living hell out of it, a service later its perfect again.

The horizontal stripe dial is a particular nice element of the Cal 5 as well, looks very clean and timeless while the quartz chrono can be a bit cluttered.

WAY2110 is the go imo :)

calibre 007 likes this.
  3. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 20, 2015

I typically like chronographs, but I got to say the second one on your list is not as attractive as the first.

Also, have you had automatics before? If you don't intend to use it daily; it will lose power, unless you keep it in a winder. On the other hand, quartz models are typically "care free". Ultimately it's your choice, just know what to expect before making a decision.

Tourneau has models on sale that are not advertised on their website. I would call one of their stores to find out what models they have on-sale, or if they can match the discount. Also, make sure you ask about the condition of the watch. Sometimes, they have minor scratches from their life-on-display, so be sure to see it first-hand, or ask for pictures.

calibre 007 likes this.
  4. TheKomoman

TheKomoman Aug 20, 2015

I'm sure you're asking so you don't look back 3 months from now and doubt your decision so ask yourself why you've chosen to buy a TAG. For most I would imagine it's the same reason I did - because you're buying yourself something that you know is special. I like the look of Chronographs in general but to my mind automatics up the "special" quotient, plus that Calibre 5 has a super clean, elegant look about it that the Chronograph doesn't.

Also I sure hope late 20's doesn't make you too old for a Chronograph because I'm considering adding an F1 McLaren and I just turned 50!

calibre 007 likes this.
  5. sjbr101

sjbr101 Aug 21, 2015

The Calibre 5 is a fantastic watch that will last you a lifetime, the movement is an ETA 2824-2 or Selita SW200, both of which are great, the clean lines will age fantastically and will still look fresh in 20 years time. The Grand date Chrono is a nice watch but it is powered by a Ronda 5040B, this has been around a while an features plastic gears and eats batteries quicker than I eat McDonald's pancakes. In my opinion the Calibre 5 is streets ahead, don't be fooled with tricks and gimmicks on a chrono, it's whats under the dial that counts (literally) you would'nt buy a Ferrari with a FIAT 500 engine, don't buy a swiss watch with a cheap movement.

calibre 007 likes this.
  6. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Aug 21, 2015

Welcome @calibre 007

The two watches are very similar- as you know. I don't really see a Chronograph as being more for an older market. I also think that for some people/ uses, quartz can be a smarter buy (if you want to wear it mountain biking...get the quartz).

Personally, I like the simpler Calibre 5 ;)

calibre 007 likes this.
  7. calibre 007

calibre 007 Aug 21, 2015

Thank you all substantially for correcting my reckless mind.

TheKomoman puts it quite accurately in describing automatics as the special quotient. It was just that I has fancied a chronograph and was willing to cave in so briskly. Sjbr101, thank you for reminding me of the human element that goes into watch production.

And D.C, keep up the good work of running this site!

Now the next deliberations begin... to blue or not to blue. ;)

8. Ironliberty

Ironliberty Aug 24, 2015

For the love of God please take a look at the new Aquaracer 300m calibre 5 and calibre 16 coming out in October before you make a decision. I myself have decided on the new calibre 16 for my first TAG with the help of these good folks here. The new ones have a new design that quite honestly makes the old stainless bezel ones look like chump watches. Of course you may not like the new ceramic bezel as much as the stainless depending on your taste, but I'd agree its going to be superior, especially in blue. I also believe they are doing a black dial blue bezel offering, which may be up your alley.

calibre 007 likes this.
  9. Ironliberty

Ironliberty Aug 24, 2015

[​IMG] [​IMG]

TheKomoman likes this.
  10. calibre 007

calibre 007 Aug 24, 2015

Thanks for the info, Ironliberty. I didn't realize there was a new aquaracer this year. I will keep my options open. :thumbsup:

The 2015 Aquaracer Calibre 5 model is WAY211A.BA0928. Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

Edited Aug 24, 2015
    Calibre11 likes this.
  11. Pell031

Pell031 Aug 24, 2015

excellent point on the new 300M offerings. might also answer to your question of from whom to buy. head to your nearest AD and start to browse and chat. Hopefully develop a relationship with a given store and end up being advised when the new models start to roll in. That and smartly going with a mechanical watch, you'll eventually need a place to bring it in for a little TLC. :)

12. Ironliberty

Ironliberty Aug 25, 2015

I thoroughly agree with buying from an AD. I have been doing what Pell031 said about forming a relationship with an AD, in my case that being a TAG boutique. Im not sure how the more experienced guys on here feel about it, but I have heard too many horror stories about ordering online such as people getting watches that are broken, have wrong parts, fake boxes or serial numbers missing. Between that and doing a 4 figure transaction online I would never consider it. And it would also be a lot more fun to to pick up your timepiece on a special day and go to dinner with some friends to celebrate your purchase.

13. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 25, 2015

Does anyone know how these new bezels are in terms of being able to grip them? One of the few shortcomings of the WAB2011 was that the bezel is really hard to turn unless you sort of use your fingers flat against the aluminium insert as the smooth slightly 12 sided outer bezel just slips:

[​IMG]

I notice these new ones have some more protruding bits on the outside of the bezel which I'm guessing was brought in to address that.

14. sjbr101

sjbr101 Aug 25, 2015

Much thicker bezel, much easier to rotate !

15. calibre 007

calibre 007 Aug 25, 2015

I am really liking the look of the new Aquaracer Calibre 5 300M. Especially the blue one, but haven't decided on blue or black just yet. Does anyone know of the pricing? Will they be similar to last year's model?

Here is a nice video of the watch I found if anyone is interested:

16. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Aug 26, 2015

In the U.S., steel Calibre 5 on the strap is $2400

17. calibre 007

calibre 007 Aug 26, 2015

Hmm, so they are selling ceramic at different prices? And the steel bezel is painted or kept as is?

18. Calibre11

No, that's the price for the steel case with ceramic bezel.

There's a titanium-carbide (black) coated case that costs more

calibre 007 likes this.
  19. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 26, 2015

So the Ti-Carbide is like PVD / DLC as a coating rather than being solid ceramic like the Calibre 01, is it stronger than PVD finishes?

20. Calibre11

Kind of...PVD is a process not a material. The "Phantom" Aquaracer 300 has a titanium case with titanium-carbide coating- same as the Heuer-01.

TAG Heuer doesn't make ceramic cases- just bezels ;)

The scratch resistance is in fact not down to the coating, but rather how hard the surface is that's being coated. That's why Sinn use "Tegimented" steel, ie hardened steel.

Here's one I wrote a while back:
    http://timeandtidewatches.com/guide-to-black-watches/