Forums Latest Members
  1. panda

panda Mar 6, 2016

I really like the looks of CV2A1R and CAR2A10, but can't decide which one I should get. One has Day functionality, while the other has a 1887 movement. I've heard that Calibre 16 (or rather than 7750 if you get the ETA one) is a tried, true, and tested movement. I'm new to these watches. I've never owned an automatic, just quartz. Any advice on which one to get between these two? Is one worth the extra $250 retail (I will not buy used, pre-owned, or anything other than from an AD)?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    The 2 above are my favorite, but I fear they are too attention-grabbing. The last thing I want is others gawking at my wrist. I want to wear it from myself, and not as a show model. I came across the one below, which is more subtle, but I fear it may be too subtle. This is a rhetorical question, but I can't seem to decide if I should maybe get this one.

[​IMG]

2. dtf

dtf Mar 6, 2016

My biggest piece of advice is go and try them on, wearing the sort of clothes you will be wearing them with, see how they look in the metal, how they look in daylight. I spend far too long looking at watches online, but whenever I see them in the metal, my opinion gets changed about what I want next. In your position I would also consider the anthracite version of the carrera 1887, I tried one on a couple of days ago and the anthracite/rose gold is a stunning look:

[​IMG]

Hubert likes this.
  3. elbeik

elbeik Mar 7, 2016

The black dials are more flexible with dress codes.
    The rose gold / anthracite is I agree, gorgeous.

4. panda

panda Mar 7, 2016

Thanks. I tried these in person and loved all of them - that's the problem! The anthracite and gold picture you posted is unfortunately not sold by my preferred AD (where i happen to have over a grand in gift cards), so that's out. I think I may just go with the 1887 anthracite version (the very first picture I posted). Hopefully it won't be too flashy!

Any particular advice on the day functionality or the 1887 movement vs. 7750?

5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 10, 2016

My advice is....wait 6 days

automobilia42 and dtf like this.
  6. panda

panda Mar 10, 2016

Good advice. But what are the chances that new models will be available right away? I'm somewhat impatient :)
    Also, I would assume Heuer 01 or 02 will be used as the movement in new models. Wouldn't these be much more expensive? Trying not to spend more than 5k new from an AD.

7. Pell031

Pell031 Mar 10, 2016

I have models with both movements and I certainly wouldn't worry about either from my experience. Really comes down to a personal preference regarding the day/date aspect for you when considering between the first two. I love the look of the third piece you posted, which I believe is the CAR2014 or something similar. My nephew has that exact one and it looks really sharp, much better than any picture I've ever seen. I certainly wouldn't consider it "too subtle".

8. panda

panda Mar 11, 2016

Thanks for the input. Very tough decision... If only I could buy one from the first 2 and the 3rd one! I know the ETA 7750 is a good movement. Any difference when compared to the setilla? Not all calibre 16 are 7750 as far as I know...

9. Pell031

Pell031 Mar 11, 2016

from everything I've read, the Sellita movements are solid as well. I'd assume that newer Calibre 16 watches at this point are more likely than not to have that movement (SW500 for this one, i believe) since ETA outside supply is nearing zero.

Is your AD active in the used watch market? if so, you might be able to capture both for yourself! ;)

10. panda

panda Mar 12, 2016

No, the AD is not active in the used watch market. Maybe I don't understand, but what do you mean newer Calibre 16 are more likely not to have that movement? They are most likely not to have the ETA 7750 or the SW500 or both?

11. Pell031

Pell031 Mar 14, 2016

I'd expect SW500 would be more likely at this point. Just my guess as Swatch is nearing the end of their movement supply agreements