Forums Latest Members

Looking at the tag heuer carrera 02T

1. parag

parag Mar 28, 2016

Looking to purchase my first tag and really like the new carrera 02t black phantom. I have had a look around for some information on tag heuer. My heart says yes but my brain says stick to a Rolex.

Any thoughts anyone else looking at this watch

Many thanks

2. Big Adam

Big Adam Mar 28, 2016

£16k buys you a bloody decent Rolly.
    .....but the Black Phantom is a very acquired taste and I'm not sure what Rolex you'd be comparing it to??
    And is this an investment piece or a daily/occasional wearer?
    I'm intrigued.

3. parag

parag Mar 28, 2016

Would be a daily wear but I would hate to loose 50% down the years. I was looking at a Daytona or a iwc Portuguese

4. Big Adam

Big Adam Mar 28, 2016

It may not be the expected answer, but if I had £16k to blow on a single watch which would see regular use, I'd be walking into a Rolex AD and trying on a white gold or two-tone Daytona.
    IMO it'll be more reliable and retain a significantly higher value than any TH.
    Actually, I'd probably be looking at an exotic GMT or Sea-Dweller ahead of the Daytona but that's just my personal taste. I've worn a SS GMT-Master II pretty much every day for 9 years and it takes a beating without so much as a hiccup.

parag likes this.
  5. parag

parag Mar 28, 2016

many thanks for your honest opinion.
    I really do like the style of the 02T watch especially the movement. Wonder if anyone else has placed an order or looking to buy one for their collection. I have two omega watches at the moment and now looking to have a nice daily watch something out there and sporty which is what drew me to the TG

6. abrod520

abrod520 Mar 28, 2016

I'd have 4 or 5 nice watches, mostly vintage, for that kind of money.

Though isn't it $16k US? Big difference. Still, yes, I'd go for a steel Daytona in that case. Still big and in-your-face, still shouts "I've arrived!" but will hold its value; I don't expect that the TAG will.

7. abrod520

abrod520 Mar 28, 2016

Or why not a Jaeger-LeCoultre Deep Sea Chronograph Cermet?

8. dtf

dtf Mar 28, 2016

Go into a watch store, wearing the sort of outfit you are likely to wear the watch with, try a bunch on. Stand back and look at it in a full length mirror. What looks fantastic in photos online often disappoints in person and vice versa.

Daytona and Heuer 02 are two very different styles, I'd argue you need to decide the look you want, then find a watch to suit.

And for my 16k, I'd take an explorer, a Heuer 01 and a jack Heuer 80.

9. parag

parag Mar 28, 2016

Sounds like 16k on a tag is a bit too much. Wonder if anyone would buy the black phantom it is limited to 250 pieces. May seem wise to wait till it gets on the second hand market at 40-50% it's mrrp

10. dtf

dtf Mar 29, 2016

It will sell because it's a tourbillion, and I suspect it will hold its value, just look at prices for the jh80..

11. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 29, 2016

I don't see the price drops for these high-end models. I've been watching Carrera 360, Mikrograph, V4, etc prices for a while...and they hold a lot better than the standard range. Not saying that the 02 is risk-less, but I see no reason why that watch won't hold it's value in the same way as the other high-end TAG Heuers

12. elbeik

elbeik Mar 29, 2016

You are looking at a rather high-end of the spectrum. I honestly don't see a logical comparison between the Carrera 02, and any of the Rolexes available, at least not in terms of design, look and feel, and overall lifestyle.

You'll have to ask yourself a couple of questions before taking the plunge; are you looking for a classic sedan, or a sportier coupe?
    If you truly liked the 02 so much, obviously for it being avant-garde and contemporary - why look to the most rational alternative that is Rolex?

15K can get you a lot of things.

I cannot deny the Daytona is a beautiful watch; it is classy, elegant. The TH, is more modern, more audacious.
    The IWC Portuguese on the other hand, doesn't fit in here. It is much more refined than both.

Is it thus for the value for money / resale value only? Keeping in mind a "daily" over he span of a couple of years will be challenging to keep in mint condition.
    Rolex do depreciate as well, maybe not as much as a TH, true.

Finally, do you worry TH might not be perceived as well in social milieus? Not as fancy as a Rolex, Panerai, or IWC?

You'll be staring at it quite frequently; make sure you love it :thumbsup:

13. automobilia42

automobilia42 Mar 29, 2016

One word: Tourbillon.

14. parag

parag Mar 29, 2016

Thanks for all the info

These watches are hard to get hold of only a certain number of places will be getting one or two
    The black phantom will retail at 16.150£
    I am gonna take the plunge as it's the something really like

automobilia42 likes this.
  15. Big Adam

Big Adam Mar 29, 2016

We want pictures!
    :)

16. parag

parag Mar 29, 2016

Gonna have to wait till july

Calibre11, Big Adam and automobilia42 like this.
  17. calibre11user

calibre11user Mar 29, 2016

What do you think is the best way to make sure we can buy a Heuer 02 Limited? I'm never bought a limited edition watch before. Are we supposed to pre-order it with our local AD? Would our credit card get charged on the day it's released, and it would subsequently be shipped to the AD?

18. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 29, 2016

Yes, pre-order with a local AD is the best option...not sure if they will ask for a deposit, but they may.

I imagine you would pay the balance when you pick it up from the AD

19. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 30, 2016

image.jpeg Carrera Heuer-02t Phantom #tagheuer #tagheuercarrera #heuer02 #tourbillon #calibre11

dtf likes this.
  20. dtf

dtf Mar 30, 2016

Makes me reconsider my above list of what I'd spend 16k on :)