Forums Latest Members

Ken Miles' 1965 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R sells for $3.85 million

1. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jul 18, 2020

Albert-AMG likes this.
  2. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 18, 2020

Interesting, that's higher than the Bullitt Mustang, which we didn't think it would top.

I think the Ford v Ferrari movie's timing & success likely helped a lot. I personally would prefer this GT350R over McQueen's Bullitt movie car, I guess I'm not alone.

Mr_Orange likes this.
  3. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jul 18, 2020

Yes, this one may be hard to beat!

4. kappa_md

kappa_md Jul 18, 2020

Ken Miles, the true racer that he is, and probably an unsung hero for Ford, made his Mustang truly unique and up to an extreme level! Imagine a piece of history, Ford beating a Ferrari ;)

The best premium pieces in life are really those that exhibit a unique and defining story of man and machine :cool:

5. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Jul 18, 2020

Bullitt was just a normal Mustang though, albeit with the McQueen name attached to it. The GT350R is a real machine with a real racer who died doing what he loved.

6. kappa_md

kappa_md Jul 18, 2020

This :thumbsup:

7. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 18, 2020

I don't disagree.

Even so, I had speculated that the McQueen attachment and a very famous movie chase scene might carry more clout with regards to collectible status. To my pleasant surprise, such was not the case. Having said that, Ford v Ferrari made Ken Miles much more famous than he was before. I highly doubt that many non-Ford/Shelby fans even really knew who Ken Miles was before the movie. If the movie had never been made, I suspect the Bullitt car would have retained its title as the most expensive Mustang ever sold.

Mr_Orange likes this.
  8. abrod520

abrod520 Jul 18, 2020

Competition provenance, especially with a well-known driver, tends to bring more money from a totally different level of buyer.

(Ken Miles isn't terribly well-known outside of racing circles but in them he's quite respected. Kind of like Bruce McLaren - everybody wants a car with his name on it but they have no clue who it's named after)

Mr_Orange likes this.