Keep your eyes open....(Reveal: It's the 2017 Heuer Skipper Hodinkee Edition CAR221B)

I'll be able to give more details on this soon, but, as I quickly learned, you don't have a blank canvas. The truth is that TAG Heuer support these projects at a loss, because the cost of making even a bespoke dial and hands, etc just isn't worth it for such small production numbers.
This is completely understandable, and of course Tag isn't going to create a new case for a limited run piece, but it does kind of prove my point that Tag Heuer make absolutely nothing for the smaller-wristed bloke these days.

This is completely understandable, and of course Tag isn't going to create a new case for a limited run piece, but it does kind of prove my point that Tag Heuer make absolutely nothing for the smaller-wristed bloke these days.
Yes, that's true. A big part of what I like about the Telemeter and the Skipper is the 39mm size.

The Autavia has always been larger than the Carrera- only by a couple of mm. So that's why I accept that the Autavia is 42mm, because the majority of the Heuer branded heritage Carreras are 41mm. I'd rather the Autavia was 38mm too...

You know what's polarizing? Not the watch, I personally do like it and would have considered had I known ahead of time and not short on budget.

What really is polarizing is NO member from THE Tag Heuer hardcore community got his hand on one.

You know what's polarizing? Not the watch, I personally do like it and would have considered had I known ahead of time and not short on budget.

What really is polarizing is NO member from THE Tag Heuer hardcore community got his hand on one.

I should admit that I did get one. And yes, I knew when they were going on sale. Is that fair? No, not really.

Rest assured that if anything comes of a Calibre 11 watch, the first option will go to readers/ the forum

I should admit that I did get one. And yes, I knew when they were going on sale. Is that fair? No, not really.

Rest assured that if anything comes of a Calibre 11 watch, the first option will go to readers/ the forum
I totally respect journalistic confidentiality. And congratulations, now you have two Carreras on Natos :)

My point is, seems many fellow members would have been reluctant to pull the trigger had they had the choice.

Good way to get some new sign-ups David ;)

When does the collaboration here actually start? Has there been a decision on how the options will be decided?

My point is, seems many fellow members would have been reluctant to pull the trigger had they had the choice.
Yes, although I do really like it, I wouldn't have made up my mind before they all sold out anyway. I am unable to drop that sort of money on a whim - I need at least a week to invent a way to justify it to myself!

We're after quality, not quantity!
Perhaps there should be a joining fee and interview process for new members?

Agree with the first paragraph, I was sold on it the moment I saw it! However it is early days to say whether members of the community actually managed to get one or not....for all we know they all went within the community! To be fair though, I have to admit I have only heard of a couple of well known collectors/dealers who actually have one, with liquid money at the ready, unlike some....including me.... :-(

I actually had one in the cart but punched myself in the head and knocked some sense in me. If I knew ahead of time then yes, I would of saved some cash and probably would of bought it; but then again maybe I would of punched myself at this point too and said no for the $5,900 USD ($15 million Canadian) is a bit steep for what is basically a Telemeter (which BTW I paid $5,650 taxes in Canadian) :thumbsup:

I would have done if I had enough genuinely spare cash and a shorter list of watches that I want, whilst I still haven't decided on the glassbox, the colour scheme looks fantastic. I think I need to live with a telemeter for a while to see how I get on with the glass.

Glad you picked one up @Calibre11 hope you do a feature on it.

So given that this Skipper used the last remaining "Telemeter cases", it is a sure bet the size of the case will be larger. In fact, this was confirmed by David on his posts 1 & 2.

giphy.gif

Its hard to work out how much of the backlash is against the watch (and let's face it- the Skipper is hardly a colour scheme that everyone is going to fall in love with) and how much is against Hodinkee. Certainly some people have them in the crosshairs, most of which I think is jealously. When I look at the quality of what Hodinkee do compared to "another large US watch blog", it's night and day.

I think you are spot on here. However, Hodinkee has gone down in my estimations over the time I have been reading their blog. They do appear to have disappeared up their own behinds somewhat. For me, the collaboration with them was enough for me lose interest, but that aside, I just don't like the watch so the collaboration becomes moot.

My god, it's on hold already at $2988 above the price paid for it. 50% profit in 24 hours isn't a bad return.

On the flip side, the original buyer is a pr*ck IMO, because (s)he clearly only bought it to flip it and make money.

Agreed! Greed and capitalism at it's best! Like I have said before, TAG would make a trillion dollars if they revive ALL their Heuer (pre TAG) models, limit production to say 1000 pieces per model per year and go with in-house only movements. Clearly the demand is there as seen from recent reissues!

My god, it's on hold already at $2988 above the price paid for it. 50% profit in 24 hours isn't a bad return.

On the flip side, the original buyer is a pr*ck IMO, because (s)he clearly only bought it to flip it and make money.
SOLD! $8888 ::censored::

Very disappointed to see that...but not surprised.

Hope this doesn't turn into the sneaker market, where some guy jumps on to a new limited edition and buys 50 pairs only to re-sell at a huge profit