Is the TH-30 a better movement?

Hi guys , first thread... love the discourse and insights I discover here.

I have never seen a discussion on TAG's movements but reading the thread about the heur 02 date change...I did some digging and can say the date changes exactly at the 12 on the kenissi assited th-30, and it being chronometer certified( even the flyback switches it dates before 12)..sans the 10 hour power reserve boost on the Ho2, can an argument be made it is better or is more time needed to see how well it holds up over time
( unless we factor it probably is similar to the breitling Bo1 or Tudor kenissi assisted movement)

Well the TH-30 is a 3-hander while the Heuer-02 is a chronograph. Bit of an apples to oranges comparison if you ask me.

Now, should the Heuer-02 / TH-20 be COSC? In my opinion at the price asked it should be. There are a couple QC issues with the Heuer-02 but I bet those will affect the Superdiver with the TH-30 Kenissi as well

Well the TH-30 is a 3-hander while the Heuer-02 is a chronograph. Bit of an apples to oranges comparison if you ask me.

Now, should the Heuer-02 / TH-20 be COSC? In my opinion at the price asked it should be. There are a couple QC issues with the Heuer-02 but I bet those will affect the Superdiver with the TH-30 Kenissi as well
I was thinking it was QC issue or chronograph but even with the cal, 5,7, 16...only the th-30 switch date at 12...to me it's something minor, i never notice it before but i met someone very particular about his watches and pointed it out about the heur 02 and i found only the th-30 changing exactly at 12

But i do hope Tag revamps the aqua racers and carrera three hand with the th-30 or the th-31...i feel the cal 5 models are falling behind-- tissot,hamilton, oris, longines--all offer more for less, non cosc, 38 hr pr for watches north of $3000 is a alot

I was thinking it was QC issue or chronograph but even with the cal, 5,7, 16...only the th-30 switch date at 12...to me it's something minor, i never notice it before but i met someone very particular about his watches and pointed it out about the heur 02 and i found only the th-30 changing exactly at 12

But i do hope Tag revamps the aqua racers and carrera three hand with the th-30 or the th-31...i feel the cal 5 models are falling behind-- tissot,hamilton, oris, longines--all offer more for less, non cosc, 38 hr pr for watches north of $3000 is a alot

Well the date switch isn’t a QC issue, that’s a design issue. The ETA and Sellita movements the Calibre 5, 7 and 16 are based on are designed so that the date wheel engages at a certain time and disengages closer to 12. Some movements are designed for a quick-change date right at 12 and that may be the case with the Kenissi.

Hi @Gene242

I checked how five different Calibres change the date:
https://tagheuerforums.com/threads/heuer-02-date-change.159989/#post-2185657

I don’t think that the way in which each Calibre changes the date is relevant to say that one Calibre is better than another… because based on what I have observed in my five watches, it would turn out that Calibre 5 is better than Calibre 16, than Calibre 1887, or than Calibre Heuer 02! :confused:

I understand that it’s a design feature of different operation, but it’s a characteristic that does not serve to say that one movement is better than another. In any case, the five movements completely changed the date very close to midnight ;)

Hi @Gene242

I checked how five different Calibres change the date:
https://tagheuerforums.com/threads/heuer-02-date-change.159989/#post-2185657

I don’t think that the way in which each Calibre changes the date is relevant to say that one Calibre is better than another… because based on what I have observed in my five watches, it would turn out that Calibre 5 is better than Calibre 16, than Calibre 1887, or than Calibre Heuer 02! :confused:

I understand that it’s a design feature of different operation, but it’s a characteristic that does not serve to say that one movement is better than another. In any case, the five movements completely changed the date very close to midnight ;)
I agree with you, personally i never put any stock into it or notice it until someone pointed it out but i think with TAG upscaling the brand alot of these types of question and comparison are going to start poping up and moreso between TAG and the Tudors and the BREITLING(all the competitions) and not its own movement

But funny, in the watches i tested, the heur 02, faired better than the calibre 5 and 16 and what i found cool, I tested a few longines with a eta 2824, and the TAG calibre 5 date changes nearer to the 12, does that mean selita is better than eta now?

What makes a movement better?

But with over 150 years under it belt, TAG knows what it is doing....still crossing my finger on a updated 3 hander in the carrera line because as much as i love the look, at $3000, alot of brands are offering better movement(whatever that means)

Calibre 5 is better than Calibre 16, than Calibre 1887, or than Calibre Heuer 02
In the name of science, thank you for conducting these experiments

Well it's a moot question actually, because the Heuer 02 is officially designated as 'flawless'.
tempFileForShare_20230530-103657.jpg

If a movements director says it, it has to be true. No one will know more than a director of movements.

Well it's a moot question actually, because the Heuer 02 is officially designated as 'flawless'.

I have no comment on this.