How do you define a Carrera?

The Heuer 01s are gone and certainly far fewer Heuer 02s...also a big reduction in the Calibre 16 Carrera models.

I'd say by next year there'll be four branches to the Carrera family tree:
- Carrera Sport Heuer 02 44mm
- Carrera Elegant Heuer 02 42mm
- Carrera Calibre 5 watch 41mm
- Occasional Heuer-branded re-edition

That's far more coherent range than we've had for a long time
I feel that there should be a permanent 39mm choice in the range (whether heritage or not). Not everyone can physically wear a 41mm watch comfortably.

- Carrera Sport Heuer 02 43mm
- Carrera Heuer 02 41mm
- Carrera Calibre 5 watch 40mm
- Occasional Heuer-branded re-edition

Fixed it to what it should be.

I feel that there should be a permanent 39mm choice in the range (whether heritage or not). Not everyone can physically wear a 41mm watch comfortably.
Agree- but here are some thoughts:
- Assume that last year TAG Heuer made 400,000 watches (COVID impacted)
- Assume that Carrera makes up 30% of the volume- 120,000 watches
- Last year TAG Heuer made 2,860 39mm Carreras- so 2.3% of Carrera production, and less than 1% of TAG Heuer total production
- These 39mm Carreras did not sell out in 2020 and are still available in 2021

Would you green light more 39mm Carrera Chronographs as a business? I love these watches and they're the perfect size for me, but frankly I think we're lucky to have any of these made, as the business case looks pretty horrible if you look at numbers alone. I get that these are premium watches and not affordable, but it's hard to avoid the conclusion that collectors/ watch fans have very different taste to the mainstream watch buyer.

- Last year TAG Heuer made 2,860 39mm Carreras- so 2.3% of Carrera production, and less than 1% of TAG Heuer total production

Would you green light more 39mm Carrera Chronographs as a business? I love these watches and they're the perfect size for me, but frankly I think we're lucky to have any of these made, as the business case looks pretty horrible if you look at numbers alone. I get that these are premium watches and not affordable, but it's hard to avoid the conclusion that collectors/ watch fans have very different taste to the mainstream watch buyer.
I didn't necessarily mean a heritage Carrera. I meant any 39mm model.

As for the heritage versions, I think TAG Heuer should stop making so many different limited-run versions - the marketplace is a bit fatigued with all these limited editions. Just make one or two decent versions (a panda and reverse panda, say!) and keep them in the permanent line-up.

Exactly, overall the vast majority of TAG Heuer customer is not disposed to buying smaller watches. And yet the forum is all like 'TAG don't know what they are doing' and 'they don't listen to us'.... :rolleyes: And even when they do give them a 39mm watch it's still (usually) not right, too expensive, too thick, milky ring, too pandary, not pandary enough... it goes on and on.

Exactly, overall the vast majority of TAG Heuer customer is not disposed to buying smaller watches. And yet the forum is all like 'TAG don't know what they are doing' and 'they don't listen to us'.... :rolleyes: And even when they do give them a 39mm watch it's still (usually) not right, too expensive, too thick, milky ring, too pandary, not pandary enough... it goes on and on.
We come to the forums to discuss these watches, don't we? There's no such thing as the perfect watch, but that doesn't mean our constructive criticism should be taken as moans. I completely agree that most TAG customers want a big watch with lots of wrist presence. However, there really ought to be something in the permanent line-up for smaller wrists as well. Rolex does this well and offers a clear design language through a model, with different size choices and different levels of "bling".

We come to the forums to discuss these watches, don't we? There's no such thing as the perfect watch, but that doesn't mean our constructive criticism should be taken as moans. I completely agree that most TAG customers want a big watch with lots of wrist presence. However, there really ought to be something in the permanent line-up for smaller wrists as well. Rolex does this well and offers a clear design language through a model, with different size choices and different levels of "bling".

If we are talking about the size of watches then yes I agree there should be some 'smaller' watches (39mm) available for those with smaller wrists, it amazes me that Rolex make 36mm watches... but then maybe women buy them?

it amazes me that Rolex make 36mm watches... but then maybe women buy them?

I know a guy with a 36mm Rolex.

Nothing wrong with a 36mm Rolex. I’ve tried em on several times. Blue datejust with jubilee bracelet looked great.

My first TAG was 35mm, the size didn't bother me so much (to start with) but the clasp drove me nuts, it felt like it was designed for a smaller wrist so I sold it to my friend who has a much smaller wrist than me. He liked it to start with, then he bought a Pelagos (42mm), I've never seen him wear the TAG since he bought that. He also has a Pagani Aquaracer a Seiko Padi and a Casio rubber thing. I don't mind wearing the old F1s and they are 34mm... but if they made them larger obviously I would buy them larger

My first TAG was 35mm, the size didn't bother me so much (to start with) but the clasp drove me nuts, it felt like it was designed for a smaller wrist so I sold it to my friend who has a much smaller wrist than me. He liked it to start with, then he bought a Pelagos (42mm), I've never seen him wear the TAG since he bought that. He also has a Pagani Aquaracer a Seiko Padi and a Casio rubber thing. I don't mind wearing the old F1s and they are 34mm... but if they made them larger obviously I would buy them larger

How does the New 43mm F1 Grab you Rob?
WAZ101A. Orange dial

You do? :) Seriously, there are still a few of us out there who appreciate comfort and recognise that discretion can sometimes be a virtue. Whilst most male Rolex buyers of the OP these days probably go for the 41, I have seen quite a few 36mm being posted on various forums too. I think it's pretty perfect at this size to be honest (whatever your wrist size). And to whoever thinks 36mm is just for ladies, then that says way more about your preconceptions and insecurities than it does about my perceived masculinity.
IMG_20201007_122937_445.jpg

Yes, a former work colleague. My S/el can only be around 36mm.

How does the New 43mm F1 Grab you Rob?
WAZ101A. Orange dial

Ah, it's finally appeared! Excellent I can write about it now... yes love it, might be my next purchase. Well, I say next purchase... I'm already bidding on something on eBay. Next BIG purchase!

I’d like to think that the 39mm Heuer Carrera Re-Editions are very similar to “Halo Cars” of Car companies. In a purely business perspective, they don’t make any sense, will not gain profit and is not clearly part of the grand scheme of the market. Yes, I agree. But I believe these watches were designed to give the brand a sense of history, nostalgia-pedigree-provenance etc, to be the talking points of the media or the fora, to give the brand a certain image, to bring about an emotion to watches (or cars), to make a connection, to give the brand a “soul”

I’d use Toyota-Lexus for an example. The MOST valued car company in the world and at times the market LEADER in terms of sales volumes. The MOST CONSISTENT and MOST RELIABLE car brand. But Toyota for a time lacks the “oomph” with their ever reliable and ever “dull” econo cars.

They made the 86 partnered with Subaru for the BRZ, they partnered with BMW for the Supra/Z4. And now the GR Yaris, a non existent WRC homologation. Right from the start they said, they will incur a loss producing these “enthusiasts” cars, but still pushed for them because it allows others to look into the brand from outside. It allows their legions of loyal followers to enjoy driving, have fun and stay true to the brand. And now Toyota is at the TOP of its game in WEC & WRC. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You do? :) Seriously, there are still a few of us out there who appreciate comfort and recognise that discretion can sometimes be a virtue. Whilst most male Rolex buyers of the OP these days probably go for the 41, I have seen quite a few 36mm being posted on various forums too. I think it's pretty perfect at this size to be honest (whatever your wrist size). And to whoever thinks 36mm is just for ladies, then that says way more about your preconceptions and insecurities than it does about my perceived masculinity.

I think a lot of it is also focusing way too much on paper dimensions. Like how the Carrera reeditions are too thick - even though much of the height is in the crystal, and thus the watch doesn't sit very high on the wrist.

Case in point is the Explorer - at 36mm it's certainly on the small side, but it has a ton of wrist presence if you ever try one on. I haven't seen a 39mm 214270 in person but based on my experience with the originals I almost expect I'd feel it was too big.

I think a lot of it is also focusing way too much on paper dimensions. Like how the Carrera reeditions are too thick - even though much of the height is in the crystal, and thus the watch doesn't sit very high on the wrist.

Case in point is the Explorer - at 36mm it's certainly on the small side, but it has a ton of wrist presence if you ever try one on. I haven't seen a 39mm 214270 in person but based on my experience with the originals I almost expect I'd feel it was too big.
Agree completely. Sizes do play into how the watch wears, but it's not the only factor.

I had the good fortune to be able to try the 39mm and 36mm Explorer on side by side before I bought the 114270. I could have got away with the 39mm for sure, but I knew instantly the 36mm was the one to go for. It's more the proportions than the size. The fatter lugs and wider bezel just didn't look as good. It's really hard to describe, but the 36mm just looks like everything is correct in proportion to the watch if that makes sense. Nothing stands out as being "wrong". I probably haven't explained it very well.

I agree with this too, the new 44mm Carrera does not feel like a 44mm watch on the wrist. 34mm F1s don't feel that small either.