Hodinkee: Perpetual Innovation the TAG Heuer Carrera

Icon of the Past. Forever chasing Tomorrow. Ahead of Its Time. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Edited:

I saw the word "Perpetual" in that article, and my heart started beating faster thinking of "Perpetual calendar". Has TAG Heuer ever done haute horologie pieces?

Yes. Alot. These are some to name a few :thumbsup:

Monaco V4. Tourbillons H02. Mikro +
Mikrograph, Mikrogirder, Mikrotourbillon, Mikrotimer Flying 1000, Mikropendulum

Has TAG Heuer ever done haute horologie pieces?

Yes, but not in the 'traditional' sense and not a perpetual calendar. They have done annual calendars though - Carrera MP4-12C is one such example.

Yes. Alot. These are some to name a few :thumbsup:

Monaco V4. Tourbillons H02. Mikro +
Mikrograph, Mikrogirder, Mikrotourbillon, Mikrotimer Flying 1000, Mikropendulum

I know about those, but I was thinking of advanced complications like a perpetual calendar, sonnerie, or minute repeater.

I know about those, but I was thinking of advanced complications like a perpetual calendar, sonnerie, or minute repeater.
Love that you dont consider tourbillion or the V4 advanced :D

Love that you dont consider tourbillion or the V4 advanced :D

Well. You can get a Tourbi at outlet stores. Not so sure it can be considered ‘haute’ these days.

TAG Heuer made “tourbillons” accessible and changed the perception that it is seemingly impossible to reach. Haute Horlogerie doesn’t have to expensive. Haute means “high class” It just have to be technologically advanced. Game changers in the industry. Avant-Garde.

Indeed as a feat of industrial engineering and ‘audacity’ to challenge the industry norms they were certainly Avent-Garde. But HH they are not. They are mass produced with next to none of the finishing that’s traditionally associated with HH.

I understand what you mean sir @THJunkie . In terms of capability, TAG Heuer made a name for itself by establishing the brand as true makers of high quality Swiss watches. I believe that is the idea of making & marketing those “haute” highly complicated TAG Heuer watches.

I like to look at it as “halo cars” in terms of watches. Just an example / analogy. Toyota-Lexus made the 2000GT and the LFA in their respective era to establish the company’s technological capability and advancement which were at that time, the trailblazers in their field. My humble 2 cents.