Forums Latest Members
  1. dwandrews

dwandrews Jan 25, 2022

Hello all,

I only know what I’ve learned online in the past 2 days, so call me dangerous. Back 40 years ago I bought a cool, beat-up watch at a garage sale in West Texas. I knew Heuer was a good brand but was in college and couldn’t afford new. It didn’t seem to run, was quickly forgotten and has now been sitting in a dark box in my closet since I bought it. A few nights ago I thought “I should get that thing out and see what it is”, so…. That gets us to the 2 days of looking. Oh my goodness!

I think it’s real? I think I know it’s a Siffert 1163T, maybe MK4 and maybe a flat V. Original Beads of Rice bracelet. The case serial number is 143xxx (not sure why folks use the “x’s” but I’ll do the same).

It has issues. Crystal is trashed, the right subdial hand is loose inside the face, the chronograph doesn’t work?, the lum is missing on part of the hour hand and who knows what else. The watch itself does run. I have not had the back off.

So, help! Next step is take the back off, maybe, to see if it is in decent shape and verify that it is Calibre 11 or 12? Are there other things to look for inside there? Can I take the back off myself or should I take it to a watch shop? If it’s real I certainly don’t want to mess it up.

I would like to know what it’s worth as is, what it would take to get it back in action without doing too much of the “wrong kind” of restoration and what it would be worth after that type of restoration. If nothing else, get the subdial hand back on, chrono working and replace the crystal. I’d prefer taking it to someone who really knows what they are doing. It sounds like the reputable shops are few and far (literally) between. Still living in Texas.

That’s too many words already. I’ll try and post a few pics. Let me know what you think.

7CBED1AB-BE44-4350-8F35-01405754A38E.jpeg BFEFC178-6232-464C-B4E8-4DFD41D39933.jpeg 65D1A7EB-54CB-4978-9B03-B4FEBB96E369.jpeg AFCCF2DA-B50B-4305-BA42-A526B358AE01.jpeg
  2. Yago

Yago Jan 26, 2022

Nice watch! That’s an early case and bracelet. Case ref nr dates it to 1970/71. Bracelet appears to read 2nd quarter of ‘69. Do you have a pic of the top of the clasp?
    Dial appears to be a later Siffert but I don’t know if other Sifferts have turned up in this serial range. Others on the forum might now more about that.
    Case looks sharp, wouldn’t touch that. Needs a new crystal as the cracks pose a risk of moisture or water damage. Hard to tell what’s underneath that banged up plexi.

3. imagwai

imagwai Jan 26, 2022

Just a new crystal and a service would do wonders for that watch - very nice find!

4. SteveP

SteveP Jan 26, 2022

Hi, agree with the above, in particular-a new crystal done with a proper service and clean, you should hopefully have it up and running nicely again, unless there are any unknown issues with the movement-broken parts etc.

143xxx (some people are 'precious' about the full serial number as they don't want scammers pretending to sell their watch or make fake versions!) puts it at an early example, starting from 142xxx I believe.

You can see it's certainly had a life and will never be pristene but that's how I like them and this is the sort of project I love!

Do be careful who you have look at it as it could do more harm than good. Most likely it will benefit you to have it sent to a Heuer'reputable watchmaker who can look into it. Keep us updated and if you have any mroe questions, feel free to shout!
    Thanks, Steve

Shabbaz and HoltzPlatz like this.
  5. abrod520

abrod520 Jan 26, 2022

I had a Mk4 Siffert (same dial and hands) in a 143xxx case. So there's precedent for that, along with the fact that the initial Siffert production was fairly short (~1yr) and the first 4 variants all fit about into that range.

6. dwandrews

dwandrews Jan 26, 2022

Thanks for the quick feed back. Yago, I will post a pic of the other side of the clasp. If you want something different, I'm happy to provide more.

Any ideas on who to send it to for servicing and cleaning would be helpful. From what I have seen, it may mean mailing it somewhere? I could drive it to Dallas or Houston easier, but I understand that the right shop is really critical.

heuer clasp.jpg
    Albert-AMG likes this.
  7. Yago

Yago Jan 26, 2022

Yeah that’s the early clasp, very cool :thumbsup:
    No idea about servicing in the US though.

8. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 26, 2022

Wow, that's an awesome story! You've had this watch for 40 years only to realize now it's a Siffert!? :eek:
    That's one of my grail watches, if only I had been so lucky back when I was in college! ::facepalm2::
    Good luck in restoring it, it's really worth something! :thumbsup:

9. drockadam

drockadam Jan 26, 2022

Stunning! These Autavias are gorgeous.

10. dwandrews

dwandrews Jan 26, 2022

Regarding the chrono. Is there any trick to starting it? I’m thinking I should just push the top right button and watch things happen. Bottom right would reset? Just making sure I’m not missing something. Nothing moves when I push either one. Also have not figured out how to adjust the date. I’m being pretty careful at this point while pulling and twisting things!

I have found a high end jewelry/watch shop in Dallas that gets great reviews and claims to specialize in vintage restores and maintenance. That might be a good option?

Any US folks have other options to look at this one?

11. HoltzPlatz

HoltzPlatz Jan 27, 2022

At the very least I would find somebody competent who can remove that detached 30 min. subdial hand before moving it anywhere, much less shipping it. The dial, bezel and hands look really nice as does the caseback. Congratulations:thumbsup:

12. dwandrews

dwandrews Jan 27, 2022

Found a local guy that opened it for me.
    Does this get me in the Calibre11 club!!

BD8BD329-5BB2-4B89-BC8C-C59A6AEDD07C.jpeg
  13. abrod520

abrod520 Jan 28, 2022

Yes it does, in fact that's an early Calibre 11 as well rather than the more common 11-i. Fits with the watch's production timeline and serial number.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  14. dwandrews

dwandrews Jan 28, 2022

Any significance with it being and 11 vs 11-i?

15. abrod520

abrod520 Jan 28, 2022

The Calibre 11 had a few teething issues at first and was fairly quickly replaced by the 11-i (i for 'improved' - which itself was replaced soon after by the Calibre 12). Only the first year or so (hazy timeline) watches had the original 11, and even then many had been replaced at service time by 11-i or 12s.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  16. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 28, 2022

Ha! Wouldn't it be clever, if we changed forum's name to Calibre11i.com or Calibre12.com?
    upload_2022-1-28_17-38-55.png

17. Ara

Ara Jan 28, 2022

YES!

Hubert likes this.
  18. Yago

Yago Jan 29, 2022

As long as it’s not C5

paysdoufs likes this.
  19. kappa_md

kappa_md Jan 29, 2022

How about Caliber Connected? :whistling::whistling: Caliber for all TH movements and Connected for our dear digital TH enthusiasts? Future proof ready ;)

Albert-AMG likes this.
  20. abrod520

abrod520 Jan 29, 2022

A similar idea did occur to me, because I wonder too if 'Calibre 11' is now subject to copyright action

Hubert and imagwai like this.