Forums Latest Members
  1. lucreative

lucreative Feb 16, 2022

Hi Calibre II Forums! I'm usually more active in OmegaForums, but I recently jumped into vintage watches and have the opportunity to purchase a Heuer Big Eyes, which I think is a 418, in 18k gold with the Valjoux 23 movement . I trust this seller, since he sold me a few nice watches before, but he disclosed some issues with this Heuer. Mainly, the dial has been refinished and the hands replaced. I always wanted a watch with the Valjoux 23, so the price he was offering mainly take this into account.

Here are some pics of the dial and movement, which is signed "Ed. Heuer & Co." which dates this to the 1950s. The dial looks extremely clean, too clean, and it does not match other original examples of this watch. However, tapping into the vast knowledge of Calibre 11 members, does anyone know where this type of dial would have come from? It does not look handpainted, so the dial is a better qaulity dial and the printing looks pristine. It actually looks similar to an Omega chronograph dial from the same era, including the hands. The caseback has also been modified to be screwed in, since it's a snapback, but the extra gold can be easily removed to original. The lugs has another layer of gold for the screw and the original lugs have not been damaged.

Would this watch still be worth purchasing? The size 35mm is a tad small, but the thin bezel and "Big Eyes" makes this very much wearable. What do you all think?

Thanks for the advice!

The last pic is an example of an Omega chrono with similar dial, including the printed numbers being almost exact, especially the "1" with the cap. I wonder if these dials where made for jewelers as replacement dials for big eye chronographs like these.

FYI, he would be willing to sell me this watch sub $2k.

IMG_2978.jpg

20220216_105539.jpg

SimilarOmegaDialandHands.jpg

2. SteveP

SteveP Feb 17, 2022

It's quite nice and without following values on these it SEEMS reasonably priced.

Personally, I would never buy a watch that has had the dial refinished unless I knew I could get a replacement. 2 reasons-it would always be an issue to me and also I'm not sure how much of a market there would be for resale.
    Best, Steve

3. lucreative

lucreative Feb 17, 2022

Thanks for the info. I do see this dial come up from time to time. But I will try to negotiate with the seller for scrap 18k + Valjoux 23 movement value. The Valjoux 23 is signed Ed. Heuer & Co., which I really do like.