Forums Latest Members

Hello everyone! (Question about Autavia JH 85th box)

1. mitschhe

mitschhe Mar 3, 2024

Hello everyone, I'm new here in the forum. Most of the people here are probably from the USA. I'm from Germany and my English isn't that good. My love for beautiful mechanical watches began about 20 years ago.
    Then I lost sight of it for a while, you may know this from your own experience.
    Wedding, building a house, children...
    Now I have a little more time for it again and I am particularly fascinated by Tag Heuer watches.
    After buying a Carrera 42mm, I am currently interested in an Autavia, the JH 85th.
    And now my question.
    Were there two different versions regarding the box?
    Was there a "larger" version of the box that also contained the book "Autavia - Story of an Icon" and a "smaller normal box"?
    Thank you in advance and I look forward to new interesting information here in the forum

dtf and Albert-AMG like this.
  2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Mar 3, 2024

Welcome to the best forum in the world! Plenty of non 'Muricans in this place, myself included.

Would love to see some photos of your Carrera :thumbsup:

Dont know about the Autavia boxes but I am sure someone here will be able to help you.

thingziliketoo likes this.
  3. mitschhe

mitschhe Mar 3, 2024

IMG_1991.jpeg Okay, here are a few photos, along with some other things named „ Carrera“. IMG_1991.jpeg IMG_1992.jpeg IMG_1993.jpeg IMG_1994.jpeg

Anthony.R, Jemagloh and Mspeedster like this.
  4. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Mar 3, 2024

5. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Mar 3, 2024

Regarding your question about the JH85 Autavia, it's quite possible some (if not all) were sold with the book as a box set. I don't recall exactly. Probably many for sale now on the aftermarket are missing the outer big box & book and just sold with the smaller inner box. But the book is also available separately, I have a copy.

You might find this thread of interest: https://tagheuerforums.com/threads/...dition-heritage-autavia-cbe2111-ba0687.65878/

mitschhe likes this.
  6. mitschhe

mitschhe Mar 3, 2024

Almost correctly concluded.
    But it's a convertible in black.
    I have my “first real watch” to match, a beautiful Montblanc.
    I simply liked the blue better on the TH Carrera 42mm.

Mspeedster likes this.
  7. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 3, 2024

Welcome @mitschhe
    It's been several years, I don't remember the exact details, but I do believe the book was included with the watch. I don't have pictures of box and unfortunately all my boxes are in long-term storage, so they are not accessible.

What I can tell you for sure is that the box presented to Jack Heuer with the big TH logo in color was only for him.
    [​IMG]

8. mitschhe

mitschhe Mar 3, 2024

Is that you in the photo, next to JH?
    Thank you for the info.
    Unfortunately, despite intensive research, I still don't have a definite answer to my question.
    There is a watch that is for sale very close to me and it is without a book and in a small box.
    The seller who also bought the watch on the secondary market was completely unaware of this.
    Well, I'll keep researching.
    But good to know that some people here in the forum are addressing my question.
    Thanks for that.

9. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 3, 2024

You're welcome. In the photo that's Guy Semon, who used to be the chief of the Research Institute for the Watch Division of LVMH.

The most important thing is the condition of the watch. The box and the book, while important, are far less critical.

10. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Mar 3, 2024

I believe @thingziliketoo I bought his JH85 within the last two years or so as new old stock from an AD. Perhaps he can chime in on whether his came with the big box and book as a set.

My hunch is that on initial release, circa 2017-2018, all came as a box set with the book. But perhaps in later years, leftover stock might not have. Or some ADs themselves might have separated the book and just sold some watches standalone in the later years.

11. mitschhe

mitschhe Mar 3, 2024

That sounds plausible.

12. thingziliketoo

thingziliketoo Mar 3, 2024

Mine came from Jomashop with just the box. I bought the book from a member here.

13. flawless

flawless Mar 3, 2024

Other Heuer 02 Autavias might have come in large wooden boxes, but the JH85 Autavia was originally shipped in an oversized card box to accommodate the book in a drawer below a compartment for the smaller square Heuer branded two-tone grey watch box.

The boxes for mine are at work - I can post a picture on Tuesday.

14. HoltzPlatz

HoltzPlatz Mar 4, 2024

Mine came just as mentioned above as well, in a very large box to fit that book in the bottom slot. Purchased from Watchmaxx in 2018

15. flawless

flawless Mar 28, 2024

Sorry for the delay!

1000017680.jpg

Hubert, thingziliketoo and Albert-AMG like this.
  16. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Mar 29, 2024

I - need - that - book - so - bad !!! :D

flawless and Albert-AMG like this.
  17. flawless

flawless Mar 29, 2024

I've actually got a second - still sealed - that I'm looking to trade for a copy of Paradoxical Superstar :)

18. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Mar 29, 2024

Which I don’t have either (but I believe one was sold in our marketplace here not that long ago?)…

So they do come up from time to time :)