Forums Latest Members

Guidance for a novice about a couple different watches

1. Olof

Olof Feb 3, 2017

So while cleaning my grandparents place I came across a whole lot of watches. Now I'm going through the Heuer. Although my grandpa was a watchmaker I unfortunately know very little about watches. I would like to learn what there is to know about these watches.

Some of these were shown in his store and probably never sold so were just tucked away in the basement and forgotten about. None of them have ever been worn to my knowledge more than in the shop and most likely have the original bands. All of them work and keep time accurately from what I've seen. My guess is that most of them are from the 70's, maybe 80's?

If you have any idea on price I would appreciate that help as well so I can decide whether or not to insure them.

If I have understood correctly, I need to take off the band to access the serials? I do have a heap of tools, but no idea on how to use them. They have most likely not been serviced for many years. Is this something I should get done as well?

I figured out that this is a solunar. My personal favorite. Although I have no idea how to work the tide function.
    [​IMG]

Autavia. But I haven't figured out more than that.
    [​IMG]

Another Autavia.
    [​IMG]

This Carrera luckily still had it's store tag on so even I could figure out that it's a 1553 N.
    [​IMG]

A Monaco.
    [​IMG]

Managed to find on this site that this was an AMEX exclusive watch. But that's about all I know.
    [​IMG]

Verona Quartz.
    [​IMG]

They all have this sticker on the back as well.
    [​IMG]

I'd appreciate any help or information.

Regards,
    Olof

wayneswe likes this.
  2. firedog

firedog Feb 3, 2017

wow...nice to see NOS watches. These are nice!

3. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Feb 3, 2017

Nice collection. You've posted your questions in the right place. You should get answers from the vintage experts soon.

4. imagwai

imagwai Feb 4, 2017

Nice but not worth much - I'll take them off your hands though...

I'm joking of course. Seriously, the fact that these are in such good condition makes them highly desirable pieces. For me the pick are the Autavias, closely followed by the Monaco and Carrera. I don't closely follow values but certainly worth insuring them. Chrono24.com might give you an idea of prices as well as help you identify the model numbers. If you do decide to sell, please let me know. :)

5. imagwai

imagwai Feb 4, 2017

P.S. regarding your servicing question. If you're selling, I wouldn't bother. If keeping them, yes I would, but only by a watchmaker who has experience in vintage pieces and will keep them original!

Calibre11 likes this.
  6. Olof

Olof Feb 5, 2017

Thanks for the input. I'll see what I'll do with them. I also got a lot of other watches from other brands. But the there's something about the solunar that I find fascinating.

Any ideas on the models of the autavias? I have figured out the models on the quartz watches, Monaco, careers and solunar. I guess I should figure out how to get rid of those bands.

7. imagwai

imagwai Feb 5, 2017

8. dtf

dtf Feb 5, 2017

You should be get spare parts valued carefully, there might be rare and saught after parts that could be worth a fortune to the right watch make.

9. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Feb 5, 2017

Wow, what a find! OK, in order:

1. Heuer Solunar- https://www.calibre11.com/heuer-solunar/
    2. Heuer Autavia 1163V (I think..would need to see more photos)
    3. Heuer Autavia 15630 (but with a GMT bezel) https://www.calibre11.com/ultimate-guide-to-the-vintage-heuer-autavia/
    4. Heuer Carrera 1553N- https://www.calibre11.com/heuer-carrera-series-overview/
    5. Heuer Monaco 1533G- https://www.calibre11.com/heuer-monaco-1533g/
    6. Heuer "American Express" - https://www.calibre11.com/heuer-american-express/
    7. Heuer Verona 361.213N- https://www.calibre11.com/ultimate-guide-heuer-verona/

Drop me a PM on prices- will depend on which watches have the sticker and which don't. I'd budget on $500 to service each watch (and each will need it).

The Monaco will need a little more work- the black gasket appears missing/ damaged.

dc

wayneswe likes this.
  10. Jonathan S

Jonathan S Feb 6, 2017

Hello, i am more than happy to assist you with this , re servicing , estimates for insurance and sale, do drop me a PM and i will endeavor to help you.
    Regards Jonathan

wayneswe likes this.
  11. Olof

Olof Feb 14, 2017

Thank you for the help everyone. I'll contact the people in PMs shortly. I split my time between Sweden and the US. Which country would it be cheaper to service in you think?

The Monaco says 1133 on the case, but if I've understood it correctly it is common to find 1533s in 1133 cases. The gasket seem to have crumbled which seems like a good thing rather than it melting unto the face.

Solunar 279.603.

Carrera 1553.

Autavia GMT 15630.

Autavia blue 1163v.

So you were right on all of them. They all have the stickers on the back and tags. All the bands/straps are like new accept for band on the solunar which is missing a pin to properly close it I think.

12. ChrisDavis33

ChrisDavis33 Feb 15, 2017

I'd wear that Solunar every day of my life! I love it!!

Calibre11 likes this.