Forums Latest Members
  1. Jonathan Sr

Jonathan Sr Jun 11, 2016

Hi Everybody, I hope I'm posting in the right place.

My son has just turned 18 yrs. old. He's crazy about watches, and his eyes lit up when I've shown him pictures of various Tag Heuer watches. I want to give him something special but within my budget. There's a Tag Heuer Kirium w/a Salmon face that's being represented as new by these folks out of Italy.

They're suggested that the watch is it's own warranty and that it's leftover stock. Would I be safe in purchasing from these people. They representing that the watch comes with something called a declaration of authenticity.

This would be the most money I've ever sent out over the country and since they want over $1,300 of the watch, I would not be able to get my son the watch if this is a scam/a fake and I suffered a loss.

Is this watch the real deal? Here's the link to the page.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAG-HEUER-Kirium-Chronometer-steel-AUT-Ref-WL5114-BA0701-NEW-/351747664771Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Jonathan Sr.

2. imagwai

imagwai Jun 12, 2016

Seller has good feedback, but I'm not really happy to confirm on the watch based on that one photo. I'd want to see the caseback also.

Does your son like the Kirium? And in salmon? Obviously I don't know his tastes but perhaps he'd prefer an F1 or an Aquaracer, certain models of which should be in budget.

3. elbeik

elbeik Jun 12, 2016

At that price point, you can get a modern F1, trendier for a young man.

4. imagwai

imagwai Jun 12, 2016

I can see all the photos now (was on my phone before). I think it's genuine, but again, I think this perhaps isn't the best model to buy from a value perspective. On the other hand, you know your son better than us! :)

5. dtf

dtf Jun 12, 2016

I can recommend taking a look at David's excellent article on the Kirium, here http://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-kirium/

I'm not an expert, but comparing the eBay pictures with the article above, it looks genuine and like a 1997-2000 model.

Personally if I was spending £1000 I would buy a new aquaracer or f1 Quartz from an AD, because I think the Kirium looks quite dated compared to the shiney new stuff I was trying on last month. Unless your son is specifically after an automatic watch, quartz may be more useable for daily wear, near indestructible with excellent accuracy. Automatic is seen as more timeless and eternal, better as a gift, but having lived through college and my 20s, I'm pretty sure I would have destroyed an automatic, whereas my old aquaracer is still keeps perfect time.

Finally have a look and see if there are any official tag outlets near you or where you travel to, they sell new fully warrantied watches at spectacular savings, I saved about 50% on a $5k watch a few years back (most expensive impulse buy ever).

6. Jonathan Sr

Jonathan Sr Jun 12, 2016

Ah yes, thank you.

All of the advice given here makes sense to me. I will probably look into getting a quartz watch through maybe Feldmar which is very close to me. A little voice in the back of my head keeps whispering to me about the watch not having a warranty and I will take that advice about getting a full warranty.

I will take a look at the F1 or the Aquaracer for sure. I have the money to do this once for him, so I might as well give somebody some business here locally.

Thank you folks kindly for the excellent advice.

Jonathan Sr.

Calibre11 likes this.