Forums Latest Members
  1. MRC

MRC Nov 6, 2017

Just watched it on DVD. Absolutely stunning contemporary colour footage, could be modern film except for the need to build full-scale replicas of Monaco, Nürburgring, Silverstone, Rheims, Monza etc etc (see "Rush" for using Boreham for every grandstand and Cadwell Park for every track). There is probably not much more than 1 minute of modern footage, mainly in-cockpit and fades between scenes. If you remember that era it adds a lot to your understanding particularly of poorly documented characters like Castelotti, De Portago, etc, but I would not suggest that anyone not interested in that era should watch it. Ultimately so sad and to modern eyes unnecessararily so.

It is not a hatchet job though, unlike some "documentaries" on that era. It presents how it was. If you can pick out John Wyer, Carlo Chiti, Jo Bonnier or Raymond Mays in uncredited groups of faces -- watch the movie!

I accept I might be alone on the face recognition, but that's the decade when my interest in Grand Prix racing started and I still follow avidly :thumbsup:

2. AussieAlex

AussieAlex Nov 9, 2017

Do you have a link to the movie?
    I just watched the Williams documentary. I feel slightly sorry for Claire's older brother, who didn't inherit the family business but, who has been put in charge of the basement, proclaiming, "No one ever comes down here". :D
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6981046/

3. Big Adam

Big Adam Nov 9, 2017

.....plus Snetterton and Brands Hatch

4. TP61

TP61 Nov 9, 2017

I see Williams is on UK netflix already.
    Got it on my list to watch

5. MRC

MRC Nov 9, 2017

6. MRC

MRC Nov 9, 2017

Today I reached the Williams days in Adrian Newey's autobiography. It's a fascinating look behind the scenes of F1 and some Indy too. Mildly but not impenetratably technical of course.
    How to Build a Car: The Autobiography of the World’s Greatest Formula 1 Designer
    http://store.grandprix.com/2017/11/...hy-of-the-worlds-greatest-formula-1-designer/

In the UK it is a "Christmas special" in some high street bookshops at 25% off which brings the price almost down to that well-known river but no shipping to pay.