Forums Latest Members

Everything that's wrong with this piece? Vintage Heuer Chronograph

1. Aquariusmatic

Aquariusmatic Aug 9, 2020

Hi all, I've been sent from omega forums to ask here about this piece. I'll just copy and paste my "findings" and reasoning behind maybe wanting to acquire this piece and I'm looking for your opinions on why it is or isn't a good idea.

Thread:

I've found one Heuer chronograph locally from a brand i cherish almost as i do Omegas. I've found a Heuer pre-Carrera. I'm loving the design, the big eye subdials and the black dial with patinad hands and indices but the watch looks wonky to say the least in comparison with some other images I've googled.

So I'm once again turning to this forum in search of knowledge and advice, can you take a look at the photographs and give me your honest opinion on the watch, whats good whats not good etc etc... I'm liking the big crown and the pushers and thing those are correct but the hands and the luminous look out of place. Is it a sad piece or something i should jump if means allow?

Thank you for having me here!

Omegaforums Thread:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/eve...-this-piece-vintage-heuer-chronograph.117983/

hpc4.jpg hpc3.jpg hpc2.jpg hpc1.jpg

2. Vintage Lemania

Vintage Lemania Aug 22, 2020

Dial looks legit, but may have been relumed at some point. Cant speak on the resto of it though, sorry.

3. pb273

pb273 Aug 23, 2020

I think the difficult part about this is the movement not being signed as well as the back casing. The components in the movement look right when compared to the HODINKEE alternative but the lack of signing is the issue and I’m sure the Swiss guys no matter what will never forget to sign the movement. So it begs the question how did this come to be? In my experience getting parts like this is extremely difficult and costly to make a fake movement. Especially with older heuers there’s just not enough stuff out there. The other thing is the back casing not being signed with the heuer logo and the multiple almost scratched in markings of other serial numbers also begs the question, is this legit? I think the dial and glass are original can’t say much for the pushers. It might just be that this is earlier than the hoodinkee model the issue is that there’s just nothing out there. So I’d say probably if it’s real cheap and you can afford to throw that money around go for it and it might be good luck! But otherwise I’d steer clear with that many unknowns especially if it’s a hefty price tag they want.

4. Vintage Lemania

Vintage Lemania Aug 23, 2020

Man, if ive learned anything from various posts regarding these older pre 60s Heuers is that you really cant be 100% sure of most. I wish there was more documentation for that era.

5. pb273

pb273 Aug 23, 2020

Tell me about it. I got burned as well today. Luckily I didn’t buy anything but it would’ve been an expensive mistake if I did.

6. Vintage Lemania

Vintage Lemania Aug 23, 2020

As much as I enjoy older vintage watches, especially older chronos like this, a part of me doubts I will ever pull the trigger on one, unless I have a bunch of knowledgeable people all saying it is legit, which these days seems to be a rare occurrence with so many uncertianties in these vintage pieces.