Forums Latest Members
  1. Lr823223

Lr823223 Apr 25, 2021

Bought a TH connected + additional strap on 20th March at an AD in Dubai. Was all excited as I'm a fan of the TH brand and thought the watch looked great. As an avid golfer I also hoped to make use of the TH golf app that they are marketing very actively and truth be told, it all looks great! ....if it works.... During the 1st round of golf, my watch ran out of battery after about 14 holes at normal playing pace. Sure it had the GPS, but that should be normal for any golf watch. I went to the TH concept store and they flashed my watch. The 2nd round of golf, on the 8th hole the screen just died. Brought it in for repair, 2 weeks after they replaced my watch. Good service I reckon. Picked up my "new" watch earlier this week and after 2 days the watch doesn't turn on anymore. So that's 2 watches not functioning within 5 weeks or so, that's really unacceptable for a watch of this brand and price. I reached out to TH customer service, no reply so far.... My Garmin Fenix 3 which I bought in 2014 still works like a charm, doesn't look so nice, but never failed me (aside from the mass data breach at Garmin last year.., :) ).

Jim Dollares likes this.
  2. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Apr 25, 2021

Yes @Lr823223 , it seems that -unsurprisingly- the quality control of the 3rd generation of the TH Connected (made in China) is not the same as that of the 2nd generation (the Modular 45), which was 'Swiss Made' directly at the headquarters of TAG Heuer at La Chaux-de-Fonds... because the number and percentage of failures of all kinds (software, screen, battery...) that this 3rd generation is suffering, is higher than it should be :unsure:

My 2nd Generation TH Connected Modular 45 is working better than ever (thanks to the Wear OS updates) after 3 years of intensive use. So it seems that the 'Swiss Made' vs 'Made in China' factor is noticeable in the reliability, although it did not serve to lower the price of the 3rd generation, but on the contrary :whistling:

As for the battery life, have you calibrated it?

3. dtf

dtf Apr 25, 2021

Fully recommend a fenix 5+ or 6. I get multiple weeks from my 5+ with a few hours of GPS use every week.

I have never owned a connected, but I am dispointed with all three generations, TAG had the opportunity to move the smartwatch game on, solve some of the problems that exist with smart watches today, but all they did was stick a generic android smart watch in an expensive case.

Edit: I do love the modular concept of the 2nd Gen connected thou, and am in awe of Alberts collection

Edited Apr 25, 2021
    flawless likes this.
  4. Lr823223

Lr823223 Apr 25, 2021

Well, I have never been able to complete a full round of golf with it, but my suspicion is that even when you start with the battery fully charged, if you have the GPS on it will be quite challenging to complete a full round exceeding 3,5hrs (which is not always within your control or because of lousy golf skills ;-) ). After flashing the 1st watch, I could go through a day of normal usage with BT on, wifi off, "always on screen" off. ...but the lack of quality is staggering. I'm going to ask for a refund, out of 5 weeks of ownership it hasn't worked 50% of the time, curious how they're going to handle that....

5. Lr823223

Lr823223 Apr 25, 2021

Yeah, the Garmin Fenix is a reliable rockstar....but I wanted a smartwatch which I could wear in more professional environments as well, the positioning seemed perfect, but a total let down by the product execution. A shame for a brand like TH.

6. Albert-AMG

Ok @Lr823223 , I guess you didn’t calibrate the battery. Try this, it should improve battery life:

Charge it up to 100%, go to watch settings/system/battery and switch off the battery saving mode (and also the battery saving mode at 10%), and use the watch until the battery is completely discharged and the watch automatically turns off. Then put it on the charger and do not remove it until it is 100% (it should take about 2.5 hours). Repeat that same process (100% / 0% / 100%) at least one more time (ideally two more times), and the battery will already be calibrated and giving its best performance

7. dtf

dtf Apr 25, 2021

Hah about 1/3 the people I meet at work are wearing a fenix of some flavour, 1/2 are wearing an apple and the rest are luddites with a tradition watch or a bear arm. Apple watches have replaced all the rolexs in the last three years. Guess it depends what sector your in.

Maybe buy a garmin Marq?

8. Lr823223

Lr823223 Apr 25, 2021

Thanks for the instructions! At this point, the watch is not working at all, so nothing to calibrate...if they don't want to refund me and have it repaired again, I guess it's worth a try.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  9. Albert-AMG

I do not agree as to the 2nd generation ;)

Yes, TAG Heuer partnered with Intel to develop it, as TAG Heuer's strong point is making watches, not computers, but the 2nd generation Connected Modular 45 is not just another 'generic' android smartwatch: its build quality, its 'Swiss Made' stamp, the materials used (there is no steel version, only titanium, rose gold, black ceramic, diamonds...), the number of customization options and available straps and bracelets, the limited editions, and above all its Modular concept that solve the intrinsic obsolescence problem of the smartwatches (thanks to the mechanical modules that can be interchanged with the smartwatch modules in few seconds) and that makes it 'Connected to Eternity'.

All this makes the Connected Modular 45 different from any other smartwatch, and it also has a strong TAG Heuer personality, sharing the design of the Carrera 45mm (launched in 2015) with Calibre Heuer 01, Heuer 02, and Heuer 02 Tourbillon

E6CCC00F-8BAD-408A-94EA-111B035F976A.gif

flawless, Anthony.R and VRman like this.
  10. Albert-AMG

I wrote my previous post before I saw that you had edited yours! :D ;) :thumbsup:

dtf likes this.
  11. imagwai

imagwai Apr 25, 2021

I'm a big fan of Tag Heuer, and an avid golfer. But Garmin have got this one sewn up.

dtf likes this.
  12. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Apr 26, 2021

Would be interesting to PM the Tag Heuer Golf Connected Ambassador and ask if his watch makes it through a round. That is if he actually uses his Connected during rounds or he's just a marketing tool.

Joeheim and dtf like this.
  13. curtfrommelt

curtfrommelt Apr 29, 2021

since I’ve calibrated the battery I’ll have to try golf again. It didn’t make it through 12 holes starting at 80% the last time I tried it.
    That said.... I LOVED it until then.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  14. Linkshot

Linkshot Apr 30, 2021

Ok so been using the golf app since June last year when I purchased a Gen3.
    Initially app used approx 30% battery during a round whether gps was tied to watch or phone. GPS pickup was poor though and it took 5-10 seconds to activate for a yardage. This was the case up until Uk lockdown at end October.

On returning to golf in April clearly the app has had an overhaul. GPS pickup is as good as my Garmin and the graphics etc are far superior. Downside is battery drain. A round now uses 80% which is pointless as I want to use my watch for the remaining hours of the day without charging. I’ve communicated this to Tag so let’s see if they can sort it out.

Lr823223 and Albert-AMG like this.
  15. Lr823223

Lr823223 May 2, 2021

Well, my watch got replaced, so far I can't flaw the service at least, lets see if this ones fairs better. I'll definitely do the battery calibration and keep all of you posted on whether that makes a difference (on the golf course).

16. Feanor

Feanor May 2, 2021

I am reading a lot about battery calibration here and as far as I know a battery calibration of a Li-ion battery will bring no endurance benefits. If anything, a frequent calibration will eventually harm the battery, because it requires a circle of full charge and discharge, which is widely known that this is exactly what damages Li-ion batteries. This is a remnant of how nickel batteries used to work (letting them fully discharge was actually beneficial for them), but Li-ion batteries lose their fitness, when they spend a lot of time in their two extremes (0 and 100% charge).
    A calibration is useful only if you get wildly inaccurate battery reading (like having an indicator showing 30% battery and then having your device dying abruptly). And then, the calibration will just give more accurate readings, but definitely not a better battery stamina.

17. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 2, 2021

Yes @Feanor , this battery calibration is not to be done frequently, because as you say, then that could harm it, but at least at the beginning of having the watch, and also if after a few months of a calibration and of using the watch normally, we notice that the hours of use of the battery drops abnormally.
    In three years of using my Modular 45, I may have performed that calibration three times.

This calibration really works in our TH Connected, even if it has a lithium battery, and when such a calibration has never been done, the gain in hours of use is important.