Forums Latest Members
  1. Random_nickname

Random_nickname Jan 19, 2018

So after just 3 weeks my Xmas present from the Mrs is already showing signs of wear. I have only worn it probably half the time due to wearing my other watches and haven't banged it or knocked into anything and yet there are some very noticeable scuffs on the edges of the bezel (top left - top). Due to the size of the watch the only explanation would be from it rubbing against jackets etc when taking them on or off.
    IMG-20180119.jpg
    I will be going back to the dealer and having a word as I don't think this is acceptable at all.

Opinions anyone?

2. elbeik

elbeik Jan 19, 2018

I doubt a jacket would rub off on it with such effect. This looks like desk diving or a defect in the coating.

3. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 19, 2018

The top & bottom "modular covers" are not ceramic, they are coated aluminium, so they can show signs of contact when scuffed with hard surfaces. Given your description, I suspect they may have had contact with a jacket's sleeve zippers.

4. Random_nickname

Random_nickname Jan 19, 2018

Can't imagine how bad it will look after months / years of wearing it. I would assume the coating would be a lot harder wearing than this for a brand such as Tag Heuer. Did the previous generation have the same problem or is this a different design to the previous model?

5. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 19, 2018

The previous generation only had the "cap" on the bottom. I don't know what material it was made of.

6. MRC

MRC Jan 19, 2018

It would look like a watch that had spent months / years on your wrist not in a box. What is wrong with that?

P7190416.JPG

All that damage was done by entirely by myself while wearing it between 1970 and now (however I've had a new crystal fitted recently). Can you see those dings when it's on my wrist do you think, or does it just look fantastic?
    P1000792.JPG

OK, you can see the dings in the right light.

But it's still my watch and I still wear it.

El Matarife likes this.
  7. dtf

dtf Jan 20, 2018

There is a difference between aquireing wear like that over 40 years and three weeks. Besides scuffed silver steel shows the silver steel underneath, so it's a more pleasing wear than missing black paint.

I stand by my view that aluminium has no place on a wrist, it's too soft, unless you are incredibly clumsy, no watch should look like that after three weeks. My black Ti aquaracer is in much better condition after a few years.

Love the 70s carrera BTW :)

Akineton and Random_nickname like this.
  8. vicsalt

vicsalt Jan 20, 2018

Interesting, Ive had mine since November and ware it every day from 7am to 8pm in a manufacturing (foundry) environment. is showing no signs of paint peeling at all.

I think your problem maybe associated with the Rolex watch face having a allergic reaction

IMG_0966.jpg
    dtf likes this.
  9. Random_nickname

Random_nickname Jan 20, 2018

Exactly this. I do not agree with babying watches either and a silver watch with scratches can give it a lot of character. However scratched black aluminium looks real shitty.

Ha ha ;)

If it was a Rolex case to match the face we wouldn't even be having this conversation because there would be no scratches.

dtf likes this.
  10. grmontague

grmontague Jan 20, 2018

Love the watchface. May I ask where you got it from. Haven’t worn my Connected in a while but that watchface is making me want to dig it out and put it on

11. Random_nickname

Random_nickname Jan 26, 2018

UPDATE: So I sent it back to the Tag Heuer (London) and their response was 'It is due to wear and tear and not a manufacturers fault' !! WTF

So just to warn anyone wanting to purchase this watch who intends to use it even for formal occasions only (like I have) the paint protecting the black bezel both top and bottom will scratch VERY easily and will most likely look 10 years old after 12 months.

My wife was really pissed as she spent a lot of money on this watch and I think we both agree we will never be buying a Tag again as the quality clearly does not match the over inflated price tag.

12. Alexjl

Alexjl Jan 27, 2018

Ouch, that's rough. I'm sorry to hear that, I can see how that would sour your opinion of the brand quickly. I wonder if there's a fix for the paint issue, short of a black sharpie...

13. MOBEek

MOBEek Jan 27, 2018

where did you get this watch face?

14. Good Times

Good Times Jan 27, 2018

It's an interesting situation because I've got to say, I treat my watch I wouldn't say carelessly, but I'm not precious about it. I swim regularly in the ocean with it, and don't remove it for activities like mountain-biking, mowing the lawns etc, and it's unmarked.

15. ddaenen1

ddaenen1 Jan 29, 2018

I was just asking myself the exact same question...

16. Remo

Remo Jan 29, 2018

_20180129_154913.JPG I have worn my connected 46 since about 360 days. There are just small signs of wear on the corners of the wing (the 46 has only one of them). The edges are still perfect. But I think the wings are most prone to wear. But also the titanium clasp has catched deskdiving signs very fast.
    That's not so bad in comparison to my LG G Watch R, which lost it's color all around the edge of the whole bezel after the same time of use.

17. Random_nickname

Random_nickname Jan 30, 2018

Watchmaker app - monaco

18. deano5384

deano5384 Jul 18, 2018

I am having the same issue. Had it a month, haven’t banged or caught it and mine is showing signs of wear.

What is the material? Can’t be ceramic, Surely wouldn’t scuff that easy.

Edited Jul 19, 2018
  19. Feanor

Feanor Jul 19, 2018

I never had any signs of wear on my Connected 46 and I have no signs of wear on my Connected 45 after two and a half months of constant wearing. I don't know what you're doing with your watches guys.
    Btw, if I'm not mistaken the wings are carbide coated titanium, neither coated aluminum nor plastic.

Albert-AMG likes this.