Deployant Clasp Info

Hi All -

I have a Formula 1 Calibre 16 chronograph watch. Mine is the stainless steel version that came with the standard issue Tag bracelet. Recently, I decided to purchase the Tag Heuer rubber strap that actually goes with the same Formula 1 Calibre 16 watch, but for the black version of the watch. It looks fantastic!

I'd like to actually fit the rubber strap with a deployant clasp and wanted to know if anybody has any knowledge/experience with doing this. If so, what size/type of clasp would you recommend and where can I go out buying one? My main concern is the fit into the clasp considering it's going to be a thicker surface than say a leather strap.

Can anybody advise me on this? I don't need a genuine Tag deployant clasp and am open to after market brands so long as they are reliable.

Kevin

Hi All -

I have a Formula 1 Calibre 16 chronograph watch. Mine is the stainless steel version that came with the standard issue Tag bracelet. Recently, I decided to purchase the Tag Heuer rubber strap that actually goes with the same Formula 1 Calibre 16 watch, but for the black version of the watch. It looks fantastic!

I'd like to actually fit the rubber strap with a deployant clasp and wanted to know if anybody has any knowledge/experience with doing this. If so, what size/type of clasp would you recommend and where can I go out buying one? My main concern is the fit into the clasp considering it's going to be a thicker surface than say a leather strap.

Can anybody advise me on this? I don't need a genuine Tag deployant clasp and am open to after market brands so long as they are reliable.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I think I understand what you want to do- you want to take a strap that uses a pin/ buckle and buy a deployant clasp to fit to that strap?

If so, it will be challenging...not sure it will work. Here's why.

Strap for Deployant Clasp
s-l1600.jpg

Note the flat ends here- obviously no holes in the strap..but that wouldn't matter. The ends are usually a little thinner than say the middle of the strap.

Strap for Pin/ Buckle
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Putting aside that this is for an Aquaracer, to make this work with a Deployant strap you would have to square-off the end of the left-hand piece (i.e. cut off the triangle) and then also cut above the point where the buckle sits on the right-hand piece. These straps typically don't taper in thickness.

So can it be done? Probably..but only with a pair of scissors. And before you cut into an expensive strap, you'd want to be very sure that the ends of the cut strap will still fit through the deployant.

dc

Hi DC,

Thanks for the information and I understand why this probably won't work with the existing strap set up due to the thickness and shape.

Question: is it possible to "cross" Tag model ranges and perhaps get a strap that is "deployant ready"? For example, I think I've seen a Carerra chronograph with a leather strap with deployant. I've been told you can't cross over, but I'm not convinced. For me, do long as the strap fits betweem the lugs, it should work, right? Do you have any recommendations for after market straps that can fit this Formula 1 Calibre 16?

Thanks,
Kevin
Hi Kevin,

I think I understand what you want to do- you want to take a strap that uses a pin/ buckle and buy a deployant clasp to fit to that strap?

If so, it will be challenging...not sure it will work. Here's why.

Strap for Deployant Clasp
s-l1600.jpg

Note the flat ends here- obviously no holes in the strap..but that wouldn't matter. The ends are usually a little thinner than say the middle of the strap.

Strap for Pin/ Buckle
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Putting aside that this is for an Aquaracer, to make this work with a Deployant strap you would have to square-off the end of the left-hand piece (i.e. cut off the triangle) and then also cut above the point where the buckle sits on the right-hand piece. These straps typically don't taper in thickness.

So can it be done? Probably..but only with a pair of scissors. And before you cut into an expensive strap, you'd want to be very sure that the ends of the cut strap will still fit through the deployant.

dc

There are rubber straps that come with deployant clasps. Just measure the lug width on your watch and then go to an AD or TAG boutique and ask what rubber straps they have that fit your watch.

I think officially TAG Switzerland don't like you using a strap meant for one watch with another but really it is your watch so you can put whatever strap you like on it.

Thanks. I've tried this before and AD's have basically said they couldn't order me one other than the rubber strap that coincides with the black version of my Calibre 16 Formula 1 watch. I don't know if they don't want to sell it to me because they are not allowed to "cross" model lines or what, but that was very frustrating. Suggestions?

That is annoying and, as I said, it comes from TH Switzerland. That said, if you are on good terms with an AD then they can order the strap you want, they just have to put the matching watch code in the order and not your watch code, then the order will go through.

That is how I acquired the MP4-12C strap for my McLaren 1974 Edition.