Forums Latest Members

Deciphering (TAG)Heuer (Professional) 1000 model numbers

1. twr7cx

twr7cx May 17, 2022

A year or so ago I pushed one of the Simon Watch Company TAG Heuer Professional 1000 GMT mod watches. It's 980.613B. I've become rather fond of the smaller 37/38mm sizing and am interested in another Heuer 1000 diver in the same size.
    Is there any guide to interpreting the different model numbers to indicate if it's an automatic or quartz movement, and the case size?
    From what I've learnt so far the letter at the end designates revisions to the case and movement - is there a guide as to what the different letters designate for the case changes?

Edited May 17, 2022
  2. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 17, 2022

You might find these links useful:
    https://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-1000/
    http://onthedash.com/docs/DiveWatchRefTable.html

Regarding the letters, my basic understanding is that the first Heuer 1000 model with a thick case had no letter at the end. The second Heuer execution was a thin case model and had the L suffix designation. The third execution has a N designation; these are usually TAG Heuer and the case is also thinner but not exactly the same as the L. I've also been told that the B & D suffix have the same case as the N; these are also TAG. But while the cases are the same, I'm not sure if there's any difference between the N, B & D.

I'm still learning about these vintage 1000s, @SteveP knows a lot more.

Edited May 17, 2022
  3. SteveP

SteveP May 18, 2022

Yep @Mspeedster has covered most of the basics above. There is a vast array of models to choose from so you can be spoilt for choice! Just re-covering some of the fundamentals on the model numbers then-

98x = quartz movement (so can be 980/981/982/984 for example) 98x is used for all case sizes, so the full model number is needed to determine the case size. e.g. 980.013 is 'full size', 980.006 is 'jumbo size'
    18x = automatic movement (I think they are all 180, not 181/182 etc) All 'full size' from recollection
    844= automatic movement UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE. Jumbo case size.
    8440= quartz movement. Jumbo case size
    nb if you are looking at something the same size as the .613 you are looking at the 'full size' case, so anywhere I mention JUMBO is the larger size.

The 3 digits after the . determine the actual model as mentioned above. i.e. 980.013

Then we have the letters-
    -Earlier examples had NO letter.
    -Later, as discussed above, used a thinner case and had 'L' at the end-i.e. 980.013L. These are mainly Heuer but you do see some as Tag Heuer branded also.
    -N, B and D are all Tag Heuer. I'm not sure on the differences here but if there are any, they are minimal. The cases are similar to the 'L' case but I believe they are slightly slimmer again.

Hope that helps? Feel free to post any examples here and we can check them out. :thumbsup:
    Steve

4. RockBurner

RockBurner May 22, 2022

More 1000s are always welcome!

5. twr7cx

twr7cx Jun 12, 2022

Thanks.

On the rear of my 'new-to-me' 980.013 it has the following text:
    "ETANCHE QUARTZ ACIER
    5800 W 20
    HL
    20 ATM"
    What does the underlined text mean/indicate?

Where is the serial number on these units and will that assist me in dating it's build year?

6. SteveP

SteveP Jun 12, 2022

Hi, congrats on the purchase-this is one if the staples of the Heuer diver range. :thumbsup:

The markings are really a description of the case/watch--'waterproof quartz steel' and the code for that particular case. (I believe)

HL often indicates originally for sale in Japan/Hong Kong etc. There is no serial number but if we can see a few photos we should be to narrow the age down.
    Best, Steve

Mspeedster likes this.
  7. twr7cx

twr7cx Jun 15, 2022

Thanks. My 980.113 does not have the HL. The '5800' is also replaced with '6142'. Other than that its other back markings are the same.

These are my three now (see attached photographs):

tempImagewkuGxX.png
    tempImagerGqwGw.png

980.613B from Simmons Watch Company with the GMT conversion.
    980.013 from TAG1000Driver with the green bezel insert, sapphire crystal and oyster bracelet. The Heuer clasp came on the 980.113.
    980.113 with a replacement black bezel and movement from TAG1000Driver, Bonito Cinturini 281 rubber strap, original mineral crystal, but the TAGHeuer hands and dial have been swapped out with an earlier Heuer version as the movement that came in it was too small for the large earlier case causing a gap issue. I'm not sure why this came with a Heuer clasp rather than a TAGHeuer one given it had a TAGHeuer dial - I suspect it's been fiddled with a bit over the years...

What I particularly enjoy is that despite essentially being three of the same watch, their particular features make them seem very different - different dial and bezel colours, different bracelet styles or strap, different case dimensions and weights (the later thinner and lighter B is certainly my preferred though), GMT conversion, different dial markings of Heuer/TAGHeuer, '1000' or not, 'Quartz' or not, different clasps on the bracelets, different crystals - mineral or sapphire, domed or flat - to me, these all contributes to a significantly different look and feel from watches that are essentially the same...

This picture shows the gap issue between on the side of the dial on the 113 with it's previous dial, hands and movement combination:
    [​IMG]
    51748192372_fcd76fda3e_b.jpg

The 013 has an unsigned crown (photo attached). Was this a thing on these earlier models, or is this an aftermarket replacement crown?

tempImageAHPDVS.png

I found on Google images that some of the earlier Heuer models had a Heuer signed crown:

[​IMG]
    Heuer-Night-Diver-quartz-Full-Lume-Dial-980.113-37mm-10.jpg

My final move is I'd like to fit a sapphire date magnifier (date bubble or cyclops) to the 013's crystal. Being flat this should be a simple UV glue on job. It'll complete the knock off Rolex look and adds another unique feature to differentiate amongst the three...

Edited Jun 15, 2022
    dtf, Mspeedster and imagwai like this.
  8. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Jun 15, 2022

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg My 1k has a signed crown (bought early 2000s), and a tatty dial, no idea where the indices went, AD never found them when opened the watch. Rear of bracelet logo still showing only a little wear.

SteveP and Mspeedster like this.
  9. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jun 15, 2022

Nice collection, with some interesting mods. I like the Kermit look bezel mod of your 980.013! :D

Your 013 looks to be the Heuer thick case model (first release), it is correct for it to have an unsigned crown. Later models with the letter suffixes (e.g. L, N, B & D etc.) had signed crowns. This is not specific to the 013, all Heuer thick case 1000s originally came with unsigned crowns.

10. dtf

dtf Jun 15, 2022

three great watches, love how different they all look.

…now where can I find a full lume 1000 gmt

11. SteveP

SteveP Jun 16, 2022

Yes, you've got 3 different types there-
    1 Early thicker Heuer case (980.013)
    2 later thinner TH case (980.113L?)
    3 another later TH case
    hence the different crowns-which look correct. You don't see too many 'HL' cases-only the imports from the far East.

Even without any later modifications, the range as they came from the factory had plenty of variations!
    Steve

12. RockBurner

RockBurner Jun 16, 2022

Custom made....

But let me know when you do it, I'd be tempted by something very similar.... ;)

dtf likes this.
  13. twr7cx

twr7cx Jun 16, 2022

If you have a lume watch you can purchase the GMT bezel from TAG1000Diver. Then I'm pretty sure Tyler of Simmons Watch Company has posted online what movement to use for GMT functionality. Likely you'll also be able to find out what GMT hand to source from him too. He has shut down Simmons Watch Company but he seems to be involved in a new venture supplying BMW parts so is still available online and likely would give some assistance/guidance or even be convinced to do it for you at a cost.

14. SwissTAG

SwissTAG Aug 5, 2023

so what is the actual size of the 613B? I just purchased one off of eBay and the bezel is 36.8 and width including crown is 40.9. Is that correct?