Forums Latest Members

Custom Watchfaces and Burn-in for Connected E2 Modular 45 and 41

1. Feanor

Feanor Mar 11, 2019

Hello,
    I finally took the plunge and I downloaded WatchMaker and together with it some of the really amazing TAG Heuer watch faces. However my enthusiasm was short lived, when I remembered that an always-on display mode may not really protect against burn-ins. I made a short research and I understood that there are two premises that have to be fulfilled to protect the screen from burn-ins. The first is to keep the minuscule movements of the screen in dimmed mode (I read that WatchMaker doesn't interfere with this). The second is to make sure that the movement is enough to clear periodically all lit pixels from occupying the same spot, which I think is virtually impossible, if the watch face is solid shapes instead of outlines. So in the end I decided against using WatchMaker for the time being.
    My question is, has anyone noticed any screen burn-ins because of using a custom watchfaces with full always-on mode?
    Thank you.

2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 11, 2019

I have not seen any burn in. But if you're concerned, how about changing the watchface every day?

Albert-AMG likes this.
  3. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 11, 2019

Same here: I don’t see any burn-in, and I’m using always-on display mode with WatchMaker faces (fully detailed and coloured all day) since 10 months ago... but -as Hubert suggested you- I change the watchface every day

4. Feanor

Feanor Mar 11, 2019

I thought about it and it would be a joy to change watchface daily but still, around 15 hours with one static image per day seems a bit risky to me. I have seen promotional Samsung Galaxy S8 and S9 phones in retail stores that obviously got neglected to a static image of their -normally running in a loop- promo video and their displays were ruined by heavy burn-in.
    I may just use it for fun occasionally, or for half a day.

5. Catweazle

Catweazle May 7, 2019

Hi, I'm completely new to this forum. I am considering to possibly buy a 2nd hand THMC 45.
    What was holding me a bit back was that the color watch face will be only on for a few seconds until it turns into a minimalistic black and white display.
    I then saw your posts that there is an option to have an always on color display.
    It will be dimmed after a few seconds, but will be still in color.
    I have downloaded watchmaker already, although it's very much limited when used with an Apple Watch, which I'm currently using.
    Is there any guide how to activate this always on color display for the Tag Heuer ?
    Will that drain the battery even faster? I saw that the Tag Heuer has only ard 25 h battery life. I assume that will be even shorter then?
    There seems to be also no risk of 'burn in'?
    And - I also read in this forum that there might be a new Tag Heuer smartwatch released by end of 2019? Is that maybe just a rumour or would it be worthwhile to wait?
    Either way, I think the Tag Heuer smartwatch is by far the best looking smartwatch available as of now.
    Your replies would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

6. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 11, 2019

Hi!

The WatchMaker app works very different in Apple Watch. If you install WatchMaker Premium in your TH CM45, then you can set the “always on” screen very easiliy, and you can set how many seconds it remains in bright mode before switching to dimmed (but fully detailed and coloured) mode.
    I don’t like to wear a black screen, so this is one of the reasons I chose the TH CM45 over the Apple Watch. But I don’t like the minimalistic black and white dimmed faces of the factory installed TH faces, so WatchMaker app is the perfect solution to always wear a nice face.

About battery life, obviously an “always on” and always fully detailed face is consuming more battery than a black or minimalistic b&w screen, but -specially since last System H update- you can enjoy all day a fully detailed face with no battery problem if you charge the watch every night.
    At the moment I have no “burn in” problems in my TH CM45 using all day always on fully detailed faces. I change the watchface every day, so maybe this helps to avoid this problem

The only official info about a third TH Connected generation is that it’s coming in 2020.

And I agree with you: it’s the best looking smartwatch, and it’s modular! :thumbsup:

marcofreb likes this.
  7. Tager

Tager Jun 22, 2020

Does anyone know if you can download this app in iPhone and use with my tag connected 45 ?