Forums Latest Members

Carrera's achieving higher and higher prices..

1. x3no

x3no Nov 8, 2015

I know Carrera's are going up in price, but wow this result surprised me even. I watched the last 15 minutes or so.. It was around $9.8K then. And in the last 30 seconds went from $11.8K to $16.8K where it ended. Amazing. Glad I have one, but feel bad for those who are looking for one!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintag...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

gophishin likes this.
  2. CajunTiger

CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 8, 2015

The last sales of the NST have been in the $14,000 range. The last one listed on OTD sold in 2 days asking was over 13k. Before that I know of at least two that both sold in that range pretty much immediately after offered. When you consider the very similar and more common Rolex Daytona starts at $30k...I don't think we have reached the top end just yet.
    The one on Ebay looks to be in exceptional condition...one on the cleanest examples that has shown up recently.

Several hours before this sale a 3646 sold for $8500...they were selling for $3500 just 2 months ago...crazy times for sure.

Edited Nov 11, 2015
    gophishin likes this.
  3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 8, 2015

...yet Monaco prices have stagnated (excluding PVD Monaco and first series/ Chronomatic). A few years back it was all about the 1970s...now it's all about the 1960s

4. CajunTiger

CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 8, 2015

I think partially because the Monaco was already priced higher than its brothers due to the Paul Newman effect...combined with its unique shape, which to a certain extent limits its demand- the Carreras and Autavias were just under the radar until recently.

As Rolex and other brands have increased in values beyond the reach of many collectors, they have sought out alternatives...Heuer was a natural due to its heritage and relationship with racing...not to mention the similarity of the movements. Suddenly it became desirable to many collectors overnight.

5. x3no

x3no Nov 8, 2015

I haven't seen the sales of the NST's that you mentioned. I did see a few go up for sale, but did not figure out the final selling price. Either way, I saw them disappear which to me indicated a private deal happened.. and quite quickly! If we have not reached the top end or close to it, I can't wait to see where they go. Don't even get me started on the Autavia's. Some of them are rocketing into the stratosphere faster than others.. and I can't keep up.. sigh.

6. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 8, 2015

These are the ones to pick up- pre Carrera series with the Valjoux 72 and many of the design elements of the Autavia (photo source). Usually in the mid $3000s, although rising

[​IMG]
    Only problem is that this series doesn't have a name..reference numbers only, so harder for collectors

x3no and CajunTiger like this.
  7. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 9, 2015

I've said this somewhere else but I'll say it again, the 20k range Daytonas are generally polished and pretty shagged out, they don't hold up as well due to the bezel either, and the bezel makes them wear a lot smaller than they should.

Even in 30k range from dealers there's a lot of junk floating around, but really when you separate the hype and Paul Newman ownership, its not a great watch, its small, its lugs are boring and unattractive, and its expensive due to speculators and people jumping on the bandwagon.

Speedmasters were undervalued as hell a few years ago, especially Cal 321s and are now shooting up, with nice 2998s on par with most of those lower end Daytonas now and Christies are even doing a dedicated Speedmaster auction soon. The Speedmaster is a better watch, its bigger, its more contemporary, and its more interesting, it has a history beyond a movie star and dealer hype.

The Carrera is in the same category as the Speedmaster, it wears bigger, it feels more clean and contemporary, its lugs make it far more interesting and attractive, and its still undervalued, such that if market forces were taken out of the equation and the two were priced similarly I'd take the Carrera in a heartbeat.

There's a reason these Daytonas sat on shelves collecting dust at ADs for below retail before the collector market for them took off decades later, there were many better chronographs out there.

If you lined up those three chronographs in front of a woman, not a man who's heard about the Daytona and knows how much they cost, and ask her which she likes the most, the Rolex will be bottom of the barrel every time.

x3no likes this.
  8. gophishin

gophishin Nov 9, 2015

I can certainly appreciate these pre-carrera like models and the heritage they bring, and I would certainly be interested in owning one, but they just lack that certain intangible wow factor the 60s models have, at least to me. I don't know if it's the details, finishing, or refinement, but there is something about the 60s Carreras that had me entranced the first time I saw them, and keep my staring at my wrist even after I own one.

9. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 9, 2015

That's a very fair observation- and I'm not saying that I prefer this to a Carrera (the Carrera case is nicer for sure), just that if this watch was called the Heuer Sebring it would be priced at a lot more than a third of a Carrera!

gophishin likes this.
  10. x3no

x3no Nov 9, 2015

Make sure you blur the brand name too. Once a woman see's "Rolex" her eyes will light up anyway.. :D

11. CajunTiger

CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 9, 2015

I agree with most of this, although I prefer the Daytona over the Speedmaster in the looks department. The Daytona is small, but to me it doesn't wear any smaller than the Carrera. As far as looks go, the Carrera wins the race by a mile...the most elegant watch ever made. The 30k price I mentioned is for the 6239, 6240 and 6262 models. You can find very nice examples under 30k if you look.

I think if you did the line-up...the Speedmaster will be at the bottom every time. Bottom line is the Carrera has not reached the mountain top...there just aren't enough to go around.

L1002412daytona.jpg
    boat2dan and Hubert like this.
  12. al128

al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 12, 2015

that seems to be a fairly good compendium on whats going onin the market