Forums Latest Members
  1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jul 25, 2015

2. automobilia42

automobilia42 Jul 25, 2015

Great review, I like the changes on the final production watch like the date and the more visible new logo!

Calibre11 likes this.
  3. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jul 25, 2015

The "Final Design" is so much better. Cleaner, more legible, and at least to me, now a contender for my collection. Very glad to see those changes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

george023 and Calibre11 like this.
  4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 28, 2015

I really like this, though I rather liked the red edged bolts on the prototype. Very smart. I quite like the thicker bezel too, that was always my problem with Carrera's...

5. calibre11user

calibre11user Jul 28, 2015

One change that was not mentioned in the preview article is that the new version looks darker. Specifically, the gears and the dial background (underneath the gears) are now dark grey instead of silver. But then, it might just be the lighting was different in each picture.

I liked the Tag Heuer logo on the sapphire glass in the earlier prototype. I don't think I've seen that on any other watch. The logo would have rubbed off eventually, though.

6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 28, 2015

Could they not have etched the logo on the inside of the glass though?

Anyway, it's lovely, I'm going to start saving my pennies!

7. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jul 29, 2015

Have to say that the logo on the glass was a little distracting. Looked great from some angles and a little odd from others.

Not sure if the metals are darker...could just be the photo. We'll see!

8. dtf

dtf Jul 30, 2015

Good review, like the final design a lot more, but this is still ruined by the 02 for me.

9. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 2, 2015

Tomorrow!
    Reveal.png

10. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 3, 2015

11. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2015

That really is so much better how they've done the logo as an applied metal shield sitting above the dial like that, it really adds balance to the dial and increases that perception of depth that the skeletonized movement creates.

The new TAG font kind of fits with the modern technical look of the movement/dial too.

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 1.03.42 PM.jpg

12. Hubert

13. Hubert

Yes, the logo engraved on the crystal was distracting and it took away from the purity of the design. Although I like the font of the new logo, I still think it could have been a bit less wide.

14. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2015

I can sort of see why they went so wide, as vertically, to make it big enough to read easily it takes up a lot of space when placed at the top of the dial on watches, especially in things like ladies watches.

15. Hubert

I think JCB really wanted to make 'Heuer' more prominent, since it always seem to have "second billing" on the original TH logo commissioned after the acquisition by TAG.

16. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Aug 4, 2015

Another shot, added to the review

[​IMG]

Hubert likes this.
  17. calibre11user

calibre11user Aug 31, 2015

Ablogtowatch.com posted a review of the Carrera Heuer 01. Note, though, that they reviewed the model shown at Baselworld 2015, not the new one discussed here at Calibre11.com (where one difference is the logo was moved from atop the sapphire glass to being under it).

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/tag-heuer-carrera-heuer-01-watch-review/

The TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 01 is clearly intended to be marketed to two key demographics: first, fans of the brand who have been looking for something new with a new design from TAG but at a price that is at last more reasonable; and second, to that vast number of younger generation watch buyers who are getting into purchasing more high-end timepieces, are looking for a brand with a strong and relevant modern identity, but at a price level that is more affordable than the brand they wanted to enter previously.

The users' comments are brutal, by the way. Brace yourself.

There is also a video accompanying the written review:

18. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 31, 2015

The comments section on many ABTW articles gets a bit like that, I don't know why there's quite so much aggression and nastiness among some of them, but I'd wager quite a few are more the would be if they could be types rather than serious collectors.

Sort of like the bloke at the pub who tells you how much the new Aventador is not a real "driver's car" because it has all wheel drive before hoping into his Kia to head home.