Forums Latest Members
  1. aendu

aendu Oct 31, 2016

Hi there,
    i bought a Carrera 45 some days ago. Serial is 70xxx. Could anyone give me an indication about the age of the watch? What is the best way to check the movement? Send it directly to the Tag Heuer Vintage workshop?
    Thx for support! Carrera 45 -3.jpeg Carrera 45 -7 .jpeg

2. abrod520

abrod520 Nov 1, 2016

Hello and welcome, what you have there is actually a reference 3648T - it's gold-plated rather than the stainless steel 3647.

A 70xxx reference would date it to probably middle of 1966 based on the research of those much more knowledgeable than I.

As far as watchmakers go, try Google for one in your area, or ask around here or at the OnTheDash Heuer forum - chronocentric.com/forums/heuer

SteveP likes this.
  3. aendu

aendu Nov 1, 2016

Thx!
    Do you think its possible to get documents/certficates from Tag Heuer? Bought it without anything...:unsure:

4. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 1, 2016

No, TAG Heuer won't formally certify a watch.

I also agree that if you have a good local watchmaker, then that's the place to go...but if not, then TAG Heuer Switzerland can give your watch the full-treatment (all vintage servicing is done in Switzerland)

5. CajunTiger

CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 3, 2016

I would not send it to TAG until the make some changes to the way they handle vintage watches. I understand this is coming, but until they do they are not properly trained to handle vintage pieces and additionally they will replace parts unnecessarily with incorrect modern parts.

I have had a very bad experience with TAG service that cost in excess of $1000. I had to send the watch to a watchmaker to correct all the mistakes TAG made which cost an additional $500. The service they performed on my Carrera was very poor and they made several mistakes. For $1000, you would think they could at least correctly service the watch, but it returned with the hour dial not resetting to zero among other issues. My watchmaker corrected the problems, but his comment to me was "...I think its safe to say that the work that was done at Heuer was PISS POOR!"

Your watch looks stunning, I wouldn't do anything other than a basic service. Do not let anyone tell you pushers, crown or hands need to be replaced, they appear to be all original to the watch and look exceptional. For that matter it looks like the watch was rarely worn.

Edited Nov 3, 2016
  6. aendu

aendu Nov 4, 2016

Thx a lot for your valuable comment!! It would have been just an hour ride for me to bring it directly to Tag Heuer in La Chaux-de-Fonds...
    I am looking for good watchmakers in the area of Basel, Switzerland or Innsbruck, Austria... has anyone made good experience with watchmakers in these regions?