Carrera 36 Flyback advice needed

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased one Carrera 36 Flyback, the CAR2B10, and I am still trying to figure out how to set up the seconds. When I pull out the crown, the line for permanent seconds (the small one on the left) is still moving. I found no way to actually stop the seconds line, so I can accurately set it up.

Do you know how this is done? Is there an issue with my watch, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Matei

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased one Carrera 36 Flyback, the CAR2B10, and I am still trying to figure out how to set up the seconds. When I pull out the crown, the line for permanent seconds (the small one on the left) is still moving. I found no way to actually stop the seconds line, so I can accurately set it up.

Do you know how this is done? Is there an issue with my watch, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Matei

Hi Matei,

No, there's nothing you are doing wrong. The El Primero is a non-hacking movement, that is, the seconds hand doesn't stop when you pull out the crown. Not sure why, but I'd guess it was a technical limitation back in 1969.

Many thanks for your fast reply.

Glad to hear that it is not an issue with my particular timepiece. However, do you know if there is any way to accurately set the seconds?

Hi Matei,

No, there's nothing you are doing wrong. The El Primero is a non-hacking movement, that is, the seconds hand doesn't stop when you pull out the crown. Not sure why, but I'd guess it was a technical limitation back in 1969.

I thought hacking referred to the movement of the seconds hand moving in one second increments as per a quartz or a deadbeat complication as opposed to sweeping as per the majority of automatics?

So the El Primero really doesn't have a stop seconds function to accurately set the time??

My Speedmaster (and also my Carrera reissue which uses the same basic movement) doesn't hack but I am able to hold the second hand by gently moving the crown anticlockwise a small way and holding it there. Not sure if the el primero movement is the same.

Great to see someone who recently bought a cal36 flyback. Its a good addition to your collection coz this piece is actually discontinued now together with grand carrera. Would you mind sharing a wrist shot? I bought the black racer edition 2 weeks ago I end up buying the display one with a good discount and a free brand new leather strap from tag heuer. Yeah unfortunately no hacking on this one but this is a high beat mvt at 5hz so it should keep an accurate time. Cheers!
Edited:

Agree with you, I think this piece is nice to have since it was discontinued.

Would you mind sharing a wrist shot?

This is a photo with the leather strap, will post one soon with the steel band.

Agree with you, I think this piece is nice to have since it was discontinued.

This is a photo with the leather strap, will post one soon with the steel band.
Nice. Im thinking of replacing the strap with something red or even swap my 1887 racing edition strap. . Here's mine

Nice. Im thinking of replacing the strap with something red or even swap my 1887 racing edition strap. . Here's mine

Have a look at a Hirsch Robby in red, I reckon that would work quite well. The only downside is the buckle doesn't come in black.

Have a look at a Hirsch Robby in red, I reckon that would work quite well. The only downside is the buckle doesn't come in black.
Thanks. Im planning to use the tag heuer clasp. Thanks Il have a look.

Thanks. Im planning to use the tag heuer clasp. Thanks Il have a look.

Since you wish to keep using the TH clasp, you will be limited by the straps you can buy to those that are specifically designed for TH clasps. Also note that there are two types of clasp, one that accepts a 2mm thick strap and one that accepts a 3mm thick strap. You need to know which you have in order to select a compatible strap.

The Hirsch Robby will not work unless you retain the buckle it comes with.

Great photo. That watch looks so much nicer than when I saw it in the outlet...

Bumping this thread :thumbsup: Hi guys, it's been 3 years from the last post by sir Rob. Just want to know any feedbacks on the Carrera Flyback Calibre 36? Thinking of getting an El Primero Movement as the next wishlist ;) Would you get the dual tone dial or the racing edition and why?

Bumping this thread :thumbsup: Hi guys, it's been 3 years from the last post by sir Rob. Just want to know any feedbacks on the Carrera Flyback Calibre 36? Thinking of getting an El Primero Movement as the next wishlist ;) Would you get the dual tone dial or the racing edition and why?

I originally fell in love with the white/black dial (the dark colours never did it for me) but I eventually bought the titanium, black racing edition.

Here is the the white/black on my wrist when I tried it on once:

DSC_0853.JPG

.... and here is the racing edition on a Hirsch Carbon strap:

DSC_1683.JPG

I originally fell in love with the white/black dial (the dark colours never did it for me) but I eventually bought the titanium, black racing edition.

Here is the the white/black on my wrist when I tried it on once:

DSC_0853.JPG

.... and here is the racing edition on a Hirsch Carbon strap:

DSC_1683.JPG

Great! Thanks for the feedback sir @Mr_Orange :)

The leather strap with red stitching is very nice! I really like the combination of the red stitching on a black case (similar to the grand carrera rs also with calibre 36)

i’m still debating whether i’d go with the titanium racing edition vs the black/anthracite dial. Both have the same el primero movement and have dark dials but i’m looking into legibility or ease of reading the dial since this calibre 36 flyback design is very busy imho. ;) the winner will get a perforated black leather strap with red stitching :cool:

FA9B7E7B-88C5-4F0E-806A-06B31EB7A7C0.jpeg
Edited:

The racing edition does have a busier dial but, in reality, one doesn't notice it.

i’m still debating whether i’d go with the titanium racing edition vs the black/anthracite dial. Both have the same el primero movement and have dark dials but i’m looking into legibility or ease of reading the dial since this calibre 36 flyback design is very busy imho. ;) the winner will get a perforated black leather strap with red stitching :cool:

FA9B7E7B-88C5-4F0E-806A-06B31EB7A7C0.jpeg
My vote is for the racing edition with Tachymetre :thumbsup:, and it would make a better match with the red stitching ;)

My vote is for the racing edition with Tachymetre :thumbsup:, and it would make a better match with the red stitching ;)

Same but I am bias. My vote is for whichever one you like @kappa_md .