Can TAG Heuer service one of their early F1 Quartz watches?

I have an early F1 with the 965.313 module and it is trying to run, but it doesn’t keep time.

I’d like to get it running as it holds immense sentimental value: it was given to me by a friend at McLaren when I worked in Formula 1.

He was in their market department and when he left the team for a job at another team he gave me the watch off his wrist.

I know he gave it he watch to me in Adelaide and I think it must’ve been 1988 . . .

Lately we've been hearing that TAG are no longer servicing these unfortunately, but you should be able to get a local watchmaker to help you. Bigger problem is sourcing bezels and straps etc. Bezels are stupid money now

That watch has a very cool story! I’m surprised to hear TAG stopped servicing these, as TAG has a history of servicing older models for a longer period of time than any brand from Swatch Group, and many others.

Luckily, the movement inside is still readily available, and not expensive at all, and a local watchmaker should be able to get it running again for fairly inexpensive. I THINK that movement is an ETA 955.114, but will be stamped on the circuit board.

Hi there! Incredible story, I'd love to see pictures of your F1! Amazing that you were gifted it while working in Formula One. I always remember team members wearing the F1s on the rubber dive strap.

I'm currently going through the process of restoring my WA1211 (371.513) TAG Heuer F1 from 1994. TAG Heuer Canada told me they no longer will service the watch as parts aren't made anymore. My watch maker is currently cleaning/servicing the original 955.414 movement. A brand new ETA movement is readily available online luckily for less than $50.

1721920-c6ff63faa54e7aaf7ccccf943e1da812.jpg

they no longer will service the watch as parts aren't made anymore
This really adds to the Swiss marketing scheme of romantic watches that can 'live forever' and go from generation to generation

I was looking at buying a Titanium a few years ago, I asked a contact if they could check if TAG Heuer had extra links available as the bracelet was probably too short. The answer that came back was... Titanium watches are too old to supply parts for they would have to go back to the factory (where they would presumably insist on servicing it). So I never did get a Titanium unfortunately. Shame...

I was looking at buying a Titanium a few years ago, I asked a contact if they could check if TAG Heuer had extra links available as the bracelet was probably too short. The answer that came back was... Titanium watches are too old to supply parts for they would have to go back to the factory (where they would presumably insist on servicing it). So I never did get a Titanium unfortunately. Shame...
I saw a guy on the TH Facebook group got his 1990s 2000 Classic serviced at TAG. They replaced pretty much everything, I honestly couldn’t believe it. In the back of my mind I was wondering if it was even the same watch. I mean, TAG replaced the crystal, dial, hands, bezel, crown, and looked like they replaced the bracelet as well. It was a plated two tone model, so either they replaced the plated parts, or re-plated them. Either way it had me scratching my head lol.

It seems to be very specifically the plastic F1s that are no longer worth their time. Probably because you can buy one for £150 but they are gonna charge double that to service. They are probably sick of people sending them in and then bailing once they get the quote. This of course is one of the reasons I dumped my F1 collection.

It seems to be very specifically the plastic F1s that are no longer worth their time. Probably because you can buy one for £150 but they are gonna charge double that to service. They are probably sick of people sending them in and then bailing once they get the quote. This of course is one of the reasons I dumped my F1 collection.
Yes but once watch "journalists" and collectors fire up the hype train everyone will want them and prices will sky rocket. Most collectors crave only what social media and hodinkee tell them to crave 👍

Yes but once watch "journalists" and collectors fire up the hype train everyone will want them and prices will sky rocket. Most collectors crave only what social media and hodinkee tell them to crave 👍
The truest thing I’ve read all year.

I have an early F1 with the 965.313 module and it is trying to run, but it doesn’t keep time.

I’d like to get it running as it holds immense sentimental value: it was given to me by a friend at McLaren when I worked in Formula 1.

He was in their market department and when he left the team for a job at another team he gave me the watch off his wrist.

I know he gave it he watch to me in Adelaide and I think it must’ve been 1988 . . .
Very cool story!

It's cheaper just to swap out the movement rather than an overhaul service. A common problem with these 30+ year old quartz modules is for the coil to go bad, which can be replaced as well.

Here's a pic of my Team McLaren F1.😀

So a few years ago I asked TAG Heuer how much it would cost to change the movement in an old F1 I was looking at buying. They quoted £300. Which is about £100 more than the watch was worth... if you can do it yourself then it makes sense - obviously why Snowy has learned how to do it, haha.

So a few years ago I asked TAG Heuer how much it would cost to change the movement in an old F1 I was looking at buying. They quoted £300. Which is about £100 more than the watch was worth... if you can do it yourself then it makes sense - obviously why Snowy has learned how to do it, haha.
I use an independent watchmaker. About a year or two ago, his price for a full service on these was $125. The price to swap out the ETA movement with a new one was $95 (parts & labor).

I use an independent watchmaker. About a year or two ago, his price for a full service on these was $125. The price to swap out the ETA movement with a new one was $95 (parts & labor).
Independent really is the way to go. Which is why I honestly don’t mind ETA movements.