Forums Latest Members

Calibre 5 (Sellita SW200-1) Page from Caliber Corner

1. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 28, 2023

https://calibercorner.com/sellita-caliber-sw200-1/

Some useful info here regarding our favourite movement. Notice it says 'avoid excessive or aggressive' winding... even on the SW200-1 as the 'fix' hasn't really fixed the problem of tooth stripping.

bpsmith and Albert-AMG like this.
  2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jun 28, 2023

How I imagine Ben winding his orange racer

upload_2023-6-28_15-42-44.gif

thingziliketoo, dtf and bpsmith like this.
  3. bpsmith

bpsmith Jun 28, 2023

Superb! PMSL at that. Crying about the lack of Aquaracer on my wrist. Only 91 days left…allegedly…

dtf likes this.
  4. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jun 28, 2023

PMSL, thank god google can explain these young hip folk terms

bpsmith likes this.
  5. bpsmith

bpsmith Jun 28, 2023

Will have a good read of that later on. Cheers Rob.

6. bpsmith

bpsmith Jun 28, 2023

Young and hip may apply to the terms, but not to me unfortunately. :)

7. abrod520

abrod520 Jun 28, 2023

It's a design flaw unfortunately rather than a fix. Goes back to the ETA 2824 design that was copied for the SW200

8. bpsmith

bpsmith Jun 28, 2023

Made for a good read.

This is the first and last one I will be owning, I know that.

9. abrod520

abrod520 Jun 28, 2023

I've got a Breitling and an IWC with Sellita 200/300 base movements. No problems with those as they're properly finished by those brands; the base movement is just fine with a little extra work and brings with it the advantage of being able to be serviced by anyone long after the warranty expires.

On the other hand I've had many low-end and micro brands with Sellitas and they always develop this problem. And the fact that TAG is apparently putting them out with no (or minor) improvement for the price they charge is what really disappoints me.

bpsmith and dtf like this.
  10. bpsmith

bpsmith Jun 28, 2023

I’ve liked your post, as I value your experience, but I certainly don’t like the fact that TAG are so lazy and/or tight to do things properly.

I totally understand that this is my first TAG and I have been unlucky / too optimistic in my choice, but the Aquaracer was what drew me in from the start.

I am now thinking of ditching it once it’s back, as it would really annoy me if / when it happens again.

Big shame as I do like many of their designs with other movements not being so problematic.

For me at least, it’s a big spend only to feel disappointed by the reality that the money is down to branding and nice design, with poor quality a sad byproduct.

dtf and McBeardy like this.
  11. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jun 28, 2023

12. abrod520

abrod520 Jun 28, 2023

It's unfortunate at this level to be sure. We're all hoping the new movements are a bit better.

I still enjoy mine though, and just use a winder. I've found that any old cheap winder will do, eBay or Amazon will find you plenty of options.

13. bpsmith

bpsmith Jun 28, 2023

I have a winder here that I have been using, so not been hand winding mine regularly, just when I reset the time if forgot to put on winder and not worn it for a few days. Just got in the habit of setting the time and/or date and then winding it like the website states before wearing.

Should have been fine doing that at the end of the day. This watch has been very well treated and such a let down. When I tested a few of the brand new ones in the AD, when dropping mine off for repair, they were all a lot smoother than I ever remember mine being so might have been a factor too.

Will certainly never hand wind it again, that’s for sure.

McBeardy likes this.
  14. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jun 28, 2023

It's really a shame and quite unacceptable. :mad:

A diver should be a robust tool watch. Not a delicate art piece to be treated with kid gloves, never to be hand wound. It's things like this that continue to give TAG Heuer a bad rep. I don't own an Aquaracer, and for good reason, but it's disappointing and frustrating seeing threads like this.

bpsmith likes this.
  15. McBeardy

McBeardy Jun 29, 2023

I feel your pain @bpsmith & that would leave a sour taste in my mouth also, especially your 1st foray into the brand. Also sucks as you have a good 2 watch combo of modern dive watches which arent a 'Sub Clone'.

For me (& I know many would disagree) but when spending 'high amounts' I like or try to go in-house/ or group in-house. Looks like TH will be going that way but sometime off & expect higher RRPs..

Hope yours comes back fixed and you can enjoy it agian.

bpsmith likes this.
  16. dtf

dtf Jun 29, 2023

I’m not fully bought into the in house movement thing, some aren’t great (just listen to a Heuer 02), but what I do want is a movement consummate to the price paid for the watch. A shitty selita in a microbrand, sure. A shitty selita in a 4k TAG, wtf? I’d rather spend an extra grand and buy breitling, omega or Tudor.

bpsmith and abrod520 like this.
  17. McBeardy

McBeardy Jun 29, 2023

I agree, you want/ would like the movement on par to a degree on what you spend. Looking at the competition and what the RRP cost of the Aquaracer, Tudor, Oris, Breitling are offering better VFM. I know we purchase with our eyes, and visually aspect of the watch go a long way, which they do. But come on at least give 60hr min PR for that price point.

Also unaware of H02 issues? Or just the 'fidget spinner' rotor noise?

Edited Jun 29, 2023
    bpsmith likes this.
  18. abrod520

abrod520 Jun 29, 2023

The rotor noise is one for sure, but I've also experienced problems with 3 H02s

bpsmith and McBeardy like this.
  19. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 29, 2023

You know, I'm willing to bet they don't get many problems with..... quartz.
    :eek:

Jim Dollares, dtf and bpsmith like this.
  20. bpsmith

bpsmith Jun 29, 2023

That Solargraph is looking more enticing by the day.

dtf and Aquagraph like this.