Forums Latest Members
  1. Gabriel_M

Gabriel_M Jan 15, 2024

Hello!
    I am new to the watch world and fell in love with collecting watches after watching YouTube videos with my little brother from a YouTuber named Nico Leonard. I'm sure a lot of you guys have heard of the YouTuber Nico Leonard and I just finished watching one of his videos where he builds under a $1,000 watch collection. The first watch he brought up is a Tag Heuer 2000 Series, Ref. 999.713K and I fell in love with the design! Had I known about this watch much earlier I would've done my research (like I am doing now) to understand this watch as well as learning everything I can about this particular Tag Heuer as I would've purchased it over my Tissot PRX. I have bought the Tissot PRX (35mm Quartz) and I really love the watch however, had I waited about a year after I purchased the watch I could've saved up and purchased the 35mm Powermatic PRX instead of the quartz version.
    What's appealing to me about the Tag Heuer 2000 Series is the case size as Nico states it's 34mm which is perfect for my wrist size! Another thing is that it's also a quartz movement so I don't need to worry about purchasing an automatic watch stand. I really need help in understanding how to tell the difference between real vs. fake Tag Heuer's specifically for the 2000 series that I want. I know since the Tag Heuer I want to buy is old I will have to look online so anyone who can help me will be greatly appreciated! I'm excited to start my first "watch hunt" if anyone even says that haha! Btw I do collect sneakers as well so I am not "unfamiliar" when it comes to hunting sought after/rare items. What sneakers have taught me is having patience pays off and it's not what you know or how much money you have; but it's really who you know that helps out tremendously! Again anyone who can help me understand the Tag Heuer 2000 Series as well as possibly even where to look to purchase an authentic one will be greatly appreciated.

99LinkEd and Shane paradis like this.
  2. Shane paradis

Shane paradis Jan 15, 2024

Welcome! The 2000 series is a great way to start off a watch collection!
    I grew up in the early 2000s, and lusted after these models for so long. I advise taking a peek through the “is my TAG Heuer authentic” thread. You will find some pretty good examples of what not to buy :D

I also HIGHLY suggest taking a look through the TAG Heuer Enthusiast Blog. There are multiple different facelifts throughout the years, so really look and see what stands out to you.
    Here are some that I own/have owned

IMG_2131.jpeg IMG_1815.jpeg IMG_0606.jpeg IMG_0460.jpeg IMG_0056.jpeg
  3. Shane paradis

Shane paradis Jan 15, 2024

Gabriel_M, Aquagraph and HoltzPlatz like this.
  4. HoltzPlatz

HoltzPlatz Jan 16, 2024

Yes, best place to see all the varieties available and info (with pics) is that tagheuer enthusiast's website.
    But then again you can just pick one out from Shane's glorious examples shown here.
    And I agree in advance, so difficult to choose!

Gabriel_M and Shane paradis like this.
  5. 99LinkEd

99LinkEd Jan 16, 2024

Welcome to the forum and definitely take your time selecting. IMHO, used Tags represent excellent value as prices seem stable - some over decades - after initial depreciation. Tons of pics and info on this forum.

PS Nico is a lunatic, but awesome!

Gabriel_M likes this.
  6. Gabriel_M

Gabriel_M Jan 16, 2024

Your watches are beautiful! Definitely helped me solidify my decision on buying one of these Tags that’s for sure. I love the regular silver with black or blue dial but I’ve been looking for a gold watch and the two toned Tag with the white dial is perfect! I still haven’t finished the “Tag Heuer Enthusiast Blog” but it is a great read! Hopefully I can find a good deal on an automatic one in the future. As for right now the one I saw from Nico’s video is a perfect watch for me. It fits my wrist as well as my budget and I’m still in shock I can afford a Tag Heuer. My uncle collects watches from Tag to Breitling and he’s working towards obtaining a Rolex in the future.

Shane paradis likes this.
  7. Gabriel_M

Gabriel_M Jan 16, 2024

Definitely it’s going to be the two toned gold Tag Heuer with the white dial I have my eyes on. Especially being in the market for a gold watch I think that’s the perfect one to own!

HoltzPlatz and Shane paradis like this.
  8. Gabriel_M

Gabriel_M Jan 16, 2024

That’s what makes Nico awesome! I’ve learnt a lot about watches from watching his videos and understanding that there are levels to the watch world. However, even though there are levels we all can come together and appreciate our hobby of collecting watches.
    I’ll be taking my time looking for the Tag as I need to still know how to distinguish real from fake and then even find the two toned version I want.

99LinkEd likes this.
  9. Shane paradis

Shane paradis Jan 16, 2024

There’s one going on eBay right now I think. I’ve been watching it. It’s surprisingly inexpensive for a watch with a solid 18k bezel :thumbsup:

10. Shane paradis

Shane paradis Jan 16, 2024

It’s a lot easier to tell genuine from fake with these older models. Still, very smart to want to give them a study. Feel free to post up pics in the “is my tag heuer authentic” thread, asking our opinions. There are a bunch of helpful people on this forum!

11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 17, 2024

Hi Gabriel, I just noticed this part of your original post. I think you need to be careful because in fact most of the 2000 Series are 37mm not 34mm. There are 34mm models, these have the number 13 at the end of the number (999.713K) anything with an 06 at the end will be 37mm (or even 39mm in some cases). When the numbering changed in 1992 the second number in the part number became the size indicator. So anything with a 1 will be 37mm, anything with a 2 will be 34mm. EG - WN1153 is a 37mm, WE1222 would be a 34/35mm.

upload_2024-1-17_9-28-38.png

I couldn't get reliable size information when I wrote the History of the 2000, but the watches you want are marked 'Midsize'

Hope this helps!

HoltzPlatz and Shane paradis like this.