Forums Latest Members

Bracelet vs Rubber vs Leather vs Textile vs Bund vs Mesh vs NATO vs PRN

1. bpsmith

bpsmith Oct 29, 2022

Intrigued over which people prefer. I am expecting people to say but with bracelet and get the strap too, but I am particularly interested in what people prefer having made the choice or bought both and have a preference.

Feel free to post up images to prove your point too…

2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Oct 29, 2022

MESH!

35631EAB-3F32-4A69-AC02-B0895282AE48.jpeg

thingziliketoo, bpsmith and imagwai like this.
  3. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Oct 29, 2022

Collecting straps is a lot cheaper than buying watches. It's a fun way to change a look and in some cases so drastically that it's almost like getting a new watch!

My preferences change depending on the watch and my mood. Bracelets are robust and convenient, can't go wrong with a nice bracelet. But depending on the watch, I often prefer the look of leather. Rubber is my least favorite, but they're OK too. You didn't mention Fabric or NATO straps, I generally prefer those over rubber.

bpsmith likes this.
  4. dtf

dtf Oct 29, 2022

Bracelet or rubber or leather or nylon…yes

I like them all, they all have their place. I’m less of a fan of leather because its harder to clean and can’t get wet, although I love the look of leather straps. Probably the most comfortable watch strap I have is on my WAY108 aquaracer, rubber backed nylon:
    20985764-44CD-487F-BFAC-0E5BE573DEF7.jpeg

Whatever type of strap I’m wearing, I prefer a deployant with a micro adjust, I can never get pin buckles to be the correct size.

Edited Oct 29, 2022
    Jim Dollares, bpsmith and Mspeedster like this.
  5. RockBurner

RockBurner Oct 29, 2022

Metal bracelet every time for me. I'm a "function over form" type, metal bracelet sheds water better, is tougher, and cooler on the wrist than leather or rubber (ime).

McBeardy and bpsmith like this.
  6. CL1860

CL1860 Oct 29, 2022

I bought watches on bracelets, then I changed with leather or rubber for variation.

PhotoGrid_1639014288594.jpg PhotoGrid_1638334484188.jpg
  7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 30, 2022

Bracelet > Rubber > Leather > Textile > Bund > Pocket Watch > Mesh > NATO > platted rope nonsense.

I have bought several watches on bracelets and then bought the strap for them (not A strap, the strap... only TAG straps), but inevitably they end up going back on the bracelet.

I can't deal with aftermarket straps, they always look wrong to me.

dtf, RockBurner, Yago and 1 other person like this.
  8. imagwai

imagwai Oct 30, 2022

I'd say it depends what suits the watch best. I'm partial to a bracelet (prefer plain oyster style to anything fancy), leather, or rubber (only with a dive watch). Or even a high quality nato provided it's not one you have to loop back on itself.

Edited Oct 30, 2022
    dtf and Jim Dollares like this.
  9. bpsmith

bpsmith Oct 30, 2022

Title was short sighted, probably due to those being my next options. Now duly amended.

Agreed on using the manufacturer’s own straps.

Some lively watches above, showing off the differences perfectly!

Aquagraph and dtf like this.
  10. Yago

Yago Oct 30, 2022

Depends on mood, watch size, watch function,…
    chronographs mostly on bracelet or leather strap. Divers on bracelet, nato, textile or rubber. Love Natos…
    Dress watches on bracelet or leather.
    Bracelet or strap also a factor in deciding which watch I’ll wear for the day. Watchbox has a bit of everything at all times.
    Not a huge fan of rubber, would say my least favourite. However an original tropic strap works really well on most divers.

bpsmith likes this.
  11. danwel

danwel Oct 30, 2022

Like the above post says, for me it depends on the mood and the occasion.

I’ve got the connected modular 45 and love the fact I have numerous straps in rubber, leather and two bracelets to swap and change out to my hearts content

dtf, Albert-AMG and bpsmith like this.
  12. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Oct 30, 2022

I must prefer bracelets but I haven't found one for the Monaco that I'm 100% happy with, maybe it's just not meant to be.

Mspeedster and bpsmith like this.
  13. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Oct 30, 2022

To summarize: Buy on bracelet IF there is even a faint chance that you’ll wear your new watch on it AND it is significantly cheaper than later buying the bracelet separately (which is most of the time)…

Otherwise, I agree with most of what precedes, except that - personally - I’m really not hung up on the “manufacturers’ straps only” dogma since they don’t produce them themselves anyway (especially true for leather and rubber).

My revelation re. how much better third-party straps can be was with FKM rubber ISOfrane: So comfy and they “tame” even chunky dive chronos since they can be very finely adjusted and the material minimizes slipping of the watch.

bpsmith likes this.
  14. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Oct 30, 2022

For me, there are some watches that just need to be worn a certain way. The Monaco is one of them, it's perfect on a racing rally strap. My favorite strap for my McQueen is the midnight blue calfskin from the CAW211D.
    20220925_113928.jpg

The Rolex Sub is another one, always looks best on the Oyster bracelet to me. Although I'll occasionally put it on a Goldfinger NATO when I want to feel like James Bond.
    20211015_093109.jpg