Forums Latest Members

Been awhile, TAG Heuer has brought me back bigtime!

1. DougFNJ

DougFNJ Jan 20, 2024

Hey guys, it’s been awhile. Tag was my first interest in the Swiss luxury watch world. I’ve owned quite a few over the years, Aquaracers, Links, Autavias, and Connected. I had started falling off the brand for awhile. It seemed like Tag under Frederic Arnault was losing its way. When they dropped the Calibre11 relationship, pushed out the Steve McQueen affiliation, and brought in Super Mario, my enthusiasm for the brand dropped off. It seemed like they were moving towards being another Movado.

I give Arnault credit, last year they seemed to had changed gears and stepped up their game. I appreciate when leaders try something new, and make changes where they see fit.

I’ve never owned a Carrera. The Glassbox Carreras came out last year, and I was up and down on them. I loved the look, and appreciated the upgraded movement. I have a 7 1/2 inch wrist. My initial thought on the 39mm was that it would be too small. I loved the unique dial of the skipper and the classic look on the reverse panda. The only initial concern I had on the reverse panda was the date at the 12:00 behind the Chrono hand. A new boutique opened in Short Hills, and I checked them out. My impression had totally changed on the wrist. They wore larger than the 39mm dimensions, and I got pretty excited about this collection. My interest was in the Skipper and initially the reverse panda. They of course didn’t have the Skipper, and I wanted to do some more research on the other. A couple days later, the rep texted me that they were getting the Skipper, and it was mine if I was interested, which I happily took him up on. I got that watch, and now I was sucked in. I was seriously moving toward the reverse panda next when my buddy told me about the CronotempVs CC74 Carrera. They were initially sold out, but some had freed up, and I changed gears and grabbed one. I went from never owning a Carrera to 2. I’ve been really enjoying both so much. My brain still kept telling me I wasn’t done. Last week my AD got the reverse panda in, and before you know it, I have a collection of 3 unbelievably awesome Carrera’s and my Connect. All along this little journey, I’ve been reading through this forum on reviews, photos, and impressions of these watches, and I’m looking forward to picking up my participation. Sorry for the book here, but just wanted to reintroduce myself, and look forward to some fun discussions.

IMG_7411.jpeg
  2. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 20, 2024

Great way to make a comeback!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

DougFNJ likes this.
  3. DougFNJ

DougFNJ Jan 20, 2024

My wallet is still recovering....whoof!

Mspeedster likes this.
  4. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 20, 2024

That's an awesome trio, do you have a favorite?

BTW, I felt very similar to you regarding the direction of TAG Heuer in the past few years. I was always more of a Monaco guy, and after buying my first Carrera in 2021 (the Hodinkee Dato), I seriously doubted whether I'd buy another TAG Heuer anytime soon. But things unexpectedly changed last year and I somehow found myself buying 3 more Carreras. Albeit one was my wife's.
    [​IMG]

thingziliketoo, 99LinkEd, dtf and 5 others like this.
  5. DougFNJ

DougFNJ Jan 20, 2024

Thank you! Incredible bunch you have there! Those Uncle Straps BOR look amazing! I’m really hoping he makes them for the Glassbox models. The CC74 has gotten worn a lot, I’m thinking you can related, but enjoying all of them for different reasons. They all have their uniqueness. The reverse panda is so classic, the skipper so unique, and the CC74 is a good mixture of classic and unique. Hard to pick a favorite, honeymoon hasn’t worn off on any of them yet. Do you have a favorite on yours? How’s your wife enjoying that pink? Maybe a future gift.

Mspeedster likes this.
  6. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 20, 2024

Thanks!
    The 60th Anniversary Panda is my favorite, but just by a hair over my Team Ikuzawa. Ask me next year and my answer might be flipped. I've had the Panda for about a year now, the Team Ikuzawa since Oct, so being newer its getting the most wrist time currently.

My wife loves her pink. She's gotten lots of compliments from her friends, who took notice of her watch. Something that never happened with her old Rolex Datejust. She's not a watch person either, so I'm happy that she's really enjoying it. :)

Anthony.R and Jemagloh like this.
  7. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Jan 20, 2024

What a way to make an entrance @DougFNJ.
    Awesome Tag Heuer Collection.
    Love your YouTube reviews also.
    Glad to see you here at THF.
    Long live Tag Heuer

DougFNJ likes this.
  8. 99LinkEd

99LinkEd Jan 21, 2024

Rather incredible story and pickups @DougFNJ - almost like marrying the same woman twice! Enjoy them.

DougFNJ likes this.