Forums Latest Members

Back in a Classic, just how I like it. 1988 BMW E30 325ix

1. TyJoSimo43

TyJoSimo43 Mar 14, 2019

I know this isn't the most popular part of the forum but I just had to share some of my excitement with somebody.

About a year ago I bought my first BMW e30 325ix, I absolutely loved that car. I drove it every day and happily spent the money for the thirsty I6. Unfortunately on some fateful day, in a neighborhood on my way to my final High School exam a young lady running late for work and speeding along with texting, ran a red going 45 in a 25 and T-boned me on the driver side. She took my baby from me, and almost my life. Luckily my trusty 325ix died for me and I by some miracle walked with just a concussion. They aren't build like they used to be.

This period was when I started getting into watches and watchmaking actually, I no longer had car projects to work on and wanted to keep my mind off the accident.

Here is a photo of her, (I named her Gertrüd).
    IMG_7991.JPG

So fast forward almost exactly a year later. I stumble across a friend from my instagram account @gertruds.garage, who listed their EXACT SAME CAR, 1988 325ix black leather interior, 5 speed red, coupe. For 4k less that I sold mine for to the insurance company. I snagged it right up. I'll be going to pick it up next week.

Here is Getrüd II
    IMG_3528.JPG

I figured I would make a stupid list of every thing that is the same by some kind of miracle.
    - Model, year, and spec (FYI there are only 68 manual IX coupes ever delivered to the US)
    - 5 speed manual (the only way)
    - Red Paint (paint condition is also similar)
    - OEM BBS basketweaves
    - Thule Roof rack (I had swapped in a different faring but I had that exact one)
    - Black leather interior with Recaro sport seats with a small tear on the driver side. Yep, same spot.
    - OEM Radio wiring and premium audio (He shares the same obsession with making it look period correct)
    - IS lip
    - Plastic bumper conversion
    - Pop out rear windows

The only things that weren't the same were things I was eventually going to do, It's almost as if it lived on and somebody else took care of it. If fact, it would probably have had the same number of miles if I had driven it like I had before.

Coincidence?

I think not.

Yago and heuerholic like this.
  2. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Mar 15, 2019

A lost love refound. Better luck with this one.

TyJoSimo43 likes this.
  3. dtf

dtf Mar 15, 2019

Love it! Ix is super rare, I've never seen one in the metal, didn't know they'd made a IX coupe.

I'm a big fan of the e30, I got a lot of ring laps in a few years back in a 320 that we got given by a drunk guy in a bar in Europe. Great steering, slightly binary handling.

TyJoSimo43 likes this.
  4. Gambba

Gambba Mar 16, 2019

The icon that is the E30.....love them.

A manual E30 is a good keeper and doubt you’ll ever lose money on it.

I’m heading off this morning to take a look at a later BMW to add to my garage. I’m a little excited......standby for more details, maybe :cool:

TyJoSimo43 likes this.
  5. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Mar 16, 2019

Enjoy it!

6. TyJoSimo43

TyJoSimo43 Mar 16, 2019

Thank you, if this one ends up poorly, I would then be sure it's bad luck. :thumbsup:

7. TyJoSimo43

TyJoSimo43 Mar 16, 2019

I was certainly one of best cars I had ever driven and the AWD kept it glued. If there is anything I would change it would be adding power. It puts the power it has down well but it is a tad slow.

8. TyJoSimo43

TyJoSimo43 Mar 16, 2019

You should get a e30 m3 instead. ;)

9. dtf

dtf Mar 16, 2019

E30 m3 is top of the list of cars I should have bought when they were 5k! When my wife crashed my e36 m3, I tried to buy a e30 325 coupe with the m-tech2 kit, to fit the e36 m3 engine too, but couldn't convince the guy to sell it :(

TyJoSimo43 likes this.