Forums Latest Members
  1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 13, 2016

As reported here http://www.calibre11.com/heuer-autavia-cup-winner-2446-rindt/ JC Biver has confirmed the CH80 for the 2017 re-edition during a round table with Phillip's Watches

When I spoke to him back in February, TAG was still working out if they could make the CH80 work, or whether to stick with the Calibre 17- it was clear what M. Biver wanted!

Two other pieces of news- "larger" size and it will have a date window.

Hubert and Big Adam like this.
  2. Big Adam

Big Adam May 13, 2016

<cough, splutter> a date window???? </cough, splutter>

3. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 13, 2016

That is excellent news! The CH80 is what probably what most of us were hoping for!

4. imagwai

imagwai May 13, 2016

Good news on the CH80. Whilst a manual wind would have been amazing, that was never realistically going to happen and the CH80 is the best possible outcome. Bad news on the size and the date window, however. If this is a watch for the traditionalists, why not keep it as close to the original as possible? I really want to buy this watch, and will try it on when it's released, but fear the size may make it a no-go for me.

5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 13, 2016

My guess is that CH80 will get a new name- Heuer-03.

So the third name for the movement...fourth if you count the name used during development...Calibre 1888.

6. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 13, 2016

Yes, that's what I deduced after every time JCB "slipped" and said Heuer-03 during your interview. This must be the name they are already using internally for CH80.

7. elbeik

elbeik May 14, 2016

The larger size was foreseeable; I think 43mm is the upper limit.

Let's hope it doesn't got H01 with 45....

8. Big Adam

Big Adam May 14, 2016

I would have expected abrod520 to have commented by now but he may have exploded after reading this news.
    :)

9. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 14, 2016

Yes, there is a fundamental view at TAG Heuer that buyers (as against vintage collectors who will look from the sidelines) want a larger size. That's why the new Monza is 42mm.

I'm sure in the back of TAG Heuer's mind is what happened with the Silverstone- in that case, TAG Heuer may have listened too much to collectors and ended up with a watch that was hard to sell.

It's great that TAG Heuer has taken input from vintage collectors, but that won't be the main target market for the new watch

10. imagwai

imagwai May 15, 2016

The problem with the Silverstone not selling wasn't that it was too small, was it? Whilst it's true that many buyers want a larger watch these days, it would be a shame if Tag Heuer literally had nothing at all in their line up aimed at us smaller-wristed people. Also, I think Tudor has a winner with the Black Bay 36 by the way.

11. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 15, 2016

No, I didn't mean the size specifically...I meant allowing vintage collectors to too heavily influence the design of a new watch. Truth is, vintage collectors (generally) don't buy new watches. If you make a reissue exactly like the old one (Silverstone), then there is no need to buy it (because you have the vintage model ;) ) and if you make it a modern version of the old (first TAG Heuer Autavia), then you'll be told that what you've made is not as good as the old one.

I'd argue that TAG Heuer listened too much to collectors in bringing back the Silverstone and that resulted in a watch with a very niche appeal. Don't get me wrong- I love the Silverstone..but the market didn't.

However, there is a lot of passion and knowledge in collectors that can be used to influence product choices...as TAG Heuer has done. Having heard their voice, TAG Heuer then has to translate that into a product that fits with their brand strategy and with what they know will sell....so we get larger size and date windows.

I am 100% with you on smaller designs. 39mm is perfect for me on something like a Carrera...36mm is a brave choice for Tudor, but I would guess that will be targeted at Asian markets as well as those of us who like a smaller watch

ASW likes this.
  12. abrod520

abrod520 May 16, 2016

I've been drinking away my sadness all weekend ;)

The larger size I'm not surprised at - though the Big Watch trend is showing signs of abating, Tag Heuer are steadfast in their march towards contemporary tuna-can design, ensuring poor resale values going forward. Think I'm exaggerating? Look at resale prices for AP Royal Oak Offshores, IWC Big Pilots etc. lately. Nobody wants them anymore, though this may also be due to economic forces.

As for the date window, that sucks too. Especially with the placement on the CH80 at 4 o'clock, I think it's going to stick out like a sore thumb. Too bad.

Anyone who actually expected this to be manual-wind was dreaming - my comments about such were basically a fantasy :) I fully expected it to be automatic, and likely the CH80 given the subdial placements on the 2446 they selected as inspiration.

All told, if they can keep it slim (not tall on the wrist like the Carrera 1887s) and no larger than 42mm, I might still be interested. Otherwise, well, I've still got my J-LC Deep Sea Chronograph :)

dtf, Big Adam and imagwai like this.
  13. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 17, 2016

If it's any consolation, there is no reason that the date window has to be at 4 o'clock. Here is the same movement used in a watch with the date at 9 o'clock
    [​IMG]
    No reason it can't be at 6...

dtf likes this.
  14. abrod520

abrod520 May 17, 2016

Good point! Though I found the date (along with the "Calibre 1969 Chronograph" text) to be the one weak point on what was otherwise a surprisingly attractive watch in the Carrera 1969. My hope is that they'll move it to 6 on the Autavia, where it's less likely to stick out - meaning I can pretend not to notice it!

I know I've asked before, but are you aware of anybody having bought the Carrera 1969? I handled it at TAG's now-closed 5th Avenue boutique, but couldn't afford it at the time. I'm somewhat interested in finding one secondhand though...

15. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 18, 2016

Nope...never.

I took these photos at the Paris Boutique when the watch had just arrived. After only a few weeks on sale, the un-sold watches were then recalled because they wanted to relaunch as the CH80.

This is the only one I've seen- https://www.cresuswatches.com/tag-heuer-carrera-chronographe-030494

16. drunken monkey

drunken monkey May 18, 2016

I've only ever seen staff's private mobile phone snaps of it from internal events.
    I had heard that one was doing the rounds of the UK boutiques but never got around to asking about it.

17. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 19, 2016

I've done a little more digging and know of at least four that were sold...am sure there were many more than this that found their way into the wild. But out of 500 watches, maybe 100? Maybe 50?.......Maybe 20?

18. dtf

dtf May 19, 2016

Shame it's quite so rare, it's a lovely watch!

19. abrod520

abrod520 May 19, 2016

I do know they were selling them - I think they were asking $12k (US) for it, I could have walked out of there with it if I could afford it. Of course, 12k for a TAG is quite a bit, even if it's got some gold bits and a brand-new in-house movement.... but I'm sure there were at least a few sales.

Wonder what happened to the unsold stock though?

20. elbeik

elbeik Jun 7, 2016