Autavia Heuer 02 US boutique edition going at Bicester Village

Was there too many variants?
Well you've counted 8, but that's still quite a lot I think? They tried to milk all the different colour schemes of the Autavia, even if the case didn't match the original model. I still maintain they should have done one, perfectly executed edition, given that is what lots of people voted for in the Autavia Cup.

Well you've counted 8, but that's still quite a lot I think? They tried to milk all the different colour schemes of the Autavia, even if the case didn't match the original model. I still maintain they should have done one, perfectly executed edition, given that is what lots of people voted for in the Autavia Cup.

None of the Autavias were well executed.

if they'd have done fewer models but better executed (and a little better priced) then I think they would have sold a shed load
Yes :thumbsup:

None of the Autavias were well executed.
Agreed. The vintage Autavia was never a small watch, but it had elegance and good proportions. Why make the diameter even bigger, the case thicker. The bezel proportions were all wrong and made it look like it had been on a high fat diet. TAG were also criticised at the time for putting Heuer 02 and a data window on the dial. It was partly an expectation thing - people had engaged with the project in numbers and voted for this watch but then felt disappointed with the execution. As I say, I was all lined up to buy one (c'mon, a reverse panda Heuer chrono) but just couldn't based on the dimensions and proportions.
20171017_143446.jpg

Agreed. The vintage Autavia was never a small watch, but it had elegance and good proportions. Why make the diameter even bigger, the case thicker. The bezel proportions were all wrong and made it look like it had been on a high fat diet. TAG were also criticised at the time for putting Heuer 02 and a data window on the dial. It was partly an expectation thing - people had engaged with the project in numbers and voted for this watch but then felt disappointed with the execution. As I say, I was all lined up to buy one (c'mon, a reverse panda Heuer chrono) but just couldn't based on the dimensions and proportions.
20171017_143446.jpg

Middle age spread. The thickness puts me off pretty much every TH chrono since the carrera chrono re-edition. It’s the thing I’m worried about with the JH80, but I’ll probably buy one anyway eventually

Middle age spread. The thickness puts me off pretty much every TH chrono since the carrera chrono re-edition. It’s the thing I’m worried about with the JH80, but I’ll probably buy one anyway eventually
Just a warning. I loved my JH80th and would have kept it had it not been for the slab-sides. It looked great top down, but side on, it looked all wrong on my slender wrist.

The 2016 CV211D is/was in stock at Bicester recently:IMG_3581.jpeg

According to the Carrera book, these were UK editions.

As I say, I was all lined up to buy one (c'mon, a reverse panda Heuer chrono) but just couldn't based on the dimensions and proportions.
I fall into this camp. I've looked hard at them countless times, whether it be the Rindt re-issue, JH85, or Viceroy tribute, always thinking I'm going to buy one. I came very close to pulling the trigger on the Viceroy on several occasions. But each time I'd try one on, I ended up passing. They just don't suit my wrist type. I think they're nice looking watches, but they're not for me.

I have the same issue with the vintage '70s cushion case models, they don't wear well on my wrist. So my once upon a time goal of buying a real Siffert is no more. A vintage Rindt or Andretti are probably the only two Autavias on my wishlist at the moment.

I disagree. The Autavia is not the only failed Heuer re-edition. The proper glassboxes like Ice King and Montreal took for ever to sell, despite the very low production numbers. The Monzas stayed forever in outlets. The 41mm like JH80 Carreras were heavily discounted and available forever. Despite what we love in the nerd community, Heuer branded old looking pieces are not big selling mega hits.
The same can be said of just as many TAG Heuer branded models as well, if not more.

However, I do agree that just being Heuer branded isn't the answer. They need to be properly executed. Just about all the re-issues and tributes have flaws or fall short when compared to their vintage counterparts.

The comment I see most often on social media is that the Heuer chronos are just too thick. I do wonder if the 160th models had a manual wind movement, to allow for a thinner profile, if they would've sold faster. Maybe, maybe not, we'll never know.

The same can be said of just as many TAG Heuer branded models as well, if not more.
Probably true but please give some examples of TAG Heuer branded limited editions that were obvious failures? I am blank in my memory so honestly curious to get some input to my brain

Probably true but please give some examples of TAG Heuer branded limited editions that were obvious failures? I am blank in my memory so honestly curious to get some input to my brain
My point was that seeing an old model pop up at an outlet or AD doesn't necessarily make it a failure. It happens all the time. The Aquaracer 844 tribute is one example in recent memory. The Carrera Sport 160th models are another.

The 2016 CV211D is/was in stock at Bicester recently:IMG_3581.jpeg
Well... I still find it pricy for what's on offer...

And when I see the number of stores & outlets discounting TAGs (even recent ones) for this BF, I cannot help but think that pricing is currently TAG's biggest issues.

It's IMHO just less visible with the Heuer re-editions since they're produced in smaller numbers.
Edited:

Well... I still find it pricy for what's on offer...

And when I see the number of stores & outlets discounting TAGs (even recent ones) for this BF, I cannot help but think that pricing is currently TAG's biggest issues.

It's IMHO just less visible with the Heuer re-editions since they're produced in smaller numbers.

Agree, it didn’t get me reaching for my credit card. If it was one of that series that I prefer, or it was cheaper, I probably would.

My point was that seeing an old model pop up at an outlet or AD doesn't necessarily make it a failure. It happens all the time. The Aquaracer 844 tribute is one example in recent memory. The Carrera Sport 160th models are another.
I understand. But it is an impossible comparison to make if we dont know the production numbers of standard models. Internet tells me TAG produces 500-700k watches per year. If a limited edition of 1000 or 1860 pieces takes years to sell it seems terrible but who knows how many thousands were produced of regular models.

I didn't know they struggled to sell the 844 pieces of the 844 tribute, good to know :thumbsup:

In my opinion it would make more sense if they put old stock in landfills or burned it to maintain a perception of high demand.

I didn't know they struggled to sell the 844 pieces of the 844 tribute, good to know :thumbsup:
Well, your "science" on the Cal 5 probably didn't help, scaring people like @Hubert into canceling his order. :rolleyes:

But seriously, that example was meant to show how watches perceived to be successful can still pop up later on as new old stock. So people coming across a NOS JH80 variant or Monza 40th tribute years later doesn't make them failures in my book.

The TAG branded 160th Carrera Sports faired no better than the Heuer branded 160th counterparts in terms of approximate time to being considered sold out.

But does taking a year or two to sellout mean a LE is a failure? For me, I would say no. Not everyone has $6-$10k ready to buy a LE the instant it shows up. I feel @paysdoufs's view of the price being the biggest issue has more to do with it than "Heuer" vs "TAG Heuer".

But does taking a year or two to sellout mean a LE is a failure? For me, I would say no.
Agreed the Speedmaster Alaska and Apollo sojuz with the gorgeous meteorite dial are good examples of slow sales but look at the prices they command now.

The 844 tribute was a flawed idea. Too big/modern to appeal to vintage enthusiasts and too retro to appeal to Aquaracer fans. And yet I seem to remember a lot of people here were excited about it when it came out.