Forums Latest Members

Autavia 2446M Transitional: how 'original' is this piece?

1. Homes

Homes Jun 17, 2019

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help in verifying the components – mainly the movement – of this 3rd Execution Transitional Autavia. I've checked it against the information on 'On the Dash' and there seem to be some plus points but also some causes for concern re. originality.
    On the plus side: the non-bevelled lugs and the square-cut bezel notches; also, the case number (very difficult to see without good lighting and a 10x loupe) falls within the designated range for a transitional.
    On the negative side: obviously the movement – it's a Val. 72 but the colouring is an issue; the stamped crown; also the size of the pushers.
    I'd appreciate any input.
    Thanks. fullsizeoutput_15a6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_15a0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_15df.jpeg fullsizeoutput_15a9.jpeg

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jun 19, 2019

The most concerning one for me is if the serial number falls outside the range. The list at OTD is by no means official or always right, but it's the best guide we have on serials.

That plus the plate colours of the movement would put me off paying top dollar.

3. plibou

plibou Jun 19, 2019

When there is doubt ...
    who know one with v72 plate like this ?
    Never see one ...

Homes likes this.
  4. Passover

Passover Jun 19, 2019

Case looks quite polished :(

Homes likes this.
  5. Homes

Homes Jun 23, 2019

Thanks for your thoughts; the serial number seems correct but, as I said, is now very difficult to see.
    Also, I've never seen another example with this amount of colour in the movement so is the thing which concerns me, too. I was just interested to know what claims I could make regarding its authenticity in the event that I put it up for sale.

6. Homes

Homes Jun 23, 2019

Sorry, are you referring to the serial number of the movement (rather than the case number)? I've never seen a reference to the range of numbers for the actual movements.