Forums Latest Members
  1. Seanl2646

Seanl2646 Dec 9, 2020

Hello,
    My name is Sean and I am new to this forum. I have really enjoyed reading all of the information on this site, and I actually believe I have a watch (out of the blue) that I need to gain a better understanding of.

My wife's father passed away about 15 years ago, and her mother sent a box of watches to our place in Salt Lake; we never looked through them. A majority of them I do not care for, but the Heuer Autavia was in the bottom --really beat up. I did some research and found out that if you smoked a bunch of cigarettes in the 70-80's you could get a deal on this watch! My wife's father smoked back then, and I suppose that this adds up.

I'd love to get it restored, and my initial thought is that you find a reputable watchmaker to polish, replace warn parts, etc. I came across Justin Bennett, and have reached out, and I believe I am going to pull the trigger to have this watch restored (and provide my first "nice" watch). With that said, I don't know what all I need done? Watch does not run, bezel is beat up, glass is scratched. One end of the watch is stamped 11063 V, and I believe the serial number is 387xxx.

What would you guys do? What size of strap do I need? Where do I get a clasp (should it be Heuer)? I appreciate any of your thoughts as I know you are all very knowledgeable and have a passion for watches. I am hoping this begins that journey for me.

Sean

image0.jpeg image2 (1).jpeg

2. imagwai

imagwai Dec 10, 2020

It's actually in pretty good shape considering. Here is what I would do...

- Don't let anybody polish the case or replace parts that don't need it. You want to keep the original case finishing and nice sharp edges at all costs. Likewise, the bezel, dial and hands must be kept.
    - Get it cleaned and the movement serviced by a reputable watchmaker
    - Crystal can be polished or replaced without damaging the value
    - Put it on a nice 20mm strap. I'd seek out a Corfam rally strap (which these came on originally) or a nice black leather or tropic strap. You can probably pick up a Heuer clasp for it on eBay and a few other places, but this isn't essential.
    [​IMG]

3. imagwai

imagwai Dec 10, 2020

P.S. Here is my 1163V (earlier iteration), also known as the Viceroy after the Viceroy cigarettes promotion. I'm not sure the 11063V was ever part of the promotion, but you can no doubt look this up. On the Dash has a good page on the history of these Autavias.
    20201009_152135.jpg

4. imagwai

imagwai Dec 10, 2020

SteveP likes this.
  5. SteveP

SteveP Dec 10, 2020

Hi Sean, welcome and great find! Imagwai is spot on with all he says-including that, actually, it's not THAT beat up compared to some!
    Spot on that it is a 11063 and not included in the Viceroy cigarette promotion-this version came later. Often it comes on a bracelet but you can find a 'racing style' strap, as per the corfam above, which is favoured by many and period correct also. There are some good leather ones in that design which make it look really good. You can also buy a Heuer buckle but there are MANY fakes out there, they don't come cheap either. Many people wouldn't worry about the buckle but it's your call.

Agree again-a good clean, movement service and new crystal will work wonders. (These came with mineral crystals so cannot be polished like the earlier plexi crystals) I'm not convinced the pushers are original but tough to see from the photos. Justin does excellent work on the divers but I'm not sure tends to work on these type of movements.

Hope that helps set you in the right direction?
    Steve

Seanl2646 likes this.
  6. Seanl2646

Seanl2646 Dec 10, 2020

I really appreciate all of the help! What movement would this watch be?

7. imagwai

imagwai Dec 10, 2020

Should be a Calibre 12.

Also, I just noticed from On the Dash that the lug (strap) width is 21mm on your watch rather than 20mm.

Do check out that link I posted above. Plenty of useful information there. Such as the fact your watch dates to 1984.

SteveP likes this.
  8. Fabrizio

Fabrizio Dec 14, 2020

Hi Sean - it's in fact a cal. 12 - which can be pricey to service and not many watchmakers know how to.
    What others have said is correct: it's a 11063 VNT (Viceroy-style, Noir - i.e. black dial, Tachy bezel) from the early-mid '80s, much later than the Viceroy promotion but still considered part of the "Viceroy style" as all black dial / white subdials / red accents came to be known.
    Its lug size is 21mm which is really tricky, it's much harder to find nice straps in that size and nigh impossible metal bracelets that fit that case shape.
    All in all yours looks like a very decent specimen for its age - and pushers also look correct as they're fluted.
    Get it serviced - but do your homework on finding a watchmaker who can first - change the crystal and slap it on a racing strap. Then please post again here for us all to enjoy :)!
    Cheers,
    Fabrizio

Seanl2646 likes this.
  9. ar.parask13

ar.parask13 Dec 15, 2020

I too own an 11063v and they are amazing watches. Mine is the black grey version.
    Some responses to your questions.
    The 11063v takes a 21mm strap not a 20mm
    It has a mineral flat crystal rather than hesalite so easily replaceable
    The case should have mmm still retain some nice sunburst finishing so don’t have it polished because that will get lost

Seanl2646 likes this.
  10. Seanl2646

Seanl2646 Dec 29, 2020

With the band, there appears to be a consensus on 21 mm lug width, but my question what should this taper to? 21-18, 21-20?

Thanks!

11. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 29, 2020

Personal preference I'd say. 21-20 would be a wider, sportier band while 21-18 would narrow it quite a bit for a more elegant wear. I personally like the taper on these Autavias, makes them wear smaller somehow.

Seanl2646 likes this.
  12. SteveP

SteveP Dec 29, 2020

Originally it would have been 16mm as all Heuer buckles are 16mm, but it depends on what is comfortable for you.

Seanl2646 likes this.