Forums Latest Members
  1. bpsmith

bpsmith Dec 24, 2021

Ended up with an Omega Seamaster 300M Pro Diver instead of the TAG Heuer I was initially looking for. Love the Seamaster, but the itch hasn’t gone away on the Aquaracer.

I know there’s a thread for Calibre 5 issues, but just though I would start a fresh thread for peoples thoughts specifically on pro’s and con’s of Quartz vs Calibre 5 on the Aquaracer.

I am pretty much sold on getting a Quartz Aquaracer on rubber or NATO for Summer use with short sleeves, as it seems to fit my requirements, but there is one particular Calibre 5 model that I like, with the slatted dial and cool colour scheme. Torn on which to go for, hence my question.

Thoughts everyone?

EDIT: It’s the date at 3 o’clock version I am looking at, in case that makes any difference? What are the coloured aluminium bezels on the Quartz models like, over time?

Edited Dec 24, 2021
  2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Dec 24, 2021

Which cal. 5 are you longing for? To me it sounds like you should get the mechanical one. Sure it is "worse" but you buy a watch for the way it makes you feel. No logic, follow that heart of yours.

Good choice with aluminum biiizel, will age nicely.

bpsmith likes this.
  3. bpsmith

bpsmith Dec 24, 2021

Ceramic bezel on the Cal 5. Aluminium on the Quartz.

Hanging back on mentioning which ones as obscure and don’t want to miss out once I do decide.

I genuinely like both equally, for different reasons, so it really is a case of what’s best based on pro’s and con’s.

There’s not even a price difference to consider, as Cal 5 comes with a nice rubber strap. Quartz is on bracelet, so cost of buying the rubber strap closes the gap.

4. akong71

akong71 Dec 24, 2021

@bpsmith - which Omega did you end up getting? Is it the Seamaster Professional Diver with the "new" master co-axial movement?

Nothing wrong with a quartz! Less maintenance to worry about. In the end, go with what works best for you!!!

bpsmith likes this.
  5. bpsmith

bpsmith Dec 24, 2021

That’s the puppy, yes. Original post amended to clarify. Went for the black steel version, after flirting with the ceramic and ti model. Just loved the bracelet.

Hence wanting just a rubber strap for Summer short sleeve use.

Have toyed with just getting a rubber strap for the Seamaster, but don’t want the risk of scratching when swapping over.

Plus I really like the Aquaracer too.

6. bpsmith

bpsmith Dec 24, 2021

Both have sold now, so somewhat academic presently.

7. dtf

dtf Dec 31, 2021

This is my opinion based on 3 years with a calibre5 way211a on fabric deployment, 12+ years with a quartz at on steel bracelet, and a year with the quartz night diver

C5 pros:
    - mechanical movement romance
    - beautiful watch (a handful more detailing than the quartz), the 41mm is perfectly proportioned and really nicely detailed. The ceramic bezel is unmarked after three years of abuse and is really high gloss and is very striking. The black/silver with a splash of yellow just looks great.
    - sweeping second hand rather than quartz tick

Calibre 5 cons:
    - limited power reserve (expect to wind it if you don't wear it for a day)
    - fragile (mine failed at 9 months, TH fitted a new movement under warranty)
    - cheap movement (how is it not cosc..)
    - no anti-magnetic (so you could potentially mess up the accuracy with an ipad case or an airport metal detector)

Quartz pros
    - super accurate (way more accurate in a month then c5 in a day)
    - super tough and reliable (my steel AR has had a decade of abuse, opened beer bottles, been snowboarding, surfing, mountain biking, bashed off stuff, around the world a few times, through countless metal detectors and is still accurate enough that I've never botherd to check the accuracy
    - battery lasts about 5 years (mine has had two replacements, paid TH to do the first one, did the second one myself with a kit off amazon and a £2 battery)

[​IMG]

I strongly recommend the fabric deployment strap, it was super comfortable right out the box and is still really comfy 3 years later, by contrast the rubber strap on the quartz (old) night diver is a bit too stiff, so it kinda lifts the watch off your wrist and wobbles if it's not quite sized perfectly. I would definitely take the fabric over rubber given the choice.

I struggle to know wether to recommend the c5, overall I love the watch, it's probably my most worn watch, but dont trust the movement and I definitely can't recommend it at RRP. I think I paid £1400 for mine from montredo.

Be very careful if you consider buying one second hand, there are some very good fakes of this range.

8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 31, 2021

Which models were they?