Forums Latest Members

Aquaracer Orange vs Blue & White GMT - Your Thoughts

1. bpsmith

bpsmith Nov 15, 2022

I have tried both on and really liked each of them, even though they are quite different. Orange felt like it fitted nicer, even though both on bracelet and not sized of course. Might just be the small reduction in thickness without the GMT to consider.

The logic behind this purchase is to be the opposite to my only other luxury watch, the black Seamaster I got last year. That’s the watch which matches anything I wear, so the new one does not have to fit that criteria so much.

Orange is very extreme in comparison, but so is the GMT when on rubber strap. It looks too tame on bracelet. Nice but just not different enough for me.

Am interested in your thoughts and which you prefer…

2. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 15, 2022

If I'm 100% honest I'm not crazy about either of them. Sorry, that isn't very helpful is it. It depends... I personally think the GMT is the more extreme looking of the two, that white bezel might be something to think about. If you love it then great, if you are in two minds about it I would be wary, it could be something that grates after a while.

bpsmith likes this.
  3. bpsmith

bpsmith Nov 15, 2022

Interested in all opinions, even if it does shake things up a bit decision wise.

What I know is that I like both, but have no experience of how that feels longer term, as new to this game.

Such as your point about the White. It is possibly what initially drew me in, but agree that it could be a mistake longer term.

I am probably leaning a touch to the Orange presently anyway.

4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 15, 2022

I mean, no one can really tell you what you should buy (well they can, it's the Black Bay 58...) but the GMT doesn't strike me as a watch you buy if you only have two watches. Which is not to say you can't, it's just that it's quite a statement, I think the orange is probably more liveable with long term, but ultimately it's up to you.

Jim Dollares and bpsmith like this.
  5. Jemagloh

Jemagloh Nov 15, 2022

I have the orange one, and I find it a lot more versatile than I originally expected. I do wear a lot of blue shirts, so for me, it often pairs well. I don’t think of it as only a summer watch, either. I find myself wearing it just as much as we head toward autumn weather in my area.

Of course, YMMV. As other have noted in various threads, buy what makes you happy. Good luck with your decision!

3F12FA1D-C1F9-4BBB-AB6E-2B5BB71B4117.jpeg

6. VirgileF

VirgileF Nov 16, 2022

Hi,

I always find it quite difficult to understand this type of question because here we are talking about personal tastes, feelings once on the wrist, personal impressions, possibly needs (GMT function).

McBeardy and bpsmith like this.
  7. bpsmith

bpsmith Nov 16, 2022

I totally understand that. Perhaps I worded the question badly, but the responses so far have been very helpful.

I was trying to get opinions on the pitfalls of buying watches of this nature, that are somewhat out of the ordinary, when my collection is going to be deliberately small.

Just trying to avoid making a mistake, rather than necessarily asking people to tell me which one to buy.

Edit, I don’t really need the GMT function for my one trip abroad each year, I just like the look of it, much like most chronographs. :)

8. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Nov 16, 2022

Mr Smith, you and me be in a similar situation. My nicer watches are all relatively conservative in black, silver, dark blue. I feel I would love to add a premium fun summer kind of watch and for me the orange Aquaracer is high up on my list.

When I tried the gmt I just wished it had a pepsi colour scheme, even if it is done by many I find it to look nicer. This gmt they did now it feels like they chose these colours just for the sake of being different.

Weird thing about the orange is that the shade of orange looks like shit in most photos but in person it is just superb.

bpsmith likes this.
  9. dtf

dtf Nov 16, 2022

Buy the watches that speak to you when you try them on. If you don’t put it on the wrist and go ‘I need this’, buy something else. It makes sense to me to buy something out of the ordinary if your first watch is a do everything (my second watch was a 500m pvd chrono…because my first watch was a black dial steel AR on bracelet that’s suitable for any occasion).

I’m no fan of the new 300m Aquaracer, but of the two I’d definitely take the orange, the blue/white of the gmt did nothing for me when I saw one in an AD, whereas the orange seemed like the pick of the 300m AR. But if I was buying an orange watch, I’d buy the F1: https://www.montredo.com/watches/tag-heuer/formula-1/waz101a-fc8305/30905/

McBeardy and bpsmith like this.
  10. dtf

dtf Nov 16, 2022

Night diver. Or the orange F1

^^^this.

^^^and also this.

Jim Dollares and bpsmith like this.
  11. bpsmith

bpsmith Nov 16, 2022

Great further replies, thanks.

I toyed with the orange Formula 1 last year, when I nearly bought an Aquaracer instead of the Seamaster. My thoughts were, if only this was the shape of the Aquaracer.

I am still hankering after an Aquaracer and suddenly there’s the orange one I hoped for last year. I have already tried it on in the Boutique and local AD, in the Summer, and totally agree that the colour is a lot better than the pics.

I guess my heart is telling me the orange was always meant to be.

Jemagloh and dtf like this.
  12. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 16, 2022

I much prefer the orange F1 to the Aquaracer, the shade of orange is nicer and the black accents on the dial really work... but the strap is garbage and the rubber strap from the range is adequate but unremarkable. If the new rubber strap comes in black and it fits then I will probably upgrade to that.

For sure you are right to be cautious, as someone who has bought way too many watches I concur that buying out of the ordinary watches is a risky game. If it works (yellow Aquaracer Calibre S) then it's wonderful, if it doesn't... then infatuation can quickly turn to 'why did I buy this?'. There's a reason why high street stores generally stock 'boring' watches.

dtf and bpsmith like this.
  13. McBeardy

McBeardy Nov 16, 2022

As others have mentioned, it's all down to what your heart wants (& I now this even though I pose the same questions), guess you wan to know the pitfalls and pros of each choice.

From the 2 you have mentioned and the fact you have the Seamaster, I'd personally go for the Orange Aquaracer as i have soft spot for that colour (reminds me of my Orange Seiko Monster and being in Cuba), think they make a great summer style watch but also a great contracts against the conservative black dial. You can also tone it down i guess with different straps.

The colour of the GMT is great & whilst I think the complication is great, unless you use it, it's pointless (personally one holiday a year i just adjust my diver, and no need to worry about another timezone). However if you feel the need to use a GMT, go for it.

bpsmith and dtf like this.
  14. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Nov 16, 2022

I too had a Seiko orange monster and would have another orange dial, if you don’t need/want the gmt function that must point you one direction?

bpsmith and McBeardy like this.
  15. McBeardy

McBeardy Nov 16, 2022

16. McBeardy

McBeardy Nov 16, 2022

Great price for that F1

bpsmith likes this.
  17. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Nov 16, 2022

Are you and Martin doing vacation in the same place? ;)

18. McBeardy

McBeardy Nov 16, 2022

Ha I wish I was back there, picture is roughly 8/9yrs old, pre kids, and for my partners 30th (wish I also knew how much I liked spice rum then)

bpsmith and Jim Dollares like this.
  19. abrod520

abrod520 Nov 16, 2022

They do make a very nice pair :D

41844B3A-34FA-49BE-A01E-B34C3575160E.jpeg

20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 16, 2022

Insane price. If you trust them.

Pitfitter446 and bpsmith like this.