Forums Latest Members
  1. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 28, 2018

Google announced a new developer preview for Wear OS, that corresponds to "Android P".

For now, this preview is only available to the Huawei Watch 2 and Huawei Watch 2 Classic.

In this Android P Wear OS preview, the update is supposed to introduce “Android P platform features to wearables.” Here are a few of the details that Google provided:
    • Dark UI system theme: This actually showed up in a recent update, but it becomes the default in Android P. Google hopes this should “improve the glanceability for wear apps.”
    • Limited background activity: Apps no longer run in the background unless your watch is on a charger. The only exception is watch faces and complications that are currently selected. Google says that Wear OS is going “further with Android’s app standby feature than some other form factors.” I guess we’ll see how that plays with your app-loaded watches.
    • Turning off radios when off body: When you take your watch off, Wear OS will now try to turn off Bluetooth, WiFi, and cellular radios to improve power consumption and extend battery life.
    • WiFi off when Bluetooth is disconnected: When disconnected from Bluetooth, your watch will no longer automatically switch and connect to WiFi. Like the previous bullet, this is for power consumption improvement.

Wear OS Preview 1: Release Notes

Via Android Developers & DroidLife

2. kwilcox

kwilcox Mar 29, 2018

Interesting stuff in the Release Notes. As a past Android developer who has built a custom ROM (Galaxy Nexus) I was quite surprised to learn that our watches may have unlockable bootloaders! The developer release is flashed to the watch so it includes a new bootloader, kernel, and UI. Looks like I'll be loading up my dev environment again which is sitting on a linux VM somewhere.

For those of you who are interested in side loading apps, it appears that the default way to use adb works fine if you connect the watch to your computer using the USB cable on the charging puck. No need to enable WiFi.

edit: forgot to note that you need to install the adb USB driver to use it this way. Here's a good thread over at XDA Developers for an installer that does pretty much everything for you:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Edited Apr 1, 2018
    Hubert likes this.
  3. ZeuGantic

ZeuGantic Mar 30, 2018

Somehow i just got this update on my Modular 45.

4. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 30, 2018

Edit: Not this one, you are probably thinking about the Wear OS update that others have reported. I am not wearing it today, so I cannot post my own impressions yet.

Edited Mar 30, 2018
  5. kwilcox

kwilcox Mar 30, 2018

Doesn’t seem plausable. According to the release notes, this update needs to be installed using adb after first unlocking the boortloader

6. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 30, 2018

You are absolutely correct. When I wrote my comment, I thought they were talking about the Wear OS update. I have amended my post above to reflect this. Thanks!

7. ZeuGantic

ZeuGantic Mar 30, 2018

It is this one. Look at the version. It says wear OS 1.0
    Also has all the updates mentioned. Background is dark.
    If I take it off my hand after 5 minutes goes into airplane mode Disconnects from everything including Bluetooth
    No idea how I got it

DSC_0098.JPG
  8. kwilcox

kwilcox Mar 30, 2018

same android OS version for both watches?

9. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 31, 2018

I just upgraded my watch. I have the same version as you. This is not "Android P preview". This is just the Wear OS update that everyone else is getting. If you don't believe me, notice that the Android OS is still 8.0.0 at the bottom of the versions.
    upload_2018-3-31_1-20-57.png

10. ZeuGantic

ZeuGantic Mar 31, 2018

Yea, you are 100% correct. i guess it was just an update to the current version.

11. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 31, 2018

Yes. :)

12. TjPhysicist

TjPhysicist Jun 13, 2018

Am I reading this correct? What would be the point of Wifi then? Like usually, I use wifi if i walk away from my phone - watch switches to and uses wifi...but now that's not a thing anymore? So when WILL wifi be used? (as it is, wifi wasn't used too often, even when downloading massive updates it'd switch to bluetooth UNLESS BT was turned off/disconnected).

Also, I'm a bit wary of the "turn off all radio's when off the wrist" thing, not that I need the watch to get notifications when it's NOT on me, but I don't trust it to turn on fast enough when I put it back on AND recieve all the pending notifications. I feel like this will end with a situation where ALL notifications PRIOR to me putting the watch back on will not show up and there'll be a slight delay while the radios turn on and connect to the phone (IME the bluetooth is ok once it's connected, a lot of time's i have issues WHEN it's just turned on and connecting for the first time).

I swear, I'm one of those people who always excitedly downloads updates but for wearOS/android wear it's starting to become like windows - I DREAD the "you have an update" notification, and it's unskippable too, it'll just STAY THERE until you click download.

13. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jun 13, 2018

Google is still making lots of changes. Just this week they announced they've had to reverse some of the battery optimization changes they had made, as they were causing negative effects on some of the alarm notifications.

I'd say don't worry about it, unless you are a developer, or become affected first hand.

kavasc likes this.
  14. TGHC45

TGHC45 Aug 29, 2018

15. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 29, 2018

I was about to post this too. Let's see how the update goes. Merging to existing thread.

TGHC45 likes this.
  16. Feanor

Feanor Aug 29, 2018

Let's hope that Connected 45 and 41 will get the update. I also hope that TAG will introduce a new watch (or even better a new module compatible to the current modular system), because from a hardware point of view the Connected get a bit long in the tooth; health and fitness features are getting more and more prominent and it's time TAG includes a heart rate monitor, exactly like Fossil group, who are releasing currently updates to their watches with heart rate monitors, even for their non-sporty watches.

17. TGHC45

TGHC45 Aug 29, 2018

I would rather have more watch faces than a heart rate monitor ..

18. Hubert

I'd rather prefer a built-in speaker and LTE for calls than a heart rate monitor.

BMW Works and ali23g like this.
  19. Hubert

Here's the link to Google's official post:
    https://blog.google/products/wear-os/wear-os-google-health-and-help-are-just-swipe-away/
    =======================================
    Wear OS by Google: Health and help are just a swipe away
    By: Dennis Troper Director of Product Management, Wear OS by Google
    Published: Aug 29, 2018
    [​IMG]
    As you go about your busy day, every minute matters. We’re evolving the design of Wear OS by Google to help you get the most out of your time—providing quicker access to your information and notifications, more proactive help from the Google Assistant, and smarter health coaching—all with a swipe of your finger.

[​IMG]
    Easier access to notifications and more
    We’re making it easier to browse, dismiss or take action on your notifications with the new notification stream. Simply swipe up to see all your notifications at once. See an important message? Just tap to select a built-in smart reply without even leaving your stream. Swipe down on your watch to get quicker access to handy features and shortcuts like Google Pay or ‘Find my phone’.

[​IMG]
    More proactive help from your Google Assistant
    With the new design, you can now receive proactive and personalized help from your Google Assistant. Let’s say you’re headed to the airport—swipe right on your watch to see your flight status or hotel reservation. Tap on smart suggestions like the weather at your destination or find a restaurant near your hotel. When you’re getting ready for the day, your Google Assistant will help you stay ahead by reminding you to bring an umbrella, showing you your day’s meetings, or warning you if there is a delay on your commute. The Google Assistant will also suggest features you may not have tried yet and will become more helpful over time as it gets to know you and as we add new features.

[​IMG]
    Smarter health coaching
    Last week, we announced that Google Fit is making it easier to be healthy with two new activity goals: Heart Points and Move Minutes. We worked with the American Heart Association and the World Health Organization to design these goals based on their physical activity recommendations which are shown to have health benefits for your heart and mind. Now, you can simply swipe left to start a workout or see how you are tracking toward your goals.

[​IMG]
    We’ll begin rolling out these new features over the next month, so look out for updates on your Wear OS by Google smartwatch. Some features may vary by phone OS, watch or country.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  20. TGHC45

TGHC45 Aug 30, 2018

Before I bought my THC45 I looked at many smart watches and didn't find anything beautiful as Tag Heuer .. I was going to buy Mont blanc Summit which have heart monitor and cheaper than THC45 but I always was taken back to TH .. I am glad I bought Tag!

ddaenen1, Remo and Albert-AMG like this.