Forums Latest Members

All-black 1000 series quartz diver 980 026B

1. Edward50

Edward50 Jul 9, 2021

I have had this since 1991, bought new in a sale for two hundred and something pounds, and have worn it daily. Much of the black plating has worn away, the lume has failed, the bezel is stuck and the crystal is badly scratched. Hoping to have it renovated, I sent it to TAG's service department a year or two ago and they returned it saying they couldn't offer any help. Being now of an age (me, not the watch) where looking scruffy can lead others to form a prejudicial impression, I feel I have to replace the watch if I can't get it smartened up. Does anybody know of anywhere that would take this on? Please do say if the cost is likely to be disproportionate to the value of the watch, as I suspect may be likely. As they say, it really doesn't owe me anything. One further thought, though: does it have any value at all in its current state, and if so where would you advise offering it for sale? I am new on here, so allow me to apologise if this post breaches any rules, guidance or simple good manners as normally observed.

2. SteveP

SteveP Jul 10, 2021

Hi Edward, appreciate the post. The bezel, crystal and lume (likely) can be a relatively easy fix. The PVD (black coating) is more problematic as there are very few companies that will re-do it. I assume you are looking at the watch case AND bracelet?

There is one guy I know in the UK that would do a Cerakote coating, that would really smarten it up. It won't be 100% true to the original coating but sounds like it would fit the bill for you. If interested I'll dig his details out.

Value-wise, I guess these would set you back a few £100s in all. The watch in that condition could be worth anything from £400-750 to the right buyer. I'd say you could get your money back on it but don't expect to see this as an investment as you could be disappointed!
    Best, Steve

ps photos would help me/us to give more direction, if possible....

Edward50 likes this.
  3. imagwai

imagwai Jul 10, 2021

As Steve says, it can be restored, but it might not all be able to be done by the same person and it likely won't be cheap.

Personally speaking, if I were you, I would treat myself to a nice new watch. Or if you can't stretch to that, maybe a used one in good condition? If you really want to sell the old one, someone will probably buy it if you put it on as an eBay auction. It won't get much but you may get a few quid back.

Edward50 likes this.
  4. dtf

dtf Jul 10, 2021

5. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jul 11, 2021

Doubt that Tyler can/want to fix the black coating though. Movement, gaskets, crystal, crown and similar sure, but probably not the coating.

Edward50 likes this.
  6. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jul 11, 2021

@Edward50 like Steve mentioned, we would love to see some photos of the watch

7. dtf

dtf Jul 11, 2021

I’m sure someone on here was talking about refinishing with a coating that looks fairly similar to the original. Maybe it was the other 1000 expert on here

8. Edward50

Edward50 Jul 12, 2021

Many thanks for all the replies so far. I'll say more later from my pc, but here from my phone are a couple of photos; apologies for the indifferent quality, but I hope they give a worthwhile impression of the watch's condition. IMG_20210712_141131457.jpg IMG_20210712_141439040.jpg

SteveP and Jim Dollares like this.
  9. imagwai

imagwai Jul 12, 2021

That bracelet has quite a lot of stretch. Another thing to add to the list of works potentially. The thing is, it's a really nice watch - love the dial with tritium markers. I have to say, however, that the cost of a full refurbishment is probably going to be disproprotionate to the value. If you love the watch and plan to keep it for another 20 years, then it's possibly worth restoring, though.

10. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jul 12, 2021

I actually think it looks bad ass and would not want to redo the coating

dtf likes this.
  11. Edward50

Edward50 Jul 13, 2021

I am most grateful to you all for your generous attention to my request; I have given you all a like. Between you, you have offered practical advice about the restoration, thoughts about the expense involved, appraisal of the watch's current technical and aesthetic condition, and comments about the options open to me. To answer SteveP's direct question: yes, I was including the bracelet in my thoughts about restoration.

I was never thinking of making any money out of having the watch restored: it was purely with a view to continue wearing it. Aside from the hassle of battery changes, it meets my needs entirely and its design and size please me more than anything I can find (new or used). However, even leaving aside the stretched bracelet - which I can't say I had noticed; it's even in appearance and functions perfectly well - I am not surprised to have it confirmed that the costs (not to mention the palaver) involved in restoration are out of proportion to the benefits.

I am cheered by Jim Dollares's comment that the watch's currently distressed appearance is attractive in its own way. I was already thinking that I would do as imagwai perceptively suggests and buy a nice new watch (of a different make, if I'm allowed to say that on here), while keeping this one for high-stress activities such as gardening and DIY.

Many thanks again for all the comments, information and ideas.

Edited Jul 13, 2021
    SteveP, Jim Dollares and imagwai like this.
  12. RockBurner

RockBurner Jul 19, 2021

I'd do the same.

Keep the old faithful in it's current glorious state (just keep it going), and if you need something 'smart', then buy something smart. That will probably be a lot cheaper and easier than chasing down repairs and renovation work.

If you really really like the feel of the 1000 (and I'd understand, I've worn a 1000 (the larger version) for most of my life), then see if you can find a reasonably priced 1000 elsewhere, some of them are pretty smart (shiny steel or part gold) and will feel similar to the watch you currently have. Depends on your budget obviously.

Edward50 likes this.