Forums Latest Members
  1. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Aug 29, 2016

Hi fellow TAG enthusiasts,

I have a sad story to tell about my TAG 1000 professional. It was handed over to TAG Manchester (UK) a couple of months ago for a service and I have just been informed that the watch is "lost" and have been offered compensation and a smattering of apologies. The watch was given to me by my parents for my 21st and has been on my wrist for over 30 years now.

[​IMG]

This is the model I had and, basically, I'm just looking for some advice on potential value so that I can decide whether the offer of compensation is in the correct area. As the watch was 30+ years old and was worn pretty much on a daily basis it wasn't in the same condition as the posted image. The crown was worn down to base metal as was the underside of the watch and the bracelet was pretty worn on the inside. other than that the watch is in good nick for it's age. There's also huge sentimental "value" attached to the watch although this won't necessarily be factored in to compensation. I have been led to believe, by the TAG shop staff on previous visits, that the all black model is quite rare and that not too many were made like this.

At the end of the day, it's gone and there's nothing I can do about that. I just need to feel that the value offered is "realistic". It can never be replaced. Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thankyou

Calibre11 likes this.
  2. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Aug 29, 2016

Sad Story!

automobilia42 likes this.
  3. automobilia42

automobilia42 Aug 29, 2016

It is. So what's the offer of compensation?

4. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 29, 2016

I had this happen on an F1 I put in to an AD, the girl accidentally gave me both of the tags instead of just the customer one so it was filed under "John Doe" and after going through the whole lot of returned watches I pointed out my F1 at which point the kid behind the counter went "But this one says it belongs to Mr. Doe" got it back after explaining what the name meant.

SteveP and automobilia42 like this.
  5. akong71

akong71 Aug 29, 2016

@Sleeper Service - this is a sad story indeed! The sentimental value of the watch is probably the most "valuable" aspect, yet not factored into the replacement cost. It's a cool watch too - one that you don't see very often (in fact, I've yet to see one in person). Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

6. automobilia42

Makes you wonder how many watches belong to a Mr. John Doe in that shop, haha. :D

7. Sleeper Service

Well, I didn't want to quote how much the offer is as it may bias an honest opinion of what the watch is worth. I know how much they think it's worth, I'd like an opinion from people who seem to be in the know to see if the offer from TAG is realistic or not. I'm heading to the shop tomorrow, I work weekends and it's a bank holiday for us so tomorrow is the earliest opportunity. I just want to see what effort they have made to track down the watch, pick up some pictures that they took before it was sent to Switzerland and see the trail ( as well as negotiate a realistic settlement).

I'm not going in there all guns blazing and demanding a replacement watch worth 4 or 5 thousand, I know mine isn't worth that. I do feel let down by them though and in my cynical old age I don't trust them to give a realistic evaluation for compensation.

8. automobilia42

Sounds very fair to me from your end, if you can upload the pictures they have made before the shipment I will give you my quote as to what I see it is worth currently, which depends on the condition of the watch.
    Basically, you will need to be compensated the amount that it will take to buy yourself an exact replacement, or as close as it will get, condition wise.
    You don't have to gain on it, although the sentimental value is very hard to compensate of course, but certainly don't have to loose on it either.
    Succes tomorrow!
    Here is my 980.026:
    980026.png

9. Sleeper Service

It certainly wasn't in as good a condition as yours. Like I said, the crown and underside of the main body were quite worn - down to base metal - There was a scratch across the bezel and the luminous paint was missing from the TDC triangle. It was the only piece of jewellery that I wore.

I've got no intention of trying to gain on it, yep, I'm not a happy bunny but that's more to do with the sentimental value to me of the watch and I'm probably still stinging from the fact that it's not coming back. If it's any good the quoted compensation is between £1,000 and £1,400. Again, my cynical nature has taken over and I currently think that this would have been approx. £300 more but TAG Mcr will probably owe TAG in Switzerland that amount for the service costs. As far as I've been told so far the watch was in a batch sent back from Switzerland but was missing when the package got back to Mcr. We'll just see what they come up with tomorrow. I'm more bothered about getting the serial number - yeah, I should have that but that's just me, don't keep particularly good records of stuff - then I can check out anything that appears on the auction scene.

Que Sera Sera :)

10. automobilia42

Ok, thanks for the extra info, based on your description of the watch that quoted compensation is pretty much spot on, so they are realistic and serious about the value and don't want to pull your leg.
    Don't bother looking for the serial number, there isn't one on any of these 1000's, only the model number :)

Sleeper Service likes this.
  11. Sleeper Service

@automobilia42 Cheers for the feedback. It's put my mind at ease before I visit them tomorrow. Like I said, I do have a very cynical nature, coupled with a healthy dose of old(ish) age and I'm pretty upset about the whole episode but it's hard to stop the emotion clouding your view.

I appreciate the help and advice you've given, Cheers squire :thumbsup:

12. automobilia42

You're welcome! :thumbsup:

Calibre11 and Sleeper Service like this.
  13. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Aug 30, 2016

Well, had a good meeting at the TAG Boutique today. I'm still not 100% happy with their explanation, watch arrived back in the UK and was being delivered to TAG by DPD. It never made it and discussions are still ongoing with DPD. The assistant manager spent a day walking round all the jewellers shops in Mcr to see if it was at any of them, DPD have to do a full scale check on all deliveries made that day from the van that had my watch aboard. Apparently it was signed for but not by any of the TAG staff and at a time when the shop was not open. It's very strange indeed.

The upshot is that I now have a Carrera Heuer 01 discounted by £1200 and with a zero percent interest deal for the balance (which has been discounted further and may be discounted even further depending on the outcome of further investigation into the courier). This deal stands if my watch turns up and is returned to me. The Heuer 01 might not be everybody's cup of tea but I really do like it and I'm feeling much more the happy bunny that I used to be :)

Thanks all, specially @automobilia42 who confirmed that the valuation was somewhere close to the mark.

akong71, automobilia42 and Calibre11 like this.
  14. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Aug 30, 2016

Pictures!!!!!! Glad to hear you got a result that you're happy with.

Sleeper Service likes this.
  15. dtf

dtf Aug 30, 2016

I'm glad you are happy with it, the Heuer-01 is a very special watch. I tried one on, didn't like it at all. Then tried one on a couple of days later and saw it in a full length mirror in natural light, looks fantastic! Amazing the difference in situation and lighting makes, I really want one now.

If this sort of situation happened to me, I would expect whatever the modern equivalent to my watch is, for free, as a goodwill gesture. Shame to loose your black 1000, it's a nice design (Today I was wearing a full black aquaracer, so I can relate).

Sleeper Service and Calibre11 like this.
  16. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Aug 31, 2016

I'll post some pics when the watch arrives, the deal has to be ratified by head office (won't be a problem) and the manager is away for a couple of days. I was a little cheeky and suggested that he might like to include a pair of Senna Heuer sunglasses (I'm a bit of a sunglasses collector - particularly vintage ray ban Olympians) and they did say that there would be a "goodies" bag :D

@dtf I had a couple of watches in mind, the 01 and the Senna Calibre 16 in black (I also have a thing for black). I tried both on yesterday and was just blown away by the 01. I'm a huge Senna fan, he was the guy to watch when I first got in to F1, and I have a picture somewhere taken at a motor show in Mcr of me wearing the 1000 pro above the nose cone of one of his MP4/4's by the TAG sponsorship logo. If I can find it I'll post it.

Edited Aug 31, 2016
    akong71, Big Adam, Calibre11 and 2 others like this.
  17. automobilia42

automobilia42 Aug 31, 2016

Excellent to hear all worked out fine for you in the end and congrats with the deal on the new watch!
    And it must be said thumbs up for TAG Heuer Manchester's customer service :thumbsup:

Calibre11 and Sleeper Service like this.
  18. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Sep 2, 2016

Got the pictures of the old girl from TAG today...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She was a bit battered and bruised but not bad for 30+ years of constant wear and 3 days in a starch slurry tank :(

Should be picking up the 01 next week some time :)

dtf and automobilia42 like this.
  19. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Sep 2, 2016

Fantastic history, this gives your watch a storied patina! Please be sure to share pictures of the new addition! :thumbsup:

20. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Sep 8, 2016

Just had word that the 01 should be here by Tuesday next week (13th... oh dear :oops: ) I'll post some images then.