Advice needed on eBay sale

Elevenists,

I recently sold a new in box Carrera Calibre 16 day-date ref.CV2A11.BA0796, which I had purchased at the local distributor but then decided to resell it, albeit at a lower price (best offer closed at 2,450$ from a buyer in the US).

Shipped the item and I was surprised last night I had a request for a return claiming it was checked by an AD for authenticity, the later claiming it was not original.

Of course these allegations are totally false, and I am wondering if the buyer changed his mind for not liking the watch or in worst case scenario one the horror stories where movements are replaced.

Any idea how to deal with this? I am not sure how eBay's judgement will turn out and if they have enough knowledge to validate the authenticity of the watch.

Here are the exact photos of the listing.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,

cv2A11-1.jpg cv2A11-9.jpg cv2A11-10.jpg cv2A11-12.jpg

You could ask for the evidence, but in cases like these I fear eBay will side with the buyer. I think the best thing to do would be to strongly refute what the buyer is saying about authenticity but offer a refund anyway on safe return of the item. When the watch arrives, take photos or video the unboxing...just in case they send you a brick.

Thing is, seller has a 100% positive rating, and I am wondering if it was genuinely checked by an AD - who should not claim it as a fake.

ADs can get it wrong for sure. Maybe phone eBay first for advice?

I negated his his claim first. Awaiting his reply and if he will escalate it to ebay support.

The likelihood is that the AD element is BS and this is a kid with a fake looking to switch out when he 'returns' the watch and ebay actions the refund. Exchanging the movement is of course possible but much rarer I'd have said.

Best approach is to contact the buyer via the formal ebay system and advise him that you are totally happy to offer a refund on receipt of the original item (returned at his expense). However, please note that you have formal records of the watch's serial numbers and, should the numbers not match your records, you shall be notifying ebay and forwarding his address details to his local police authority.
Hopefully this will be enough to scare him offf.

I negated his his claim first. Awaiting his reply and if he will escalate it to ebay support.
If that fails, then you'll have no choice, but to use the power of the Dark Side on the buyer! :unsure:

I reported the buyer as abusing the protection program, after I found this on his profile:

Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 23.14.23 .png

I will obviously be victim of a scam and will surely not receive my original watch.

Wow, you're right to be worried. Worth a follow-up call to eBay I reckon - they will surely investigate. Possibly also needs reporting to the police.

Sorry to hear this...doesn't sound good, but hopefully eBay will do the right thing.

Woah. That stinks...!! I hope everything works out for you mate!
The last time I had an issue with a sale on eBay (buyer claimed there were scratches & cracks on the item, when there wasn't any, and demanded a refund), they sided with me even though it was my very first sale through them. This made me think that they have a seller-side bias... hopefully the same goes for your case too. Plus you have these red flags to show now.
There are some truly shady people out there on the watch market -- someone I know just got cheated from a WTB post too, thinking that he got a good deal for a Rolex GMT ($5800!). Stay vigilant, friends!

It's up to eBay customer support now. I hope they make the right call.

Sorry for that, hope it will end in a positive way! I had never thought these things could happen, thanks for sharing.
What was written in your auction about return policy? Do you have any proof of purchase? Did you write down the serial number?
Please post or pm me the name of the buyer, and I will at least report any fake watch he will try to sell.

Update: the funds are now available in my Paypal and no longer held.
eBay case however says "hold on, we're still reviewing your case".
Previously Paypal said funds will remain frozen while case is still open.

Does this mean I still have to accept a return?

Update: the funds are now available in my Paypal and no longer held.
eBay case however says "hold on, we're still reviewing your case".
Previously Paypal said funds will remain frozen while case is still open.

Does this mean I still have to accept a return?
Not sure- have you tried calling? Sounds like progress...fingers crossed.

It sounds like ebay are coming down in your favour and have advised the 'buyer' of this. The final step is for him to agree to close the case, hence the hold-on message.

Problem with calling is time zone gap - and getting ping-ponged between the UK which seems in charge of the region and the US.

I hope the seller doesn't riposte with an irrational response.

This just came in:
"We have asked your buyer to get the item to be examined by the manufacturer of the brand name or from a credible third party. This information must clearly describe how the item your buyer received differs from an authentic item and how the person evaluating the item determined that it isn't authentic."

How can ebay determine that third party is knowledgeable, and, if the right watch was taken to him / her?

More to the point, how does eBay determine what is presented to the dealer is the watch you sold??