Forums Latest Members

Advice?--80's Tag Heuer Titanium Quartz chrono

1. Matty101

Matty101 Nov 30, 2015

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum--My dad just passed onto me an old Tag of his, a titanium quartz from the late 80's. It looks great (honestly i love it, quartz be damned) and needs a battery. I wanted to know what i should do in order to take care of it? Take it somewhere and have it checked mechanically? Ive never owned a vintage watch before and i want to make this a daily wearer but i'm concerned it might not be tough enough or there might not be any parts for it and don't want to ruin it with daily wear (my ideal would be to wear it everyday, take it underwater, and not break the thing)--this being an heirloom of my dad's just holds significance to me. I want it in good enough shape so I can take it swimming with no fear. You think tag can do an overhaul on it?... Should i do that?! Honestly just not sure where to start. Any advice would be appreciated. image.jpg

2. Matty101

Matty101 Nov 30, 2015

Update: Tag just informed me they cannot do an overhaul on the piece. So do I just put a battery on the thing and let it run? Is there anything i can do?

3. imagwai

imagwai Nov 30, 2015

I would probably just suggest a battery change and a good clean-up. Quartz movements tend not to be that serviceable (they usually just replace the entire movement if it goes wrong).

4. Matty101

Matty101 Nov 30, 2015

You think I can still take it underwater and swim or should I avoid that?

automobilia42 likes this.
  5. dtf

dtf Nov 30, 2015

I would not take it swimming without pressure testing it. Most jewellers should be able to do that.

Nice watch :)

automobilia42 and Calibre11 like this.
  6. Rutger69

Rutger69 Nov 30, 2015

Ask your juweler to check your tag, he can replace any rubber rings also the battery and even the glass.
    Like the watch!!!⌚️⌚️

I've had mine serviced too, it had a leaky glass.
    You may even get a sapphire glass instead of a mineral. image.jpeg

7. tyrantlizardrex

tyrantlizardrex Nov 30, 2015

Hey Matty, where are you based?

I use STS in the UK for my vintage Omega's, and they have a sub-division called SwissTec that take care of a lot of other brands (including TAG).

8. Matty101

Matty101 Nov 30, 2015

All--thank you for the advice!

Rutger--Nice watch!

Tyrant--I'm in North Carolina in the USA!

9. automobilia42

automobilia42 Dec 1, 2015

Don't wash/ shower/ swim with it unless the watch has been pressure tested with a vacuum machine, not a water tester unless the movement is out, chanches are very high the rubber seals of the chrono pushers, caseback and crown are totally deterioriated due to age, and as Rutger had, the crystal gasket got brittle/ cracked.

10. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 1, 2015

Agree with this. It's a personal choice- I would never swim with any watch (OK, maybe a G-shock..) because unless the watch has been tested in the last 12 months, you never know what condition that seal is in. TAG Heuer gives a guarantee on watches that it services for 1 year on water resistance. The website also says:

"As a general rule, all TAG Heuer watches require an annual check of their water-resistance."

That says to me that you're taking a risk with any watch once you get outside that 12 month zone. OK, this will likely be conservative, but why take the risk?

11. dtf

dtf Dec 1, 2015

Sensible advice there DC, although as a measure of how conservative that is, I've surfed with a 6yo aquaracer with no issues.

However now I'm slightly more aware of the issues, I'll be getting pressure tested annually.

12. automobilia42

Haha, a bit conservative, but good advice, don't risk it if you don't know the condition of the seals.
    I do swim with my watches, only divers models though with at least 200 meter WR, but only after I have serviced and tested them myself, plus I have the following rules of thumb after enough experience with water inside watch cases:

-Only swim/ dive with a watch with a screw-in crown, period.
    -No swimming/ diving, even showering with chronographs or any watch with push in buttons, push in crowns like the Multifunction F1 Chronotimer, Carrera Calibre S etc.
    Trust me, 4 expensive dead ones and counting...I wouldn't risk it.

dtf and Calibre11 like this.
  13. dtf

dtf Dec 1, 2015

Interesting comment on the chrono, I take it the buttons aren't intended for pressing underwater?

Quartz aquaracer watch just seems like the best tool watch available!

14. automobilia42

That would be one thing I can think of, pressing or pushing it in under water, may be without even noticing it by the person that is wearing it.
    Also, if you see the little o-rings that are installed inside the pushers... I have seen lots of them that were completely out of shape, dry and brittle and had some white residue on them like chalk.
    Sometimes they were not even there anymore.
    Also, I noticed on for instance the Link versions that the pins did find a way to loosen themselves, which doesn't help protecting it from water either, and could end up in even loosing the pusher-cap.

The Aquaracer is a great tool watch, I use a 500M as a tool watch myself!
    If you see the thickness of the rubber caseback-plate gasket, at least double the thickness of a normal one, also with the 300M by the way.
    I haven't opened my 500M Ceramic yet though, but I expect to see the same thick gasket.

dtf likes this.
  15. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 1, 2015

Yes, you certainly shouldn't use the chronograph (or push the buttons) underwater. Probably the only exception from TAG Heuer is the Aquagraph- see "Water Resistance" below
    [​IMG]

automobilia42 and dtf like this.
  16. automobilia42

automobilia42 Dec 2, 2015

Some horror pictures I made from watches inside after someone jumped into the water with a multifunctional crown watch (Pull/ Push/ Turn but not screw-in):
    P1230367.JPG P1230468.JPG

Calibre11 likes this.
  17. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 4, 2015

Ouch

18. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 5, 2015

:eek: