Forums Latest Members
  1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Aug 20, 2015

I've been thinking for a while about two TAG Heuer re-editions and way that they're viewed by collectors

1. 1997 Heuer Carrera Re-edition
    [​IMG]
    Price (1997): GBP 1,495
    Price Today: Approx. GBP 1,300 (~87% of original)

2. 2004 TAG Heuer Autavia
    [​IMG]

Price (2003): GBP 2,400
    Price Today: Approx. GBP 1,900 (~80% of original price)

Basically, the two watches are worth now about the same percentage of their original value..but they've got there different ways.

At Launch the Carrera was seen as a master-stroke. It was a perfect replica of the original Carrera and was so popular that it spawned the release of the Carrera as a mainstream model. The purists loved it.

The Autavia was very different- it had a TAG Heuer logo and was a modern interpretation of the Autavia rather than a perfect copy- it was not well received at launch and phased out after only a couple of years. The purists were not impressed.

And yet, I'd argue that today the Autavia is the more sought of the two and has better prospects for the future, and I think that is because it is not a straight copy of the past but instead has its own individual identity.

dtf likes this.
  2. albertoct

albertoct Aug 20, 2015

In my opinion, every re-edition should be a redesign, and not just a clone. Think if FIAT issued a re-edition of their 500 model as an exact copy of the original model: it would be small, noisy, unconfortable.
    A re-edition watch should have a vintage design, but use better materials (sapphire glass, high quality steel, better printed dial, automatic movement), and have a shape and size more suitable for these days. For sure this is more risky, you don't know if people will like it or if maybe they will start to appreciate it after a while.
    I think that the CS311* was a great seller because most of the people love this kind of chronograph, in the vintage market the most valuable pieces are bicompax or tricompax mechanical chronos, of any brand. For example, vintage russian watches are extremely inexpensive, but for a strela chrono with calibre 3017 you will not pay less than 800 dollars.

Calibre11 likes this.
  3. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Aug 20, 2015

In my eyes the 2004 Autavia was a very beautiful watch. But the case was much to large. My arms simply didn't fit to it.
    Hopefully TAGHeuer could offer an Autavia for "office workers"....

4. imagwai

imagwai Aug 20, 2015

Well part of the appeal for me of my CS3111 is its similarity to the original. I was also delighted by the price. I think used prices can be driven by a combination of factors, including mainstream appeal, not just appeal to collectors. The Carrera is possibly cheaper right now because it's a very small watch in comparison to what most people expect from a major watch purchase these days.

5. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2015

This is very true, but having said that if BMW re-released the E30 M3 it'd be a difficult thing to say no to :)

dtf, albertoct and gophishin like this.
  6. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 20, 2015

Although exact replicas of the old are purist-delights; my collection is has several modern reinterpretations and Vintage Themed Monacos & Carreras. I would love to see another moden Siffert Autavia, but with the Heuer logo.

That said, if another re-edition of "exact replicas" would be made by TH, I would certainly be on the market for them. To me the key is to have parts and service available from the manufacturer.

7. gophishin

gophishin Aug 20, 2015

Interesting discussion, and these always have me torn or conflicted because in a lot of ways the re-edition makes sense. A first execution 2447 is at the top of my hunting list, and my personal grail, and I think the CS3111 does a great job of reincarnating it, BUT knowing that originals are out there, I don't think I could buy one. I would say the same would go for any watch, provided the original version was not astronomically priced today. Slightly off topic, but I will say the Omega Seamaster 300 master co-axial does a pretty damn good job of it though.

8. sjbr101

sjbr101 Aug 21, 2015

The Autavia was a fantastic re-edition, I am asked almost constantly if I can source one for keen customers. However one re-edition that should be avoided IMO is the Monaco CW2111, this early 00's attempt at a re-editon of the Monaco is one of the most returned pieces (After any calibre S) in store. The polycarbonate screen marked with the slightest touch, the pushers fell off and the case was as waterproof as toast ! Thankfully this was sorted out when the change to CAW reference came about.

9. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Aug 21, 2015

Which brings me to another "problem" TAG Heuer had with re-editions- they listened too much to vintage collectors.

In 2009 the CEO asked collectors which watch they wanted to see as a re-edition and the answer was the Silverstone. How many of those vintage lovers bought a Silverstone re-edition? I'd bet less than a dozen. The Silverstone was sadly a sales flop. If you make a re-edition watch for vintage collectors you are making a big mistake, because no matter how good the movement or the case is, it will never been seen as being better than the original.

I read this comment all the time about the Monaco and Carrera and it's a totally legitimate view/ opinion- which is why TAG Heuer shouldn't worry too much about this market when they launch a new watch. The re-editions are made for a different market than vintage, perhaps the buyer who likes the look of vintage but couldn't be bothered hunting down an original. Again, one type of buyer isn't better than the other, they're just different.

gophishin likes this.
  10. Calibre11

Surprised to hear this. I had the CS2110 (basically the same watch) and wore it daily for almost 3 years without an issue.

Agree about the plexiglass though- my ~2003 McQueen Monaco has a really badly scuffed crystal

11. sjbr101

sjbr101 Aug 21, 2015

You know that's so true I never get the CS2110 in for repair, only the CW2111, its almost as if they changed the manufacturing process, I know the case backs are different but the pushers are the same, maybe there is an internal difference, i will ask next time I visit HQ. If you have a few scratches I can recommend this but take it slow and steady.http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Headlight-Restoration-Discoloured-Headlights/dp/B0078IHJ1K i know I am probably preaching to the choir.

12. Calibre11

Never tried that...I also hear that Toothpaste works!

13. sjbr101

sjbr101 Aug 21, 2015

yeah pearl drops smokers toothpaste used to work, however they changed the recipe and it now uses a different abrasive so it just makes your watch minty !

14. albertoct

albertoct Aug 21, 2015

I tried once with toothpaste, but nothing happened... I think that if you just rub it with your finger, it will not be enough.
    Anyway, never seen a caries on my watch since then!

15. gophishin

gophishin Aug 21, 2015

Very well put, I completely agree with you here. The First Omega in Space is another good example. You're finally able to get a straight lug speedmaster with a lot of the vintage traits with modern reliability, and a much lower price. But you don't often see someone dabbling in both the originals and the re-edition / vintage inspired pieces.

Calibre11 likes this.