Forums Latest Members
  1. jreifler

jreifler Mar 19, 2021

Hi - I have this 73343 exotic that I purchased early into my collecting days. Didn't know much about these watches then - except that I loved unique dials, and the Camaro generally.

Question for the experts is: Is this handset correct? I've never seen another 73343 with a white sweeper and white 30 min register hand. I've really only ever seen one other 73343 Exotic with grey registers and tach scale, and it had the more common orange hands.

Serial is: 198241

Would love any insight you guys may have. Thanks !

IMG_2090.jpeg

2. abrod520

abrod520 Mar 19, 2021

The hands in general aren't right - the hour and minute hands are not from any Heuer; I also think the 30-min register hand is incorrect but the chrono sweep could be from a black-dial Camaro model. The running seconds is the only hand that looks definitively correct to me.

3. jreifler

jreifler Mar 19, 2021

Thanks, adrod520. Agreed. I've since learned a great deal more, and acquired several other Camaros that I know are original, and the handsets are quite different. Flat, arrow-tipped minute and hour, register hands are smaller, etc. Chrono Sweep looks fairly similar to my other Camaros, but agree the minute and hour are flatly incorrect. Wonder how hard a period-correct set is to source.

Edited Mar 19, 2021
  4. SteveP

SteveP Mar 19, 2021

Yes I remember when this one came up for sale originally. There has been quite a bit of tampering with it unfortunately. In my opinion none of the hands are correct, note the pushers are incorrect also. Have you ever opened the back to check the movement out of interest?

Hands are difficult for this one-I think the chrono hands are achievable but for the H/M hands (black striped) you'll have to be patient.... :coffee:

5. jreifler

jreifler Mar 19, 2021

Yeah. Hands and pushers incorrect. Movement is a 7733, but it's not signed. So, I guess in retrospect, it's a bonus that I didn't pay very much! Amazing how much you learn in just a couple years of collecting, and how much more there is to go . . .

6. SteveP

SteveP Mar 19, 2021

I had a feeling that may be the case.
    Absolutely....
    ps would be very interested to hear about your other Camaros....:thumbsup:

7. jreifler

jreifler Mar 19, 2021

And I'd be interested in telling, because I will talk to anyone who will listen about watches and cars.

The 73343 was among my earliest vintage purchases (along with a few 70s Omegas, Rolex Dates, a Breitling, and a Tissot). Most were "damaged" dials, because I immediately loved the odd character and variance, but wasn't ready to spend tropical dial money (though that transition happened stunningly fast).

I adored the Camaro because the design, history, and aesthetic are all just spot on for me. So next was a 7220N, which is lovely and original, despite having been polished by a monster. That watch is now part of my buddy's collection in trade for a Buckley DJ (my first DJ), but it's on loan to me at various times. It almost ticks all the boxes, but I needed a tach to feel whole.

By the next year, I was way more obsessed and careful, and landed a 7220NST. Its dial is very distinctive, and I've seen prior sale listings and pictures of it. You know when you see it against any other NST. The dial aged to be almost reflective silver in certain artificial light, and dark grey in others. Plus, reverse panda, which is just epic.

Finally, end of last year, I bought a bracelet with a watch attached. A pristine 7220 NT on its original GF. It's absolutely perfect, unpolished, and so original that it needs a good service and clean. But, it's my next to last Camaro grail, with the last being a 73643T. I'll be done then (said every addict ever).

IMG_1613.jpeg IMG_1753.jpeg IMG_1762.jpeg IMG_1755.jpeg

abrod520 and RockBurner like this.