Forums Latest Members
  1. geoorlando17

geoorlando17 Jan 21, 2019

Greetings,

I am new to the site/forum and am simply amazed at the terrific community here and all the great work. Kudos!

I was hoping to get an updated view of the 45 v 41. I just purchased the Mod 45 with the Calibre 16 kit. I have wanted one for some time but held off while I transitioned from IOS (iPhone 6+) to Android (Galaxy Note 9) and migrated from an Apple Watch to an LG Watch Sport. I did this about a year ago and wanted to put the new ecosystem through its paces to determine if I wanted to remain in it- which I intend to at this point.

Anyway- would appreciate any opinions or insights about the 45 v 41. I like the bigger face of the 45 but hung up a bit about the comparative screen resolution and memory of the 41. I assume they both run the latest version of Wear OS. Is there anything else I should be thinking about?

Appreciate your time!

Best,

G.

2. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 21, 2019

Hello and welcome!! :)

Previously to buy my CM 45, I had the 41 on my wrist, and then I was sure my watch was the 45... I found the 41 too small for me, and also the strap!

41 has slightly better screen resolution, but the screen is smaller, so I also prefer the 45 here. 41 has more memory, but up to now I have no problems with memory capacity of the 45. Both are running latest Wear OS version (45 has just received the Update H, but it will arrive soon also to the 41).

More advantages for the 45: there are clearly more straps and accessories available for the 45, and leather straps for the 41 are more destined to women (pink, white, and electric blue) if you compare with the leather straps for the 45 (black, brown, and grey).

But, for me the biggest 45 advantage: there are three mechanical modules available: Calibre 5, Calibre 16, and Heuer 02 Tourbillon... and there’s only one for the 41: the Calibre 5

Akineton and geoorlando17 like this.
  3. geoorlando17

geoorlando17 Jan 21, 2019

Thank you- appreciate the thoughtful and comprehensive response!

Best,

G.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  4. M47R1X

M47R1X Jan 21, 2019

If your wrist is wide enough to wear the 45, then everything is perfectly fine I think.

The 41 does provide double RAM and storage memory compared to the 45 but as Albert mentioned also a slightly smaller Display and Battery. User posted experiences praise a general improvement in responsiveness with the latest "H" update of Wear OS on their 45's.

Screenshot_20190101-120133-01.jpeg

As long as you are not planning to load hundreds of files on it and just use it for Notifications and some nice Watchfaces then there's no need for more than 512/4 GB that come with the 45 in my opinion. On the other hand OS and Apps will probably become more and more memory consuming someday when they undergo further development. Just remember times were we used floppy disks with 1,44 MB and compare it with nowadays 256 GB USB Sticks...:rolleyes: just kidding. Did a lot of research and noticed nowhere that a user complained about or was running out of the built in memory that comes with the 45.

Regarding Straps: Bought my 41 with a red Silicone Strap, and purchased a blue Calfskin and a black Silicone one additionally. Sadly no brown leather available so far.
    And by the way personally I wished the 41 would have the same nice Deployment as the 45 has.

Last but not least: Welcome to the forums! :)

Akineton, Albert-AMG and geoorlando17 like this.
  5. geoorlando17

geoorlando17 Jan 22, 2019

Dear M47R1X,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this comparison- it is very helpful. So glad to hear that no one is bumping up against RAM or memory limits. Interesting that while the 45 has better resolution the 41 packs in more PPI.

As I stated, I first transitioned to the LG Watch Sport because it is feature rich and was the lowest cost to try out an Android watch. In fact, it was the only watch at the time that had every feature that these watches offer. I was initially hung up over the fact that the TH didn't have Heart Rate, the extra shortcut buttons or a rotating crown- all of which are helpful features on the LG. I did also look at a Mont Blanc last year and they did not have extra shortcut buttons, a rotating crown or NFC. Their recently released model has all of that now. But in the end I wanted a TH- first waiting on the next gen 45 and then the 41 hoping that some of these features (and in particular heart rate) would be added but they were not. That being said, I wound up not liking the LG (or Apple Watch for that matter) as a fitness device in the end and went back to a separate dedicated fitness band. So the TH w/o heart rate came back on the radar.

I purchased the 45 so will probably stick with it at this point. I haven't unboxed but will probably do so this weekend!

Best,

G.

BMW Works and M47R1X like this.
  6. icwhatudidthere

icwhatudidthere Jan 23, 2019

One thing I found out recently is that the Google Fit app on Wear OS can now sync with bluetooth HR monitors. I like the new Fit features so I like that I can now track my workouts on my Tag Connected watch and still get heart rate via my Polar H10. It's not nearly as in depth as a dedicated fitness band but I like having everything in one Fit account.

7. geoorlando17

geoorlando17 Jan 23, 2019

Great comment. I find that neither Google Fit or Apple Health are currently up to the task of being a serious fitness device. That was my initial motivation for going to a Smart Watch in the first place. Now I am back to a Smart Watch and a Fitness Band which means I can change watches any time w/o losing track of key health metrics. As an aside, since I have migrated over the years from Fitbit to Polar to Garmin to Apple to Google and now back to Garmin with Strava I use "SyncMyTracks" on Android to keep a common repository of fitness files. As of now, Garmin and Strava have all the history from these different platforms.

Best,

G.