2024 KITH Heuer Formula 1 re-issue quartz watches

IIRC, weren't some of those boxes gifts sent to you from another forum member?

I still have my original coffin box (never heard that term before) for my OG yellow & gray, which I was told by @TAG1000Diver.com has an early original 1986 ESA movement. So, mine should also be worth at least $1000. 😉

They sure were. Remo very kindly sent me two of them. Don't worry I'm not going to sell them. Even though I only have one old F1 my wife has about 6 of them.

They sure were. Remo very kindly sent me two of them. Don't worry I'm not going to sell them. Even though I only have one old F1 my wife has about 6 of them.
I didn't think you would, it's just that these are probably more valuable and generous gifts than you had originally imagined. Perhaps?

Are your wife's 28mm or 35? If 35mm, then kinda yours too. 😉

I also got my shirt. One benefit of these fashion apparel collabs is being able to buy fun matching shirts for your watch! 😁
Shirts.jpg

I didn't think you would, it's just that these are probably more valuable and generous gifts than you had originally imagined. Perhaps?

Are your wife's 28mm or 35? If 35mm, then kinda yours too. 😉

28mm unfortunately... and yes maybe so.

Interesting. I wonder why the steel & plastic orange one is so much thinner?

My original all plastics weigh in at a similar 3.6g for my McLaren, 3.7g for my Katayama & 3.8g for my Yellow & Gray. With a similar thickness of around 9.4mm.

My KITH Hawaii has the same thickness but weighs 5.1g. Heavier than the OG plastics but lighter than the new TAG PVD coated steel.

One thing to keep in mind -- The Formula 1 watches that are in what appear to be plastic cases are actually in what TAG Heuer called a "twin combination watch case" . . . "solid stainless steel and extremely tough fibreglass".

Taking the yellow / black one, as our example -- as shown in the image below, the fibreglass actually surrounds a stainless steel "container" that holds the movement. This one ends up being lighter than the stainless steel watch (Orange / Gray guy), but it's not as light as it would have been, had the case been made entirely of plastic (without the inner container).

We should also keep in mind that there are many different types of stainless steel. So the Kith weighs in at 61 grams, compared to the 38 and 43 of the earlier models, because the new Kith model is using "real steel".

Last note -- these arnite cases seems to have survived very well; 38 years later, we don't see many of them that are cracked or broken.

Jeff

4206497c-b5db-4f3c-b474-2e8a382e5ddf.jpeg

Actually I'm not sure how many she has.... she's got the orange one, the lume dial one, two tone blue one, raspberry one, yellow and black... maybe that's it - she had another two but sold them.

28mm unfortunately... and yes maybe so.
Do those 28mm fit in the coffin cases you have? Because if she ever decides to sell, the coffin case may greatly enhance the value.

I did notice that there are several listings for supposed NOS full set TAG Heuer F1s, with misleading KITH in the titles, trying to be sold now for over $1000. Not even with the original coffin case, but the later style boxes and papers.
Not a KITH.jpeg Not a KITH Yellow Gray.jpeg

I also noticed this absolutely bonkers asking price for a Hawaii! 🤨
Hawaii.jpeg

Hahaha, those prices are nuts.

The coffin cases have a plastic insert to make the 28mm watches fit in the same box. I definitely have 1 insert, not sure if 2.

Hahaha, those prices are nuts.

The coffin cases have a plastic insert to make the 28mm watches fit in the same box. I definitely have 1 insert, not sure if 2.
Interesting. Didn't know about the insert. The inner sliding part of my coffin case is all one piece, molded in plastic to fit a 35mm and its 18mm strap size.

Yeah I will take a photo, I'm at work now. It's like a little extra cradle that takes up the extra space - like a movement holder I guess. 😁

Interesting. I wonder why the steel & plastic orange one is so much thinner?

My original all plastics weigh in at a similar 3.6g for my McLaren, 3.7g for my Katayama & 3.8g for my Yellow & Gray. With a similar thickness of around 9.4mm.

My KITH Hawaii has the same thickness but weighs 5.1g. Heavier than the OG plastics but lighter than the new TAG PVD coated steel.

Interesting that the new Kith with the arnite case weights in at 51 grams . . . I have to assume that this watch also has the inner stainless steel "container" to hold the movement, that adds to the weight of the arnite. At some point, we need photos showing the construction of these new Kith arnite cases.

Jeff

Interesting that the new Kith with the arnite case weights in at 51 grams . . . I have to assume that this watch also has the inner stainless steel "container" to hold the movement, that adds to the weight of the arnite. At some point, we need photos showing the construction of these new Kith arnite cases.

Jeff
I can feel the weight difference in my hand too. Some of it must be the rubber strap. But I don't want to take the straps off just to weigh the cases separately. Don't want to risk any damage since the watch is brand new. The Arnite case can be easily scratched if not careful when removing straps. This area is also where I've noticed some used ones have cracks in the case as well.

I'm also tempted to remove the caseback to see what movement is being used. But again don't want to risk any scratches, so will leave it to some other curious owner to find out.

I learned from one of the creators of the booklet's design, @damon.amato, that there's an alternate cover. It has New York on the cover and back. It's also interesting that NY has the colored logo on the caseback.
Booklet cover.jpg
back NY.jpg

I can feel the weight difference in my hand too. Some of it must be the rubber strap. But I don't want to take the straps off just to weigh the cases separately. Don't want to risk any damage since the watch is brand new. The Arnite case can be easily scratched if not careful when removing straps. This area is also where I've noticed some used ones have cracks in the case as well.

I'm also tempted to remove the caseback to see what movement is being used. But again don't want to risk any scratches, so will leave it to some other curious owner to find out.

Here's the safest way to see and learn about the movement -- https://www.eta.ch/en/our-products/quartz-movements/eta-f05412

Clip.jpg

Here's the safest way to see and learn about the movement -- https://www.eta.ch/en/our-products/quartz-movements/eta-f05412

Clip.jpg
Thanks a lot!
I'm not familiar at all with the different ETA quartz movements. I noticed the ETA F05.412 has these two features:
  • HeavyDrive – Integrated circuit with shock detection and protection
  • PreciDrive – Thermocompensated and COSC
Which seems quite nice to me.

EDIT: I also noticed it has a fairly long expected battery life, compared to an average quartz.
Theoretical battery’s lifetime :
- 68 months (battery 40.0 mAh)
- 94 months (battery 55.0 mAh)
Edited:

Here's another look at the "combination case", with the stainless steel container in the middle (to hold the movement) and the fiberglass surrounding it.

Perhaps it's a common approach in manufacturing plastic watches, but I had always puzzled about the descriptions of the Formula 1 watches in the TAG Heuer catalogs.

F2284.JPG

Here's another look at the "combination case", with the stainless steel container in the middle (to hold the movement) and the fiberglass surrounding it.

Perhaps it's a common approach in manufacturing plastic watches, but I had always puzzled about the descriptions of the Formula 1 watches in the TAG Heuer catalogs.

F2284.JPG
I don't believe it was common in the '80s & '90s. Even now I don't believe the moonSwatch has a steel core within it. My moonSwatch Mercury weighs 29g compared to the Hawaii F1 at 51g.

The original F1s were clearly better quality than any Swatch, and the new ones are even better built. People who say just buy an OG F1 for $500 probably have never handled the new one in person. Plus, these old quartz movements don't run forever, circuits can go bad after time and the mechanical parts can get gunked up if not serviced.

and here's the Stainless Steel case on the Formula 1 . . . notice that this model came later and also uses a different movement.

F2318.JPG

Thanks a lot!
I'm not familiar at all with the different ETA quartz movements. I noticed the ETA F05.412 has these two features:
  • HeavyDrive – Integrated circuit with shock detection and protection
  • PreciDrive – Thermocompensated and COSC
Which seems quite nice to me.

EDIT: I also noticed it has a fairly long expected battery life, compared to an average quartz.
Theoretical battery’s lifetime :
- 68 months (battery 40.0 mAh)
- 94 months (battery 55.0 mAh)

Thermocompensated cosc wuartz? Is that new for TAG? I don’t think I’ve seen this referenced before (although my quartz Aquaracer has proven absurdly tough and accurate).

Thermocompensated cosc wuartz? Is that new for TAG? I don’t think I’ve seen this referenced before (although my quartz Aquaracer has proven absurdly tough and accurate).
TAG doesn't list any information about the movement. Hence, I'm grateful to @Jeff Stein for filling us in.

I don't know about the 3 hander Aquaracers. But the movement in the current gen quartz F1 chrono and quartz Aquaracer chrono is the Ronda 5040.D.
Ronda Caliber 5040.D Watch Movement (calibercorner.com)
Nothing stated about Thermo-compensation or COSC.

That's why the "HeavyDrive" and "PreciDrive" features caught my attention, as well as the longer than usual battery life. It may just be ETA's terminology, but not all of their quartz movements have the features. Some do, some don't.
Quartz movements | Manufacture Horlogère Suisse | ETA SA

A little more detail on the ETA F05.412 here: ETA Caliber F05.412 Watch Movement (calibercorner.com)