2024 KITH Heuer Formula 1 re-issue quartz watches

It’s on there for £1,600 I believe Jim. Sometimes there’s 10% off too.
It is a tempting price. Such a shame the Swedish regime ruling this country with an iron fist adds the communist punishment taxes on goods imported from outside the EU. At least an additional 25% in dictator fees is what I would be sentenced to pay as punishment.

It is a tempting price. Such a shame the Swedish regime ruling this country with an iron fist adds the communist punishment taxes on goods imported from outside the EU. At least an additional 25% in dictator fees is what I would be sentenced to pay as punishment.
That is disappointing!

... 3 or 4k in price it makes a cheap entry level price ...

upload_2023-12-12_15-40-0.jpeg

I think you and i have a very different idea of what "cheap" means....

(No offence, obviously!)

I think you and i have a very different idea of what "cheap" means....

(No offence, obviously!)
Dude, I think these prices are insane and I dont consider 3-4k cheap at all. I just meant how Kid Freddy is trying to position the brand.

But like Ariel Adams of ABTW says, if you don't understand the price, the product is not aimed at you. This is spot on for TAG Heuer watches for me.

This is clearly incorrect. The most legible by a mile is the Aquaracer I have. Once every year, if you’re lucky, you can tell the time. In daylight. When the wind is behind you. And a phoenix flys past. Carbon Aqua for the win.

Gentlemen, please, calm down. The WAY108A is clearly the better watch and the most obvious reasons are:

- The bezel is lumed (what utter moron would design a night diver without a lumed bezel?)

- The rubber strap looks so much better and unique, plus it has the TAG shield on it which is super cool

- The clasp, oh the clasp, is superior in every way. It is smaller, looks better and has endless adjustability, you don't need to cut that shit to fit your wrist

- The bezel is high polish giving a more blingy look which will draw attention to your sexy wrist

- The indices are lumed which makes sense on a night diver in my opinion

- The hands and 3, 6, 9 and 12 indices have two colour lume which looks mega cool

The only negative I can think of, Dom, is that the WAY108A doesn't have the mechanical movement. I do love me a good ol' calibro cinco. And as we all know, if the second hand ticks 8 times or more per second, the watch has a soul. The WAY108A only ticks once per second and therefore clearly has no soul.

It’s an interesting time. If they bring them out at too high a price, with the Calibre 5 inside, then it will be too expensive and miss the mark. If they stick with Quartz and do them in a cheaper plastic case, then they can knock them out by the bucketload and make a decent short term return, but you’ll struggle to get one in all the hype. They’ve clearly been watching to see what the MoonSwatch does for Omega and decided that it’s been almost all positive for that short period and boosted sales of Speedmaster’s too.

My gut is telling me that they need to go midway and bring them back with a quality mecaquartz movement and carbon case, much like the Breitling Endurance Pro. I would be all of that, being a fan of the Breitling.

Another option is to go Ceramic case and whack a new Kenissi in there. Just depends on how plush they are vs the price.
The endurance pro doesn’t have a mecha quartz movement, though. It’s a standard ETA quartz chronograph with thermocomp. It has a high jewel count, repairable, and serviceable, but still a $150-$200 movement and is no more “mecha” than any standard quartz movement. I do wish TAG would use this movement over the Ronda, which has half the jewel count, and isn’t TC. I have a feeling TAG would use a Ronda 6003.D that they use in every three hand quartz F1 (which is a fine movement but not very exciting lol)

The endurance pro doesn’t have a mecha quartz movement, though. It’s a standard ETA quartz chronograph with thermocomp. It has a high jewel count, repairable, and serviceable, but still a $150-$200 movement and is no more “mecha” than any standard quartz movement. I do wish TAG would use this movement over the Ronda, which has half the jewel count, and isn’t TC. I have a feeling TAG would use a Ronda 6003.D that they use in every three hand quartz F1 (which is a fine movement but not very exciting lol)

Apologies, I was told it has a mechaquartz and I just accepted that. Does sound like a great movement though, from what you post above.

Apologies, I was told it has a mechaquartz and I just accepted that. Does sound like a great movement though, from what you post above.
No need to apologize my friend! I hope my post didn’t come across as rude. I was pretty sleepy still, haha. It’s a common misconception, but that movement is pretty spectacular. I absolutely love my quartz movements!
I’ll make a thread on the different quartz movements that TAG Heuer has used (and created ) along the years. They have quite a unique history with quartz!

No need to apologize my friend! I hope my post didn’t come across as rude. I was pretty sleepy still, haha. It’s a common misconception, but that movement is pretty spectacular. I absolutely love my quartz movements!
I’ll make a thread on the different quartz movements that TAG Heuer has used (and created ) along the years. They have quite a unique history with quartz!
Not at all, we’re all good. 😀

That does sound like an interesting thread to read.

good to see quartz getting the love it deserves

Quartz is fine. Except of course it has no soul. But then since we hear that the whole #connectedtoeternity thing was a scam, with watchmakers switching out movements and not repairing them - seems like quartz isn't the second class citizen it was painted as.

I’ll go against the grain & admit I cannot stand quartz, and wouldn’t spend more than a few hundred in one. Cannot explain it, but just about put up with my vintage Seiko Arnie which is quartz.

I can see why people like them, and also why popular with ladies watches. But just not for me

Quartz is fine. Except of course it has no soul. But then since we hear that the whole #connectedtoeternity thing was a scam, with watchmakers switching out movements and not repairing them - seems like quartz isn't the second class citizen it was painted as.

hah! I’d never thought of it like that, but thinking about it, I have much more confidence that my 15yo quartz Aquaracer will still be working in a decades time than my 5yo calibre 5! But good point, it has no soul if you don’t have to hand crank it like a 1960s dump truck.

I’ll go against the grain & admit I cannot stand quartz, and wouldn’t spend more than a few hundred in one. Cannot explain it, but just about put up with my vintage Seiko Arnie which is quartz.

I can see why people like them, and also why popular with ladies watches. But just not for me

I think it depends on what you want your watch to be....

If you want a time-keeper that rarely needs adjusting, is "medium-term" reliable (ie for as long as the battery lasts), and tough: IE a "tool to tell the time", then quartz is fine.

If you want something that has more engineering "soul", and you're prepared to live with a slightly compromised functionality, but with actual long-term reliability (can be used for far greater than the life of a battery) then mechanical will get your dollars.

Has to be said - I wouldn't spend more than about £200-300 on a quartz watch. But would spend far more on a mechanical, despite the fact that it won't tell the time quite as accurately.

I can see why people like them, and also why popular with ladies watches.

Someone should tell Switzerland since they seem to be deleting all their quartz ladies pieces. In fact TAG seem to be reducing their ladies range every year....