2023 TAG Heuer Monza Carbon Flyback Chronograph (CR5090.FN6001)

Well maybe JCB wanted to provide a Hublot alternative at an affordable price point? For poor people like me 😁

With the added bonus of not having the 'embarrassment' of buying a Hublot.

The TAG was £4000 when it came out the Hublot is about £10,000

That was then, but look at the Monza's price now.

I mean couldn't you make the same argument about every watch that copied the look of the Submariner? Wasn't the 1000 Series copying something else to some extent?

That was then, but look at the Monza's price now.

Yeah, but TAGs carbon watches are always expensive, probably Hublot's carbon watches are £30,000+ (I don't know.... I don't really know much about Hublot)

Kind of a rhetorical question which you answered in the post above.

If you can’t afford a Hublot, and you feel the Carrera Skeleton looks like a Hublot, then you can buy one if in your price range. This is all without Hublot diminishing its brand by introducing an affordable model.

That’s assuming you think it looks like a Hublot to begin with.

At the end of the day, if anyone wants something that screams the brand image, then they buy the model that does this. For those who don’t, they can choose from a wider range of options within that brand. Both work and are not mutually exclusive.

To be fair to Michael, while I don't think it looks that much like a Hublot side by side, in 2015 there wasn't exactly a lot of skeleton dial watches full stop, let alone on rubber straps (Hublot's calling card) so it was an easy and obvious association to make. I'm sure JCB did introduce the idea to the TAG designers to make a watch that looks a bit like a Hublot, considering his ties to the company and it's success, after all JCB was repositioning TAG as an affordable entry level luxury brand (oh for the days of affordable luxury!)
For me, and I suspect, 80% of TAG Heuer's customer base, the 'heritage' isn't as important as what is in the window. I've always been keen on TAG doing new things, the SEL wasn't rooted in anything but it was a massive success, whatever anyone thinks of it now. Of course now it is 'Sennas' watch, but at the time I'm sure there were people who thought it was dreadful and a slur on the Heuer name.

I respect a good discussion where opinions differ @Mspeedster and @Aquagraph. I am the new boy, having been into this hobby for such a short time, so not surprised that my opinion differs when it comes to heritage.

I like the heritage models btw, but also like the new stuff too.

EDIT: What I really find amusing is that I have always loved Porsche and, if I could afford one, it would only be the classic 356 or 911 Carrera RS for me. The new ones, whilst epic in their own right, just don’t do it in the same way for me. Kind of ironic really.

I do recognise that there is no mistaking the modern versions as being a Porsche mind you.
Edited:

Ironic that you are in the middle ground with me and Michael on opposite ends of the scale, hahaha.
I sent him a render for an unreleased watch yesterday saying 'Most hideous thing I've ever seen' he replied 'Could be my watch of the year'. 😁
There you go... but it just goes to show that TAG need to make different watches for different customers.
The complaining is one way traffic though, people who buy quartz F1s don't generally go around slagging off TAG for making 'old crap', they just ignore the things they don't like and focus on what they do.
::stirthepot::

Only way to settle it is to send me the render for my ‘impartial’ opinion. 😀

When in the Boutique on Monday, the two sales ladies were both really nice. One was clearly a Watch fan and the other clearly just a salesperson. I had my Seamaster on and the latter asked why I was trying on the Solargraph when I already had the Seamaster. The former just smiled, shook her head and answered that’s the difference between you and us.

Michael feels about the Heuer 01 like I feel about the black album. 😁

Ironic that you are in the middle ground with me and Michael on opposite ends of the scale, hahaha.
I sent him a render for an unreleased watch yesterday saying 'Most hideous thing I've ever seen' he replied 'Could be my watch of the year'. 😁
There you go... but it just goes to show that TAG need to make different watches for different customers.
The complaining is one way traffic though, people who buy quartz F1s don't generally go around slagging off TAG for making 'old crap', they just ignore the things they don't like and focus on what they do.
::stirthepot::
Maybe that’s because 99.99% of quartz F1s are sold to non watch enthusiasts or collectors who have better things to do than complain about watches on fora.

Michael feels about the Heuer 01 like I feel about the black album. 😁

Jay Z or Metallica?

But it's the same thing, I don't like it, but 30 million sales doesn't lie.

Michael doesn't like the Heuerblot 01 but it was very successful for TAG.

But it's the same thing, I don't like it, but 30 million sales doesn't lie.

Michael doesn't like the Heuerblot 01 but it was very successful for TAG.
But at what cost in the long-term. By constantly reinventing their design language, TAG is in danger of harming their brand.

For the polar opposite, look at Rolex - whatever the model, you can tell it's a Rolex, even at a distance, old or new. Well, alright, I suppose it could be a Folex (fake) or homage. But it's still recognisable as Rolex.