Forums Latest Members

2022 TAG Heuer Aquaracer GMT WBP2010.BA0632

1. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Aug 13, 2022

Thanks for sharing. It's ok, but the dark blue & white bezel is just too much. It looks super shiny and I feel like it's screaming at me.

Judging by this forum, I'd say yes. For me, I'd easily pick the BB Pro over the Aquaracer GMT. But I'd pick the Aquaracer Night Diver over the BB Pro. Just my taste.

thingziliketoo likes this.
  2. stevec14

stevec14 Aug 13, 2022

The blue one doesn’t and ( to me at least) looks modern but I concede the green does.

that said, I don’t believe a modern aesthetic demands charging more necessarily - and if you look at the prices there only a hundred quid or so in it (or thereabouts) - so fairly equal in any case. specs aside which us nerds on here may give a toss about, for the general buyer it’s going to be more a case of whether the modern or vintagey aesthetic floats their boat.

I am generally in the latter camp (I do love 5 digit Rolex, 6 digit not so much). I’ll likely prefer the Tudor in many cases as that what suits me - however, It’s good that both exist.

3. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 13, 2022

Do you really think this forum represents "most TAG buyers"? I think we are a rare bunch of mega nerds here

RockBurner, thingziliketoo and dtf like this.
  4. imagwai

imagwai Aug 13, 2022

Controversial opinion... the Aquaracer looks like a poor man's cross between a Rolex Sub and an Omega Seamaster.

stevec14, dtf and Mspeedster like this.
  5. stevec14

stevec14 Aug 13, 2022

Given Tudor are in most AD’s that stock TAG watches these days, I’d say they probably do know Tudor in some shape or form. If not from that, then from the regular page size adverts in national newspapers that keep popping up every week will put that name in many heads.

6. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Aug 13, 2022

True we are a very small sample compared to the larger population of TAG buyers. Still, if statistically scaled, I do believe most TAG buyers are aware of Tudor. We've got people like @McBeardy, who owns a BB58 and has yet to buy a TAG. OTOH, there are others here that only buy (or mostly buy) TAG, but still are very aware of Tudor.

So the real question is how many TAG buyers seriously cross shop Tudor. That would probably be a smaller number, but I think not insignificant.

McBeardy likes this.
  7. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Aug 13, 2022

I get way more Seamaster vibes from the Aquaracer, not as much Submariner. OTOH, the 1000 was totally a poor man's sub, but I love them. So is the Black Bay, but I love them too.

thingziliketoo, McBeardy and imagwai like this.
  8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 13, 2022

Yup

9. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 13, 2022

For sure most TAG buyers would be aware of Tudor, but considering TAG is 'supposedly' aimed at younger buyers, does the Tudor aesthetic appeal to a lot of them? I could totally understand where a 25 year old guy would think a TAG looked cool, but a Tudor looked old fashioned and possibly a bit boring. I'm not baiting you guys, but you surely see that not many young people who have grown up with technology all around them are that interested in watches that look like their Dad would wear. And I'm sure many of TAGs customers are not really all that interested in watches full stop, they are probably expensive fashion statements and they would probably buy them even if they were quartz. Same could be said for Hublot to be honest, just for richer kids. To be honest my primary interest in watches is aesthetic, I couldn't care less about in house movements and true GMTs, which is probably why I only own TAGs because there isn't really an obvious competitor in the same price bracket offering contempary styling. You can tell me Longines, but all I see there is slightly less obvious vintageness, and some modern designs that I don't actually like. Even Tudor has some modern designs (Dark Rider or whatever it's called) but no one talks about them cos no one likes them.

10. imagwai

imagwai Aug 13, 2022

Colour scheme/black ceramic bezel, cyclops and oyster style bracelet are all a bit "Subby" I guess. But yes, teak dial and case more "Seamastery". And there have been plenty of good watches that have borrowed these design cues from other brands for sure. I guess what I'm saying is, the Aquaracer is squarely competing with these, just in a slightly lower price bracket. (But I think Tudor has them beat )

11. dtf

dtf Aug 13, 2022

I think in our romanticism of the brand, we are forgetting that TAG is a gateway Swiss watch, the first 'nice' watch you buy when you want to show you've made it, but aren't grown up enough to buy a rolex.

Stop someone in the street and ask them to name Swiss watch brands, Id bet the vast majority of average people would only be able to name TAG and Rolex.

McBeardy likes this.
  12. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 13, 2022

I guess one way too look at it is Tudor is Maserati, whereas TAG is Lamborghini. They're both Italian sportscars but they (for the most part) appeal to different buyers.

13. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 13, 2022

Yes, largely because of TAG's advertising and high street presence.

14. Jim Dollares

I guess it depends on where you live, I counted number of dealers in the country here and Tudor watches are not even sold in half as many places as TAG Heuer watches. Here Tudor is still more of a niche brand that fewer know of.

Pitfitter446 and dtf like this.
  15. stevec14

stevec14 Aug 13, 2022

You’ll be surprised to know that I don’t disagree with much you are saying. However, I think the power of Rolex and Tudor marketing and advertising will eventually rule the roost. The crown despite being a mid tier brand is the most known luxury brand in the world to the masses. It doesn’t take a huge leap to see Tudor being the ‘next’ brand to many.

In many ways you are right about ‘in house’ movements not mattering. But when advertising focusses on 72hr power reserves etc, the people that read those adverts will belatedly understand the differences, and eventually a watch purchase will become, partly, driven by those matters which can impact the user experience.

I don’t think this discussion needs to be quite so black and white. Yes, there are watches that punch above their weight spec wise. Would I buy a Tudor P01 - no.

I’m not sure that TAGs will appeal more to the younger generation than tudors in the long term. There’s a reason that designs like the 16710 have enduring appeal across the age spectrum, and I expect tudors to continue to appeal to old and young going fwd. they fill a void that no one filled after Rolex moved on and therefore they will always be popular for that reason. TAG will be the same and there will be a place for both in the marketplace.

16. Jim Dollares

Isn't it just great that all of our TAG Heuer threads in the THF turn into a discussion about Tudor...

Yago, Aquagraph and dtf like this.
  17. stevec14

stevec14 Aug 13, 2022

I’d actually say that’s the opposite right now.

18. stevec14

stevec14 Aug 13, 2022

For once via thread or photo, I didn’t start it!

I’d just like that on record your honour :D

19. Jim Dollares

Not pointing fingers or anything but every time TAG release a new watch, our community only has one thing to say... Tudahz be better bruh!!!

Aquagraph likes this.
  20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 13, 2022

Really, I see a lot of TAG boutiques in the UK and a lot of ADs who stock it, and their aggressive marketing is legendary and much derided. For example, the Grey Man. Plus don't forget a lot of younger people come to TAG via Connected, which Tudor do not have.

stevec14 likes this.