Forums Latest Members

2017 / 2018 TAG Heuer Monaco '50th Anniversary of Gulf Racing' - Special Edition (CAW211R)

1. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 18, 2017

Aaah maan they are so cool all of them! When will yours be delivered @Hubert ?

To be honest I have never tried on a Monaco, have a long way to nearest AD but next time I will definately try one on. The sunburst dial calibre 12 would be my choice if my watch budget ever will be that large :)

2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 18, 2017

Thanks! The site says: "Preorder (Product will be shipped starting on September 15th, 2017)"
    Try a Monaco the next time you see one on a store. I think it will become an object of lust there after. ;)

3. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 18, 2017

I tried on that Monaco 24 once, it was in the Bicester outlet for about £7,000... I told myself I didn't like it because I couldn't afford it. But it was cool...

Jim Dollares likes this.
  4. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 18, 2017

I do the same with cars. Telling myself I dont like BMW, Audi Q7 etc :p

5. jberb55

jberb55 Aug 18, 2017

Hi Hubert, thanks for this thread... There is so little information and hype available on the internet. I learned of the watch when I randomly went to tagheuer.com, looking for information on the Connected Modular.

Did they charge your card when you preordered, or will they charge it when it ships?

Does anyone know if this "special edition" is a "limited edition"? Is the caseback numbered, or distinguishable from the regular blue Cal11 version? Is any of the packaging special?

Mspeedster likes this.
  6. abrod520

abrod520 Aug 18, 2017

Ah, I see... they've just updated it with the original-style dial markers and hands. Well good on them, I'm still not into it but it doesn't give me subconscious heebie-jeebies like the "radial" style Monaco dials

I am glad TAG is circulating more sunburst dials though, IMO it's a major point of attraction for the early Chronomatic models

7. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 18, 2017

Yes, I love the sunburst dials too; especially the early Chronomatic dials that you referenced. I think this new model will show it's design much better when in direct sunlight. In principle, the grey goes better with the color scheme, but they already did that once, so I fully recognized their need to use a different color (blue) on this new one.

8. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Aug 19, 2017

OMG! I love this new version. But I already have the Gulf Grey LE. It's very similar and makes it hard justifying getting this new one. So tempted, so tempted!!!

[​IMG]

Jim Dollares and Hubert like this.
  9. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 19, 2017

You've got the best one from the old catalogue! :thumbsup:

Mspeedster likes this.
  10. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Aug 19, 2017

Good questions! I'd like to know the answers to these as well.

11. Hubert

Your credit card gets charged in full when you place the preorder.

The website states: "Preorder (Product will be shipped starting on September 15th, 2017)"

This is a "Special Edition". It does not look like it will be numbered.

No word yet on the box or packaging.

jberb55 and Mspeedster like this.
  12. Hubert

Here's the 2nd official video; I updated the 1st post with this video for easy access.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  13. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Aug 19, 2017

Get it. One is tag heuer the other one is heuer. :thumbsup:

Mspeedster likes this.
  14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 19, 2017

Otto, you are a very silly man. And that TAG looks better than the new one! See how the second hand is orange...

Mspeedster likes this.
  15. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Aug 19, 2017

Thanks for the reply. That sucks that they charge your card in full and the watch doesn't ship for about a month. If I do buy the watch, I may wait until shipment starts. If it's not a "Limited Edition", I don't think they'll run out. I'm not sure what "Special Edition" means in Tag Heuer speak. I suppose they'll build as many as they want, but only offer the watch for a given time period.

It's also interesting that they only offer the watch on-line in the US, which means no haggling on the price. (I live in the US.) I wonder if outside the US the watch will be sold at dealers and boutique stores?

jberb55 likes this.
  16. imagwai

imagwai Aug 19, 2017

I guess I'm in the minority here but I prefer the red second hand to the orange.

17. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Aug 19, 2017

Hahaha. Well I'm sure the box and papers will have "Tag Heuer" on it somewhere.

I'm really on the fence about getting it. I don't have a huge collection of watches, but I do also own a Breitling Navitimer, Omega Speedmaster, and Rolex Submariner. My Gulf Grey LE is a favorite and I get more comments on the Gulf from strangers than any of my other watches. It has sentimental value, so I don't want to sell it. I really love the new watch, but it's hard to justify having both.

I do wish the hands of the CAW211R were Orange (like my Grey) instead of Red. But I really like the dark blue sun burst dial and the strap looks awesome. As I don't own the blue McQueen CAW211P, one would think I should get that watch. But for some reason I'm just more drawn to these Monaco Gulf editions.

18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 19, 2017

Mspeedster,
    Have you thought about the Monaco 24 Concept?

19. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Aug 19, 2017

I have, when it first came out. But I passed, as it was too big for my wrist and it didn't have the "Gulf" logo on it. I actually bought my Gulf Grey while on an international business trip from an AD about 6+ years ago, because for some reason (trademark licensing perhaps?) the Gulf Grey wasn't sold in the US.

Ironic, because as far as I can tell, so far the US is the only country to get this new Special Edition Gulf. I set my VPN so my computer would emulate various countries. I tried Canada, UK, Switzerland, Germany and Japan; none of these countries had anything about this watch on their Tag Heuer websites.

20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 19, 2017

I actually quite like that the Concept doesn't have the Gulf logo on it actually, but if it's too big it's too big. It is a chunky watch...