Wishful Thinking: TAG Heuer's new 2020 collection

Following on the heels of the latest TAG lineup to feature a watch that, despite having its own merits, has had the Carrera name slapped on it in yet another confused attempt to boost sales, I wondered how TAG's lineup might look if they actually knew what they were doing. (Read: I was so disappointed that I downloaded open-source photo editing software and figured out how to do an OK enough job with it to get my point across, just for this).

So: The 2020 Carrera lineup. 41mm regular production, plus the 39mm 160th Anniversary limited edition.
The Carrera, throughout each evolution of its design under Heuer's steerage, never featured an external bezel. This was because the Autavia always did, since that model was positioned as the full-on sports model while the Carrera ethos was that it was an elegant, slightly dressier chronograph that wouldn't look out of place in the boardroom or with a tuxedo but was equally at home in a race car with its at-a-glance readability. As such, the proper 2020 Carrera lineup is neither gauche at an enormous 44mm nor features an external bezel.
Plus, the Carrera Montreal edition is no longer. You'll see why if you read on!
1024527-732f0c9f60823c7c38f1b34a8c0e8cae.jpg

(Note: The renders of the 160th Anniversary do not accurately depict the chapter ring's visibility. On the actual watch - which I own and so have actual experience with - the chapter ring and thus the minutes track is blocked by the extremely thick walls of the "glassbox" crystal. See any of my photos here or on IG to see what I mean, or feel free to send me a message if you'd like a detailed demonstration. It is a lovely watch, don't get me wrong, but as ever TAG cannot be bothered to refine the details even at a $6500 price point.)

So what, then, of the 44mm model with the external bezel? It does look all right on its own, even if it really should not be called a Carrera. As I mentioned earlier though, under the care of Heuer the Autavia always occupied that spot in the lineup. Recently, TAG has decided to dilute the Autavia name as it has been with the Carrera, and turned it into a silly 3-hand quasi-dive watch that is more or less identical in function to the Aquaracer line yet costs 20% more or so. This is, to put it charitably, rather stupid and is sure to be a mainstay of grey-market dealers' shelves.
So instead, I've given the name (and the 44mm design) the respect it deserves in the form of the 2020 Autavia:

1024534-c56341a23e64d7d78095b4e00e3ca649.jpg

And last but not least I've also given the Montreal a more appropriate amount of attitude as the original was a balls-to-the-wall sports watch and really is not honored properly by the Carrera design they've released. Instead, this is the Autavia 160 Years Montreal Limited Edition:

1024535-bd98869860bf302ecdb74a9aa48041f3.jpg

It is my personal opinion that this lineup more accurately reflects what would be available for sale if TAG actually cared about what it does, or if it could be bothered at all to put even the slightest bit of effort into their products.

IMO, the pinnacle of the Carrera was the 2010-2016 era. @Calibre11's updated article makes this plain to see - well, to me anyway. YMMV.

I like your 2020 Carrera design sir @abrod520 ::love::::love:: including modern Autavia renditions!

As much as we want to continue the Autavia heritage motorsports model line, we all know TAG Heuer has a different direction for the Autavia now. TAG Heuer line is probably "too skewed" to motorsports. Heritage Autavia only resonates to vintage watch collectors or to Heuer/TAG Heuer enthusiasts to be honest. Unfortunately, it is not known to a lot of watch enthusiasts. And probably it is this reason that TAG Heuer wanted to change it's approach with the Autavia and gear it for a different area in watchmaking for possible growth in TAG Heuer sales overall. Something like an "Explorer" / active outdoor version for TAG Heuer ?? ::confused2:: They could've used a different name, I don't know, but they are surely banking on some "heritage" that comes with the name rather than create an entirely new one.

I like your drafts and propositions VERY much. :thumbsup:
They are a combination of existing elements which are an expression of the ever evolving TAG Heuer collection. I think the new Carrera Sport models are very cool, modern and respectful of the past at the same time.
In my view your very creative work shows clearly, that the DNA of the watches of TAG Heuer has the potential for endless future descendants. Some of them more futuristic, others a bit more like the ancestors. And all of them with their right to exist.

TAG Heuer line is probably "too skewed" to motorsports.

Why is that a problem though? It's a solid niche, one that TAG practically owns.

Why is that a problem though? It's a solid niche, one that TAG practically owns.

I agree with you sir @abrod520 ! Nope I don’t see that as a problem for me :D It is exactly the same reason why I’m all in for Heuer / TAG Heuer as my other passion are cars, driving & motorsports! :thumbsup:

I’m just saying in general who are not “motor/petrolheads” and maybe wanted something different from TAG Heuer thus the new direction for the Autavia. ;)

Carrera, Monaco, Formula 1 - Motorsports
Aquaracer - Watersports
Link - Formal / Elegant style
Autavia 3-hand - Active / Adventure style
and the Heritage, Collaboration, Connected, Haute Horlogerie.

Good job, I'm surprised you didn't make them all 'Heuer' though... since clearly that's what you actually want them to be.

Good job, I'm surprised you didn't make them all 'Heuer' though... since clearly that's what you actually want them to be.

Daggers at 10 paces.....

I'm only saying what everyone else is thinking... :eek:
But joking aside, how do these renders represent a 'modern' take on the Carrera?
It's a new dial in an old case.

Sorry... 'classic' case.
There's room for that, like with the Calibre 16 Carreras, but the new range is supposed to be modern.

Abrod520 is entitled to his opinion, as are we all, but if we are 100% honest he and I are at opposing ends of the spectrum. I don't really care about anything pre 1985 and he doesn't care about anything post mid 70s (I'm guessing). There's no right or wrong, just different views.
Edited:

That's not the idea - the idea is, there's space for a modern lineup and there's space for a regular-production line of classics. The animating idea here, though, is that the large case with the external bezel should be a different line (Autavia) which IMO would allow for much more variation rather than calling everything Carrera.

I like the concepts - and appreciate that this is diy ‘photoshopping’ - so not intended as critique of that itself - but on the topic of green/blue/black 39mm Carreras - applying imagination to the “renders”

Applied hour markers would have to be smaller - like the actual model.
For darker colour dials I think the Cal17 style case and crystal would work better. I think the smaller case and glass box would not work as well with darker colours. Though much lighter shades of green and blue would i’m sure look stunning.
In general though not sure how I feel about having near ‘identical’ colour schemes across different ranges. Part of the appeal is the uniqueness of a dial.

of the three concepts I think the one one 2nd from right would be the least likely to purchase. I think the detail of the dial would get ‘lost’.

And for a modern ‘racing’ chrono - i mean thoroughly modern now - Not some 1/2 hack between old and new mix and matching old names with new designs - why can’t they make something like this - but mechanical? Just come up with an unique non ‘heuer’ eta name? Can’t be that hard can it? They managed it with the Kirium/Link and a few other. I’d buy a modern Kirium built to a high standard in a heartbeat. Not so taken with the 2020 modern Carerrauatavias - as they are rather generic and there are similar ‘modern’ interpretations of racing chronos that already do the same thing.

That's not the idea - the idea is, there's space for a modern lineup and there's space for a regular-production line of classics. The animating idea here, though, is that the large case with the external bezel should be a different line (Autavia) which IMO would allow for much more variation rather than calling everything Carrera.

Okay, that wouldn't bother me in the slightest - so what you're saying is there should be two racing chronos, one with a bezel and one without. I can live with that. Although, it's a big change given the Carrera has had a bezel for quite a long time now. When did the Cal 16 Carreras start.. 15 years ago?

appreciate that this is diy ‘photoshopping’ - so not intended as critique of that itself - but on the topic of green/blue/black 39mm Carreras - applying imagination to the “renders”

Applied hour markers would have to be smaller - like the actual model.
For darker colour dials I think the Cal17 style case and crystal would work better. I think the smaller case and glass box would not work as well with darker colours. Though much lighter shades of green and blue would i’m sure look stunning.

The Carreras weren't even photoshop, I just cut / pasted the dials from the new Carreras "into" the case of the Montreal LE. I didn't change anything on the dials, but I do agree they'd look better with slimmer markers.

The idea here though was not to do TAG's design work for them, but rather to show them just how much better they could have done with the tiniest tweaks!

Like: The Carrera could have been so much better in a classic, elegant case - while the Carrera as it appears now, would be so much better as an Autavia. I have not changed anything on the "Autavia" render besides the name, and the subdial colors.

Okay, that wouldn't bother me in the slightest - so what you're saying is there should be two racing chronos, one with a bezel and one without. I can live with that. Although, it's a big change given the Carrera has had a bezel for quite a long time now. When did the Cal 16 Carreras start.. 15 years ago?

Not all Carreras have bezels. I have two 1887s, one with (43mm McLaren 1974 Edition) and one without (41mm 300SLR).

Although, it's a big change given the Carrera has had a bezel for quite a long time now. When did the Cal 16 Carreras start.. 15 years ago?

2005 was the first Carrera with a bezel. It had never had a bezel before in the many variations from its inception in the 1960s through its last incarnation in the '80s. The Autavia always was the larger, sportier brother, which is why I've taken this lineup of Carreras and called them Autavias.

I actually think they make very nice Autavias at that - I could even be convinced to maybe buy one! But not a Carrera.